ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #20926
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I don't mind mud and dirt, but the salt just destroys bikes... I rode it one time last year on the salted roads and I could see things corroding. My bike is mine forever too, its just some of us have a bit of a personality defect with keeping things new looking.

I really need a 'winter beater'. (insert Pluric innuendo here)
I thought no one used salt these days. It's been a long while since I lived in MA, but out here they use sand. Maybe it's an east coast thing. I prefer to stay in the valley where it's 70F During the day and I can ride yearround.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #20927
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I thought no one used salt these days. It's been a long while since I lived in MA, but out here they use sand. Maybe it's an east coast thing. I prefer to stay in the valley where it's 70F During the day and I can ride yearround.

They actually use both sand and salt. They drop the stuff for 1 inch of snow for petes sake.
I'm thick blooded because I'd much rather have a couple cold months to bundle up for than the scorching summers in the desert.
Besides who says we don't ride year round?

[IMG][/IMG]

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #20928
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
I thought no one used salt these days.
De-icer and sand in Oregon, but the fuggars are experimenting with salt in a few areas this year. No one wants it as it eats cars, kills evergreens and is just a bad idea.

IMHO, if you are afraid/incapable of driving in snow/ice then put on some chains or stay off the road.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #20929
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
You would think that was the reason!!!!

Do they salt in UT? I know they use a really cool blue chemical in Colorado that doesn't rust the poop out of everything.
It's like eating at a cheap restaurant, we salt EVERYTHING! How do you think the city got it's name?
That used to be a fresh water lake until the road salt got washed into it.

Cars are just covered after every storm with the salt film. Garage floor is white from it running off the cars.

So I'm going on record as YES, we salt.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #20930
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
NJ is the number 1 state for road salt use. They put it down the first night it gets below freezing and apply like we are trying to desalinate the oceans.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #20931
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
Was someone looking for a white one? http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcd/4241240700.html
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #20932
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
It's to keep the snails off the road. They are a much larger problem than New Yorkers realize.
Ohio must have the same snail problem. Wish they salt heavier in the left lanes to keep the freaking prius snails to the right.

Seriously when I lived in The Adirondack they salted pretty heavy but nothing like they do in Ohio. I think they have a salt use contract with the suppliers and have to use so much salt per year even if it's not needed.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #20933
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
I'm pretty sure GA uses salt too. A few years ago I rode my old V-Strom after they salted the roads. It was so cold that it was a while before I got around to washing the bike. Within a few months I began to notice corrosion here and there.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #20934
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Here in Colorado they use Magnesium Chloride. They spray the roads with it in liquid form before any even remote chance of snow. It gives the road that nice dark black look like the road is wet, and it's slippery as all crap, then it snows out and it doesn't matter if it's 10 below zero, the snow melts and makes the road like a slushy mess that last several days and all splashes on your windshield and you really can't use your wipers if it's 10 below zero.
Drive down the road after the slush finally subsides and the whole road looks like glare ice and sometimes it is, sometimes not. Makes for enjoyable drive, then after the road completely thaws the magnesium chloride is still there when you get on the motorcycle and is slick until about July.
In the past we've used salt and sand and a mixture. I'll take salt and or sand anyday over this crap.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #20935
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,430
I bumped into someone today. He told me that the S10 was 10 years in the design and not 4 as Yamaha previously stated.

He also said it was almost scrapped at one point as it was too heavy.

Shall I keep his identity a secret ???

EDIT: This is absolutely true without reservation
Old 12-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #20936
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I bumped into someone today. He told me that the S10 was 10 years in the design and not 4 as Yamaha previously stated.

No please tell. You'd think after 10 years they would have got 200Hp out of it.

Actually, I'd like to know why it's deemed too heavy. It's pretty comparable to other 1200cc bikes that don't break.

Do they mean, they should have started at 900cc instead?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #20937
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

EDIT: This is absolutely true without reservation
You are such a tease.

pluric, make him talk.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #20938
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
You are such a tease.

pluric, make him talk.
That's the easy part. How to get him to seems to be the challenge.

It's good I truly love the guy and Karen.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #20939
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
What's the worst quality or reliability issue anyone's seen on a S10?

I'm not talking about issues with pannier boxes, indicators, or rims...I'm wondering if anyone's had issues with the engine, electrical, or driveline or catastrophic failure of any critical component, etc.?

I've read a lot about the S10's stellar reliability and build quality so I know it's no KTM but I want to know about the worst issues even if they've only happened to a very small number of owners.

Thanks for any info
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #20940
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
What's the worst quality or reliability issue anyone's seen on a S10?

I'm not talking about issues with pannier boxes, indicators, or rims...I'm wondering if anyone's had issues with the engine, electrical, or driveline or catastrophic failure of any critical component, etc.?

I've read a lot about the S10's stellar reliability and build quality so I know it's no KTM but I want to know about the worst issues even if they've only happened to a very small number of owners.

Thanks for any info
Number one. S10 owners are spoilt brat whingy whiners.
Number two. No one is cranky enough to take anything seriously in here.
Number Three. Pluric gets target fixation and aims for rocks all the time. (or is that at rocks )
Number Four. No P words.

Anyway we get to number 10.
Reliability issues.

From the beginning.
If you land the bike from a great height on a rock you will put a hole in the "oil pan". Few of those. They are a separate piece and don't cost much (I know relative term). Easy to replace.

If you dump the bike on its left hand side you may bend the fan into the radiator, which if not bent back will burn out the fan. If the fan is not totally stuck will wear a hole in the radiator. (i don't know why people can't hear this). I know of no time when the fan punctured the radiator at point of impact.
However before you fixate on that, be aware that you can go years traveling through mud, rocks being thrown at the bike, sticks twigs and the radiator will never look like its more than a day old (sort of)

If you do not do what the manual says and re torque your spokes after bed in (600km from memory) some can come loose and scratch your swing arm paint. (see point one above). You are advised in the manual to check them occasionally after that.
On the subject of spokes, if you put big stainless steel spokes in there and tighten them to 1000Nm you will hurt your rims.

Older models have had the headlight connector / harness fry on occasions. This is usually replaced with a more robust loom.
The seals are wear items. Don't pretend that rubber metal and grinding paste is going to get along forever. (This is not S10 specific) but some people don't think about it. If you do lots of dirt check them.

If you chase KTM;'s you will loose by a bit and bend rims more than the KTM's by about 10%. Once you get used to the bike it feels easy, but not quite as easy as a KTM. It is still a tough ass 260Kg bike no matter what it is trying to tell you.

Oh two ABS units. Almost forgot. They are a German Part. Be afraid. But they are doing very well for a German part.

And yes they are pretty reliable. Mine is 3 years old and nothing has happened. (which means nothing statistically). I am now fixating on silly little things just to feel like I belong in the ADV world. Like for example...OMG!! my dash lights are slightly not perfect. WTF!!

If this kind of boredom and insanity is your thing. It's your kind of bike.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 07:32 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote