ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #21061
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
To all, but especially those who have any experience with the Triumph triple motor ... What am I missing about the Super Tenere? Perhaps the bike that I rode today, with 5000 miles, wasn't setup properly or something. It just didn't speak out to me... I know it's got to be better than what I experienced, given how many people swear by the bike.
I have a friend who just bought a new Tiger 800 (non-XC) and we did a 3-K mile trip last fall, myself on my S10. We traded bikes a few times.

The bikes are very VERY different and I completely understand if you simply prefer the Tiger. Just because a bike has people who love it doesn't mean it is going to "speak" to you personally. And the S10 is hardly a universally-acclaimed motorcycle; some comparison tests have been very negative, saying it isn't "in the same league" as the competition. Your opinion isn't an outlier.

The Tiger is lighter, nimbler, has a smoother engine, revs higher, and is only slightly down on power (low-80's vs. 90 or so). But these traits also have their downside - I found the Tiger to be very nervous at speed with none of the rock-solid stability of the S10, short on torque, and not nearly as comfortable with a relatively cramped riding position, poor seat, and lousy wind protection with a lot of buffeting (perhaps solvable in the aftermarket). The S10 starts out being a much larger bike to begin with and their relative attributes make it seem even more so. Stuff like shaft drive doesn't come cheap, either in cost or weight. I loved the Tiger on the tight twisty parts of our ride, but actively disliked it on the droning portions. My final hit on the Tiger is that it looks/feels very cheap in the cockpit, but I realize this is subjective. I just think the S10 looks/feels like a LOT more motorcycle, for both the good and bad.

Many describe the S10 as a bit of a tractor. Some like tractors, others don't. Many also describe it as a "slow burn" bike that requires a lot of riding/time to appreciate its strengths. If you want a bigger, more substantial adv bike that is less of a tractor, both BMW and KTM are producing some pretty compelling big adv twins at the moment, not to mention Triumph's Explorer if you prefer the 3-cyl approach to an adv bike. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 06:16 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #21062
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I currently own a Tiger 800XC, and today rode a 2012 Super Tenere for a short demo ride. I was enthusiastic about demoing the bike, but once riding it, I was underwhelmed. I thought that the Tiger handled better than the Super Tenere, and was underwhelmed with the Super Tenere motor; it felt more tractor like than motorcycle like. Perhaps the Triumph triple has spoiled me.
You sound like everyone else.

Anyway I had to answer a few questions after 3 test rides.

How does it feel on a bunch of gravel and stuff that wants to throw you off?
Wash board in the middle of a corner?
Heaves mid corner while cranked over?
Can I chugga up some gnarly hill at 1500RPM?
How do I feel after 7 hours in the saddle on crappy roads?
Fuel range?
Two up with luggage and camping?
Ability to cope with regular fuel?
Will it leave me stranded 200km from anywhere in 40Deg C heat.
Can it cross deep water that was dry when I went in?
Is the radiator still working after 100km of clay mud crap?

Strangely I couldn't get a test ride that answered those questions. I had to wait and see from owners experiences.

Anyway. The S10 was never designed to be a "test ride bike" and it tends to grow on you as you survive a bunch of things that you thought couldn't be done on a big pig. Its a tool for a job.

Yes it's a tractor, which is what it was born to be. It's a relaxed mile muncher. It was actually designed from, the ground up to be a "long way round without the support vehicles" machine. Like a higher quality "double DR650". It had years out in the desert in Africa before its launch. You can see a bunch of things on the S10 which was done just to keep things working in extreme conditions.The Super Ten is a giant trail bike. Slower in the turn in, but keeps it's line. Trail bike steering geometry, Trail bike tuned motor, Easy on the gravel and bull dust. Very low COG. (thank YAMAHA it didn't get trail bike COG)

Tiger is a good bike but it also a jacked up street bike, saved by the 10% lower weight (measure them one day).
If Tiger Australia had decided to charge sane prices for it I probably would have one for at least a while OR a DR650.

I almost bought a Tiger, I won't disagree about the motor, except it's a whiny SOB. I find that very annoying. It's like having a high maintenance girlfriend along on every ride.

The Super Ten, well it's like having this guy as your riding buddy.

Both great bikes. If you don't get the S10 or have no use for its attributes, Don't worry about it.

We get it all the time. Like I said for me, it was a toss up between two different personalities. I just had to pick the best one for my current life.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 06:36 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #21063
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,540
if i was looking for an 800 the tiger was what i would choose. smooth as glass and quick enough. a great around town bike. but i wanted a big bike i can load up and hit the highways 40000 miles a year and for that a tiger 800 isnt close. and the tiger braking isnt as good as the yamaha
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #21064
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The Tiger is lighter, nimbler, has a smoother engine, revs higher, and is only slightly down on power (low-80's vs. 90 or so). But these traits also have their downside - I found the Tiger to be very nervous at speed with none of the rock-solid stability of the S10, short on torque, and not nearly as comfortable with a relatively cramped riding position, poor seat, and lousy wind protection with a lot of buffeting (perhaps solvable in the aftermarket). The S10 starts out being a much larger bike to begin with and their relative attributes make it seem even more so. Stuff like shaft drive doesn't come cheap, either in cost or weight. I loved the Tiger on the tight twisty parts of our ride, but actively disliked it on the droning portions. My final hit on the Tiger is that it looks/feels very cheap in the cockpit, but I realize this is subjective. I just think the S10 looks/feels like a LOT more motorcycle, for both the good and bad.
Unfortunately, I was only allowed to ride the Super Tenere about three miles, which is not nearly enough time to really get a feeling on a bike. Hence, I came here, to try to connect 2 & 2.

I agree on the Tiger having a poor seat, riding position not as roomy as it could be, and wind protection leaving room for improvement. I have a non-stock windscreen on the Triumph, but even with that, on my short Super Tenere ride, I could tell that the wind protection was better on the Super Tenere.

Funny thing is, my opinion was that the Super Tenere cockpit felt much cheaper than the Triumph; complete opposite of your opinion. It's interesting to see the variety of opinions on the same subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Many describe the S10 as a bit of a tractor. Some like tractors, others don't. Many also describe it as a "slow burn" bike that requires a lot of riding/time to appreciate its strengths. If you want a bigger, more substantial adv bike that is less of a tractor, both BMW and KTM are producing some pretty compelling big adv twins at the moment, not to mention Triumph's Explorer if you prefer the 3-cyl approach to an adv bike. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
OK, that makes sense. The BMW boxer is one that requires some miles/time to fully appreciate. I was wondering if the Super Tenere is perhaps similar in that regard. It sounds like perhaps it is.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #21065
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Anyway. The S10 was never designed to be a "test ride bike" and it tends to grow on you as you survive a bunch of things that you thought couldn't be done on a big pig. Its a tool for a job.
Interesting perspective.
I have no doubt it's a great bike. I just wish that I could have rode it for a few hours, not a few minutes. I think many of my reservations, and questions, would have been answered.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #21066
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,198
Gentlemen, I have come to you tonight seeking advice and information on a Super Tenere.

I currently own a 2004 KLR650. It's a fun bike, a wonderful bike, I love it to death, and won't be getting rid of it... BUT... I find myself in a constant need of something a little bit bigger, bit more powerful, better road manners, etc. etc. etc. thus, I have been researching the Super Tenere all day long.

What can you gents tell me about the bike? Issues, performance, what have ye.

And incase anybody asks, I've been riding 2 wheeled nonsense for I forget how long, longer than 10 years likely.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #21067
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,478
Laugh wood!!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #21068
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
It's the ghost of Jamev come to haunt us.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #21069
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Gentlemen, I have come to you tonight seeking advice and information on a Super Tenere.

I currently own a 2004 KLR650. It's a fun bike, a wonderful bike, I love it to death, and won't be getting rid of it... BUT... I find myself in a constant need of something a little bit bigger, bit more powerful, better road manners, etc. etc. etc. thus, I have been researching the Super Tenere all day long.

What can you gents tell me about the bike? Issues, performance, what have ye.

And incase anybody asks, I've been riding 2 wheeled nonsense for I forget how long, longer than 10 years likely.
I'm on my second KLR and have the Tenere as well. Since buying the Tenere my son is the
only one who has ridden the KLR. I just have no use for it. I'll take the Tenere in the same off
road spots I would the KLR. It's paid for it with some wheel damage. Other than that it's quite
impressive as an all rounder.

Absolutely no comparison in ride quality and long distance comfort. I promise you
won't look back on the KLR.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #21070
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,478
Laugh double wood!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #21071
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
That probably cost less than a GSA you know, especially after Jamev had finished with it.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #21072
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm on my second KLR and have the Tenere as well. Since buying the Tenere my son is the
only one who has ridden the KLR. I just have no use for it. I'll take the Tenere in the same off
road spots I would the KLR. It's paid for it with some wheel damage. Other than that it's quite
impressive as an all rounder.

Absolutely no comparison in ride quality and long distance comfort. I promise you
won't look back on the KLR.
While I highly doubt I would want to ditch the KLR all together, I am still looking for a different bike to futz with when the KLR gets boring. I like the KLR for it's profound simplicity though.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #21073
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
All us KLRistas said the same thing.

My KLR had 34,000 miles on it when I bought the Tenere. It was no garage queen.

The Tenere now has 33,600.

The ole KLR now has.....................ready? 34,000

I would never have thought that.

(There is a college kid who has ridden it a bit)
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #21074
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
While I highly doubt I would want to ditch the KLR all together, I am still looking for a different bike to futz with when the KLR gets boring. I like the KLR for it's profound simplicity though.
The doohickey was broken on both on both of mine. They are shim style valve adjustments
kind of a pain if you don't have a shim set. My first one had the compression release system
come apart requiring a new head. Other than the carb I don't think they are anymore simplistic
than other Japanese chain drive bikes. Under powered for their size. Weak suspension and
not that smooth on the highway. Yet they endear themselves to their owners. Just saying
owning both you realize what you endured on the KLR.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #21075
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
All us KLRistas said the same thing.

My KLR had 34,000 miles on it when I bought the Tenere. It was no garage queen.

The Tenere now has 33,600.

The ole KLR now has.....................ready? 34,000

I would never have thought that.

(There is a college kid who has ridden it a bit)
Don't feel bad, I had a R1150GS with 80K on it, loved that bike . . . .

Bought the Tenere, and the GS became a garage queen, now guess how many miles are on it?

Ready for it . . . I don't know I sold it a couple months later

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote