Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #20716
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I dropped mine in the mountains of NC last march on a dirt fire road when I hit ice. Went off the road and into a ditch about 3 feet deep. I carry a rescue block and tackle and was able to pull the front end up, block it with a log then the back and block it. Took about 3 pulls on each end and finally had it back on the road. At that point I was so pumped up I picked up no problem. A trick I have used is to carry black tape and wrap it around the front brake lever so the wheel is locked and keep the bike in gear so when you lift the bike will roll because of a slope.
If you plan ahead you should have no problem. Can also think about installing a winch on the rear rack.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #20717
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Virtually any bike can be picked up with with the right techniques, but I don't think there is any doubt the S10 will be considerably more difficult to right than a KLR. If you're near your physical limits with the KLR, you may be over the limit with the S10. And I'm not a big believer that the S10 has any significant low-CG advantage over other comparable bikes - it's a tall DOHC parallel-twin with a high-mounted radiator and battery.

If you feel you need to address this concern, my suggestion is that you look at the 650-800cc adventure twins.... Wee, F800GS, Versys, etc. Or the small Tiger. Or, if your off-road needs are modest, even the CB500X which is about the same weight as your KLR, but is a lot nicer bike for highway cruising.

- Mark
Ya know, Mark... I realize you own and S10, but that sounds like an awful lot of speculative wind blowing about something you obviously haven't tried yet with your S10. I weigh 150lbs soaking wet, my left arm is nearly useless and I can pick up my S10 using only the handle bars.

I wouldn't exactly call it easy, but it's certainly not something that would have me recommending mid weight bikes to someone who owned a KLR. Maybe, when my bike was laying on its side, I should have just waved a white flag after fretting over the "tall DOHC parallel-twin with a high-mounted radiator and battery." Jeebus, fella, do you even read posts from people who've picked their bike up?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #20718
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
When I have dropped mine in the dirt, I have found the key to picking it back up is to act quickly.

Grab the darn bike and right it while the adrenaline is pumping and you are still pissed off.

If you stand up, dust yourself off, try to figure out what went wrong, take a picture, wait for the Starbucks to finish you latte, etc the energy drops and it is that much harder to right the ship.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #20719
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
When I have dropped mine in the dirt, I have found the key to picking it back up is to act quickly.

Grab the darn bike and right it while the adrenaline is pumping and you are still pissed off.

If you stand up, dust yourself off, try to figure out what went wrong, take a picture, wait for the Starbucks to finish you latte, etc the energy drops and it is that much harder to right the ship.

ac
Haha!! Naw, it's not the adrenaline. If you allow the bike to stay on it's side too long it falls asleep and becomes dead weight.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #20720
pedroecompanhia
Restless Rider

Oddometer: 43
Quote:

ac
I couldn't agree more!!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #20721
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
While true, this is also the way you can do major damage to your back by the adrenaline cashing checks your back can't pay.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #20722
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Laugh Marky Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Ya know, Mark... I realize you own and S10, but that sounds like an awful lot of speculative wind blowing about something you obviously haven't tried yet with your S10. I weigh 150lbs soaking wet, my left arm is nearly useless and I can pick up my S10 using only the handle bars.

I wouldn't exactly call it easy, but it's certainly not something that would have me recommending mid weight bikes to someone who owned a KLR. Maybe, when my bike was laying on its side, I should have just waved a white flag after fretting over the "tall DOHC parallel-twin with a high-mounted radiator and battery." Jeebus, fella, do you even read posts from people who've picked their bike up?

Ya' just gotta' understand...

Mark really doesn't like the Super Tenere much. Just about every other bike out there is better to hear him tell it. I honestly don't know why he owns one.

He forgets a low CG really does help when picking a bike up, and that just about the heaviest thing on the Super Tenere - the crankshaft - does sit very low when compared to other bikes. It also carries the majority of its fuel low and behind the engine's cylinders, rather than above them.

It's also obvious he's never picked up a KLR with a full tank of fuel, much less one with a big IMS tank and a full fuel load. Makes picking up the S-10 look like child's play.

I've dropped my Super Tenere four times... Once in very sandy conditions in a set of deep ruts, and yes, the wheels ended up higher than the bars. It was still easier to pick up than my last KLR was - period.

Quote:

ac

Amen, AC!

Works for me, and has for over 40 years, both on- and off-road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
While true, this is also the way you can do major damage to your back by the adrenaline cashing checks your back can't pay.

- Mark

And you are speaking from experience? Have you ever had such an adrenaline-induced back injury, Mark?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #20723
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Ya' just gotta' understand...

Mark really doesn't like the Super Tenere much. Just about every other bike out there is better to hear him tell it. I honestly don't know why he owns one.
That's just Mark. No big deal. Glass half empty king of guy. The plus side is he never runs out of beer.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #20724
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,467
Done the KLR and have the Tonere. While the Yam is heavier, it doesn't go flat like the KLR, so that you are deadlifting the handle bars.

Like with the Gold Wing, ST1100, BMWs, and other bikes, the Tenere has a stock set of tip over guards. Lots of us add aftermarket bars that take the place of the plastic tip over guards. Either way, they become a pivot point, so you rock the bike up that first 30(?) degrees. It's not dead weight from the ground, like the KLR.

The Tenere is much easier.

fwiw - I've had the adrenaline kick in while falling and herniated discs.
Guess that dumb-ass move doesn't count.

Wreckchecker screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 03:35 PM
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #20725
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh What? According to Mark any glass is crap unless it's Euro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
That's just Mark. No big deal. Glass half empty king of guy. The plus side is he never runs out of beer.

More like a "My glass is a POS. Don't even know why I have it. Everybody else's glass is a lot better. My glass is too heavy, too slow, too Japanese, and too reliable! European glasses are better even if they are too fragile and cost too much. And smaller glasses are better, too, because my lil' ol' arms are just too wimpy and tired to lift any other glasses. And you know, you can hurt your back unless you have a little glass!"

Funny, too... You got a bunch of folks, who have owned a whole bunch of different bikes, and they all say how easy the Super Tenere is to pick up than those other bikes, including the KLR650 in question from the guy who asked the question. Yet here comes MJ again, never missing a chance to bad-mouth the Super Tenere, saying just about any bike is better, especially if it's Euro.

You can set your watch by it... Post anything positive about the Super Tenere, regardless of what it is, and here comes Mark saying the bike is crap, and usually that Euro bikes are far superior. Like I said, I don't why he owns one... So much so I often wonder if he really does. Reading his stuff he sounds like one of those guys who doesn't own a bike at all but just sits around reading all the magazines!

Just curious... Has anyone ever seen MJ post a picture of his bike, or a ride, of any kind?

I'd love to see one.

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 11-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #20726
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
More like a "My glass is a POS. Don't even know why I have it. Everybody else's glass is a lot better. My glass is too heavy, too slow, too Japanese, and too reliable! European glasses are better even if they are too fragile and cost too much. And smaller glasses are better, too, because my lil' ol' arms are just too wimpy and tired to lift any other glasses. And you know, you can hurt your back unless you have a little glass!"

Funny, too... You got a bunch of folks, who have owned a whole bunch of different bikes, and they all say how easy the Super Tenere is to pick up than those other bikes, including the KLR650 in question from the guy who asked the question. Yet here comes MJ again, never missing a chance to bad-mouth the Super Tenere, saying just about any bike is better, especially if it's Euro.

You can set your watch by it... Post anything positive about the Super Tenere, regardless of what it is, and here comes Mark saying the bike is crap, and usually that Euro bikes are far superior. Like I said, I don't why he owns one... So much so I often wonder if he really does. Reading his stuff he sounds like one of those guys who doesn't own a bike at all but just sits around reading all the magazines!

Just curious... Has anyone ever seen MJ post a picture of his bike, or a ride, of any kind?

I'd love to see one.
He has said some good things and you missed it. He is not into having a joke, tells it as he sees it and probably disagrees with you. I mean you need the Ying and Yang. It's what makes the world go round.

Look on the bright side. He knows how to search a thread, I bet ya.

I reckon the bike is mostly spot on and is true to the design brief. That doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. It's his money. He can be depressed if he wants about it. It probably makes him happy. [Head explodes]

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #20727
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Pity the fool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
He has said some good things and you missed it. He is not into having a joke, tells it as he sees it and probably disagrees with you. I mean you need the Ying and Yang. It's what makes the world go round.

Look on the bright side. He knows how to search a thread, I bet ya.

I reckon the bike is mostly spot on and is true to the design brief. That doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. It's his money. He can be depressed if he wants about it. It probably makes him happy. [Head explodes]

You're probably right... Poor guy. He's probably never been happy a day in his life. One of those where everything in the world is better than what he's got in his hands.

You've got a good point, Graham. I should feel sorry for him.

I'd still like to see some pictures of his Super Tenere sometime, just to see what's so bad about it!

OK, now I gotta' get back to work!

Dallara

~

Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #20728
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,367
so anyway................

Brought mine home last week and am loving it,

looking to start mounting my electronics. I have a Jensen 910 Blue tooth radio, a zumo 550 and a gx30 antenna.

Does the madstad bracket work with other windscreens? I like the mounting bar on it and being able to adjust the windscreen.

I have a tall parebellum screen.

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #20729
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
so anyway................

Brought mine home last week and am loving it,

Congrats! looks great and has extras. I want one badly. I am going to sell the WRR next year and start looking for a good used one.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #20730
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,367
Lots of extras, the ohlins shock being the biggest prize.

Getting ready to list the top box, factory tank, wasp raising links and extended side stand in the flea market. All good stuff but which I don't need.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote