Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #20761
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I was thinking of doing that first, not much, just a small bit. Do the yamaha bars have the pin holes for the brake/clutch?
Yes. If you find it necessary to adjust the position of your controls, you will have to remove the tabs.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #20762
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamLeeR View Post
I have a KTM 950 I'm thinking of selling and getting the white Sup 10. I've got a buyer who wants the 950.
I rode the 2013 10 yesterday and was very impressed. Very stable on road and weight felt the same as the 950, even though its 70lbs heavier. I just love the 950 but not the maitenance.
The Sup 10 will be double the cost of what I am selling my 950 for, do you think I will see and appreciate the extra? I know it will be waaaaaay better for long trips, but not quite sure if I will be in trouble with it off road. I'm not planning on anything more difficult than gravel, fire roads, small baby heads.
From the little I've researched this bike, just started, I think it will be perfect for me.
I've just spent tons of money getting the KTM sorted and don't want to have sellers remorse, as these bikes are getting rare to find now, and mine is a gorgeous machine with more power than I could ever use.

Any folks here go from their KTM950/990s to the Tenere? Happy? Downsides/upsides?

Thanks!

Not coming from a KTM but if you can swing it, I always buy my next bike used and keep the current one till I am sure I am happy.

I always end up putting money into suspension, aftermarket seats etc and that is the money you don't get back when buying and selling.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #20763
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
I think I'll be trading my Z1000 in soon...
Welcome to the group. There are more & more of us commuting into DC on them.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #20764
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
"Any folks here go from their KTM950/990s to the Tenere? Happy? Downsides/upsides?"

I sold my 06 KTM 950 this spring. I'd purchased the Tenere the previous August. No regrets. However, I rode the KTM on dirt roads and two track in AZ but haven't used the Tenere' in similar situations yet. Maintenance on the KTM was a definite factor -- the other was that I'd find myself going way too fast out on desert roads -- the KTM was sneaky fast. The Tenere', I think, is a better all rounder. I'm at the point where new Heidenau tires are in order and more off highway exploring as a result.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #20765
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamLeeR View Post
I have a KTM 950 I'm thinking of selling and getting the white Sup 10. I've got a buyer who wants the 950.
I rode the 2013 10 yesterday and was very impressed. Very stable on road and weight felt the same as the 950, even though its 70lbs heavier. I just love the 950 but not the maitenance.
The Sup 10 will be double the cost of what I am selling my 950 for, do you think I will see and appreciate the extra? I know it will be waaaaaay better for long trips, but not quite sure if I will be in trouble with it off road. I'm not planning on anything more difficult than gravel, fire roads, small baby heads.
From the little I've researched this bike, just started, I think it will be perfect for me.
I've just spent tons of money getting the KTM sorted and don't want to have sellers remorse, as these bikes are getting rare to find now, and mine is a gorgeous machine with more power than I could ever use.

Any folks here go from their KTM950/990s to the Tenere? Happy? Downsides/upsides?

Thanks!
I used to own an 04 950 Adventure. I too sold it because of unreliability and maintenance hassles. For me, I never bonded with the KTM. The suspension was excellent, but the rest of the bike was nothing special. The brakes flat-out sucked. (A little known fact is they were lifted directly from the BMW F650 .) The carburation was horrible and the engine itself was totally pedestrian. The only thing going for it was the cache of the brand with the orange crowd (I still own a KTM for the record )

I did not go directly from the KTM to the S10, so it's difficult for me to quantify the bikes side by side. But, giving it a try, I'd say the S10 is equal to or better than the KTM in almost every area. The only area where, by my recollection, the KTM might best it would be slower more technical off road stuff, otherwise the S10 is the clearly superior bike.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #20766
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I used to own an 04 950 Adventure. I too sold it because of unreliability and maintenance hassles. For me, I never bonded with the KTM. The suspension was excellent, but the rest of the bike was nothing special. The brakes flat-out sucked. (A little known fact is they were lifted directly from the BMW F650 .) The carburation was horrible and the engine itself was totally pedestrian. The only thing going for it was the cache of the brand with the orange crowd (I still own a KTM for the record )

I did not go directly from the KTM to the S10, so it's difficult for me to quantify the bikes side by side. But, giving it a try, I'd say the S10 is equal to or better than the KTM in almost every area. The only area where, by my recollection, the KTM might best it would be slower more technical off road stuff, otherwise the S10 is the clearly superior bike.
I bought a KTM 950 SE just because I'd ridden with so many 950ADV that had serious issues. The greatest of them being the ruptured gas tanks. I've seen two of them crack and leak in the exact same spot. Now the 950 SE is a ball! But it is not a long distance highway bike. After 30 miles at 65-70 mph my neck is killing me and all I wanna do is stand on the pegs because my rear is so sore. But it is a great off road bike to me because it's tall enough to make me feel like a normal guy.
I have yet to have the S10 on a truly long distance trip but so far it is a great bike even if it makes you preplan the type of riding you intend to do. Not a bike you can hooligan on a moments notice i touring mode with traction control 1 engaged.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #20767
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Welcome to the group. There are more & more of us commuting into DC on them.
I'm pretty nervous about going from a Z1000 to a Super Tenere though. I'm scared I'll get bored.

I've sort of turned my Zed into a sport-tourer, even taking it off road a few times, lol.

I wish there was a dealer around that would let me test ride one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #20768
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I was thinking of doing that first, not much, just a small bit. Do the yamaha bars have the pin holes for the brake/clutch?
There are two holes in the bars. They are for the pins in the switch housings on each side of the bars. The brake and clutch perches are not pinned and can be rotated to suit you. There are reference punch bars in the bars for the recommended position of the clutch and brake perches and the setup person is supposed to position them there, but you can rotate them as you prefer.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #20769
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
A pic of the perches for clutch and brake.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #20770
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
I'm pretty nervous about going from a Z1000 to a Super Tenere though. I'm scared I'll get bored.

I've sort of turned my Zed into a sport-tourer, even taking it off road a few times, lol.

I wish there was a dealer around that would let me test ride one.

PM ridedualsport.com I think he came from the Kawasaki 1000. Doesn't seem to miss it much.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #20771
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
PM ridedualsport.com I think he came from the Kawasaki 1000. Doesn't seem to miss it much.
My problem is that I spend 90% of my time in town, on urban streets. I enjoy playing in the dirt sometimes though. The Pilot Road 3s I have on it currently tend to wallow a bit in the mud...

If the Z1000 had more leg room, ground clearance, traction control, and ABS; I wouldn't even be contemplating a different bike. I'm 6'2". The Zed's engine is fantastic.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #20772
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
My problem is that I spend 90% of my time in town, on urban streets. I enjoy playing in the dirt sometimes though. The Pilot Road 3s I have on it currently tend to wallow a bit in the mud...

If the Z1000 had more leg room, ground clearance, traction control, and ABS; I wouldn't even be contemplating a different bike. I'm 6'2". The Zed's engine is fantastic.

The taller gents seem to like the extra leg room of the Tenere too. With a reflash I think you
will forget about that I-4 motor.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #20773
SuperTsteve
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey guys. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while on this forum, soaking up the info. Just bought a '13 S10 last week. Now I play the waiting game until spring when I pick it up…we've already got snow on the ground in these parts. Steve
SuperTsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #20774
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The taller gents seem to like the extra leg room of the Tenere too. With a reflash I think you
will forget about that I-4 motor.
The Z1000 engine is not a typical super sport I4. It's actually surprisingly torquey.

What's this reflash you speak of?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #20775
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
The Z1000 engine is not a typical super sport I4. It's actually surprisingly torquey.

What's this reflash you speak of?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
So much out there on the refalsh. Google Tenere refalsh. Have some popcorn or at
least go to the bathroom first.

Basically it reprograms the ECU of the Tenere. Removes lower gear restrictions and cleans
up the fueling map. Does wonders on a performance level. Makes the difference between T and
S mode very noticeable and gives the modes a reason to exist.

About $450-500 and worth every penny.