ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #21061
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post

The ole KLR now has.....................ready? 34,000



I would never have thought that.

(There is a college kid who has ridden it a bit)
I must be the odd man out, I still ride my old KLR quite a bit. Mileage has dropped off about 50% but it has 41,000 miles and climbing.
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750, H1 500
simmons1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #21062
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I must be the odd man out, I still ride my old KLR quite a bit. Mileage has dropped off about 50% but it has 41,000 miles and climbing.
Nothing wrong with loving the old KLR. Afterall the S10 is a bitch to clean.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #21063
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I currently own a Tiger 800XC, and today rode a 2012 Super Tenere for a short demo ride. I was enthusiastic about demoing the bike, but once riding it, I was underwhelmed. I thought that the Tiger handled better than the Super Tenere, and was underwhelmed with the Super Tenere motor; it felt more tractor like than motorcycle like. Perhaps the Triumph triple has spoiled me.

To all, but especially those who have any experience with the Triumph triple motor ... What am I missing about the Super Tenere? Perhaps the bike that I rode today, with 5000 miles, wasn't setup properly or something. It just didn't speak out to me... I know it's got to be better than what I experienced, given how many people swear by the bike.
For me: I came into the Tenere world from owning a Tiger 800 roadie. My focus is road riding with an occasional gravel road thrown into the mix. I like the adventure bike genre because of the features they offer rather than actually attempting to imitate Boorman and MacGregor. I have a KTM for dirty stuff. So, anyway, that's my mindset.

To me at first the Triumph was a wonderful motorcycle that I thought I would keep for the long haul. Then it started to really annoy me. The riding position was not that good for long trips. The seat was horrible and the wind management was worse. I lowered my feet with aftermarket pegs, to no avail. I also tried 4 different seats and 3 different windshields and none of them proved satisfactory to me. Those were the things that grew to bug me. The things that bugged right away was the barely adequate brakes and poor handling. The brakes weren't a big deal and could have been improved with better pads, but the suspension was total bargain basement stuff that needed a ton of cash to improve. The XC is better than the roadie, which is what I had. The final straw, if you will, was the gearing. The motor is completely intoxicating, but the gearing is absolutely rubbish. Super tall first gear, short gearing the rest of the way to sixth, with sixth being too low for comfortable highway use. I stalled that bike more than any bike I ever owned (and that's a lot of them). First gear is so tall combined with an engine with relatively little off idle torque, you get stalls.

The Tenere is faster than the Tiger, if that's important to you. It may not feel that way, but it is. In sport mode, it is fairly lively if ridden aggressively. I feel the S10 bests the Triumph in all of the ways I enumerated the short comings of the Tiger. However, I do readily admit that I miss that triple. That motor is pure audio sex.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #21064
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Pluric, you've trashed the wheels on a KLR also? What the hell are you guys doing out there?
More of a reference to the Tenere. KLR and a couple others are just normal 'dings'.

Guess they call these the "Rocky Mountains" for a reason.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #21065
racer
Beastly Adventurer
 
racer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Gentlemen, I have come to you tonight seeking advice and information on a Super Tenere.

I currently own a 2004 KLR650. It's a fun bike, a wonderful bike, I love it to death, and won't be getting rid of it... BUT... I find myself in a constant need of something a little bit bigger, bit more powerful, better road manners, etc. etc. etc. thus, I have been researching the Super Tenere all day long.

What can you gents tell me about the bike? Issues, performance, what have ye.

And incase anybody asks, I've been riding 2 wheeled nonsense for I forget how long, longer than 10 years likely.
Xpress, I've had two KLR's, the first a 98 and an 05. As I recall, I was underwelmed riding home on my first KLR. However, they have a way of growing on you. I soon found myself adding an FJR to the garage. It was a nice combination KLR and FJR. But after a few years, I wanted to get to one bike. Sold the KLR and traded the FJR on a 650 Vstrom. Great bike, great motor and tranny and handles like a motard, however, it is small, for me at least.

I'm now on a Tenere and loving it. They say if you don't turn around and look at your bike after getting off, you bought the wrong bike. Sounds crazy, but I find myself wandering out to the garage just to look at it sometimes.

If you buy a Super Tenere, I can assure you, you will not ride your KLR. The Tenere will have your full undivided attention. I am impressed with detail and thought that Yamaha has put into the design of this bike. When you start to personalize this bike, you will find little things that have been built in that permit you to add things. Lots of mounting holes and tabs where they are needed. The passenger seat comes off and the rear rack can easily be lowered to provide a longer level rack.

Quality, fit and finish........upside down forks, protaper bars, tubeless spoked wheels, shaft drive, trick foot pegs, hand protectors, traction control and ABS that works, and two levels of engine mapping. Yes it is heavy, however, that feeling goes away once underway.

Last fall, we had some fast guys come around me and a friend on a twisty technical road. I was able to chase them down in sport mode. Last week, we explored the Hoosier National Forest on back roads, and I was thankful for the touring mode when we got on to a road still covered with snow and ice.

The seat is adjustable from the factory, but can easily be adjusted further by moving a few rubber bumpers around, as if MomaYama intended it to be.

Underway, the bike has a real confidence inspiring feeling about it. It just feels rock solid.

What it needs. Put a skid plate on it. Side cases are nice. If you're going run a lot of highway miles, a Kaoko throttle lock is great. I was put off at first by the "premium fuel only" sticker, however, I've seen no adverse affects running regular gas. Doing the air screw adjustment cleans up the low end stumble, and if you absolutely have to have more power, it's easiely obtained with a 500 dollar reflash of the ECU.

Anyway, I'm loving it, and not looking back. Good luck with your decision.
__________________
Every bike I ever owned, was the best bike I ever owned when I owned it. Well, except for that one Harley
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #21066
racer
Beastly Adventurer
 
racer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
More of a reference to the Tenere. KLR and a couple others are just normal 'dings'.

Guess they call these the "Rocky Mountains" for a reason.
Sorry, read your post wrong. Nuked the response too late.
__________________
Every bike I ever owned, was the best bike I ever owned when I owned it. Well, except for that one Harley
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #21067
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Sorry, read your post wrong. Nuked the response too late.
No problem. This day was a 'twofer'. Got the front wheel and later in the day bent the rear.
When are they going to start making these things for the "average" size American???

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #21068
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
No problem. This day was a 'twofer'. Got the front wheel and later in the day bent the rear.
When are they going to start making these things for the "average" size American???

I prefer the bike that was made for the super sized American.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #21069
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,720
We did the KLR and had the same outcome as Snakebitten after buying the Tenere to replace the last FJR. The Tenere easily did the roles for both, KLR got parked, then the son took it to college. He replaced it with the WeeStrom.

Two thoughts for the 3 mile test ride: First, I rode 3 before ordering on the US pre-delivery plan (PDP) and was fortunate to actually be able to get on an early European one that didn't suffer with the early US fuel map. I never would have ordered the bike if my first test ride was the Yamaha Dealer Demo Day bike that was the last one to try. That bike was set up wrong and had an off-idle stumble that was horrible.

Second thought is that the Tenere response is deceptive. The bike is so solid you just don't get the cues that come from a smaller lighter bike that transmits more to your fingers and toes. Stock, the Tenere doesn't loosen up till about 1,500 miles and they do get quicker. In the end, the Tenere has become the road and gravel road bike. Plus, my gf likes the back seat more than any other bike she's been on. (I did raise the front about 3/8") If I had - God forbid - to cut to one bike, the Tenere would stay.

But to keep a loaner for my son coming to town and other visitors, plus as a run-around and for real dirt trails, I picked up a WR250R and have been doing a few mods to make it more fun. What a blast! As Jay Leno says, you can't be too rich or have too many motorcycles.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #21070
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..
 
XpressCS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The big box California
Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Xpress, I've had two KLR's, the first a 98 and an 05. As I recall, I was underwelmed riding home on my first KLR. However, they have a way of growing on you. I soon found myself adding an FJR to the garage. It was a nice combination KLR and FJR. But after a few years, I wanted to get to one bike. Sold the KLR and traded the FJR on a 650 Vstrom. Great bike, great motor and tranny and handles like a motard, however, it is small, for me at least.

I'm now on a Tenere and loving it. They say if you don't turn around and look at your bike after getting off, you bought the wrong bike. Sounds crazy, but I find myself wandering out to the garage just to look at it sometimes.

If you buy a Super Tenere, I can assure you, you will not ride your KLR. The Tenere will have your full undivided attention. I am impressed with detail and thought that Yamaha has put into the design of this bike. When you start to personalize this bike, you will find little things that have been built in that permit you to add things. Lots of mounting holes and tabs where they are needed. The passenger seat comes off and the rear rack can easily be lowered to provide a longer level rack.

Quality, fit and finish........upside down forks, protaper bars, tubeless spoked wheels, shaft drive, trick foot pegs, hand protectors, traction control and ABS that works, and two levels of engine mapping. Yes it is heavy, however, that feeling goes away once underway.

Last fall, we had some fast guys come around me and a friend on a twisty technical road. I was able to chase them down in sport mode. Last week, we explored the Hoosier National Forest on back roads, and I was thankful for the touring mode when we got on to a road still covered with snow and ice.

The seat is adjustable from the factory, but can easily be adjusted further by moving a few rubber bumpers around, as if MomaYama intended it to be.

Underway, the bike has a real confidence inspiring feeling about it. It just feels rock solid.

What it needs. Put a skid plate on it. Side cases are nice. If you're going run a lot of highway miles, a Kaoko throttle lock is great. I was put off at first by the "premium fuel only" sticker, however, I've seen no adverse affects running regular gas. Doing the air screw adjustment cleans up the low end stumble, and if you absolutely have to have more power, it's easiely obtained with a 500 dollar reflash of the ECU.

Anyway, I'm loving it, and not looking back. Good luck with your decision.
Well the thing is I form an attachment to the bikes I buy. I buy bikes to keep them, I don't buy to sell after a while. I have only ever sold 2 bikes, both of which I sold because I needed the money more than I needed the bikes at the time (more financially stable at the moment). I am still deeply fascinated by my 1980 Honda ATC110 I bought well over a decade ago, even though I have 2 1984 Honda ATC200X's and a 1984 Kawasaki KXT250 Tecate, all 3 of which offer vastly superior handling and power characteristics, as well as having actual suspension. Just to use as an example... And since the KLR is basically paid off, it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

So just because I buy a better bike doesn't mean I'm willing to give up on the old one. Plus I like messing with the KLR, the engine is going on the chopping block once I have another bike in the stable (I'm actually thinking my next bike will be a Yamaha FZ-09, something sporty for street only, before I go with another offroad toy like the Tenere ) to get a full rebuild. I like buying these kinds of bikes because they keep me occupied in my seemingly endless free time, I like tweaking them, improving suspension here, handling there, brakes over there, so on and so forth
__________________
2004 KLR650

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #21071
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,482
Flash Tune vs. ECU unleashed? Any others?

Bike will be apart for a while as Russel does my seat, I get the bike painted yellow (bought it with some damage) and I get up the courage to check the valves.

I'm pretty happy with it as is with the clutch mod but considering going all the way while it is apart.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #21072
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
I like buying these kinds of bikes because they keep me occupied in my seemingly endless free time,
Free time? Could someone explain for me.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #21073
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..
 
XpressCS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The big box California
Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Free time? Could someone explain for me.
That's what you get when you don't sleep
__________________
2004 KLR650

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #21074
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Flash Tune vs. ECU unleashed? Any others?

Bike will be apart for a while as Russel does my seat, I get the bike painted yellow (bought it with some damage) and I get up the courage to check the valves.

I'm pretty happy with it as is with the clutch mod but considering going all the way while it is apart.
I went with a PCV and a dyno tune with the clutch jumper. Have a full system and BMC air filter. It runs great, gets 45 mpg and have never had the start issue. I do not have the option of switching modes and if I pull the clutch jumper it does not run as strong. I would go with the Tune Ecu flash if just a slip on but the best is a flash and PC with dyno or auto tune!
__________________
Current Bikes: 2014 BMW GSA, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2012 Vespa 300 Super (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #21075
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,953
There has always been a suspicion of a close bond between KLRs and Teneres.

Proof has been discovered....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-By-Sampsonite
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015