Don't really know why...but it is.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #22157
SpaGuru
Super Stalker

Oddometer: 21
Touratech vs. Yamaha Panniers

My wife's ST has the Yamaha Panniers as they were already installed on the machine when we bought it and mine was bare with no accessories at all. After checking hers out and looking at the cost of them compared to the Touratech Zega Pros, it was a no brainer for me. The Touratech was clearly the way to go.

Things I didn't like about the Factory Yamaha Bags -

The lock system is a pain in the ass. REQUIRES the machine key, or a keyed alike spare to even open or close the boxes. My ST came with the three extra lock cylinders if I wanted to purchase the factory Yamaha Boxes but they do not work with the Touratech boxes.

They box lids do not pull down tightly and wobble at any speed. There is a decent gasket under the lid but the lid wobbles all over the place when the bike is in motion. I have witnessed this from behind my wife's bike.

The interior of the boxes are not smooth but littered with plastic ribs and bracing which does not make it easy to slide your hand or anything else down into the box.

The mounting system for the boxes is all plastic. No metal mounting points what-so-ever. There are even aluminum rivets used to hold the plastic pieces to the pannier rack that hold the boxes.

The boxes do not provide any good place to attach a bungee strap or Rok Strap to lash anything to the outside of the box such as a sleeping bag or tent.

They do seem to be holding up well but we really do not like the "key to open or close" feature as it causes undue wear on the ignition cylinder and usually a trip back to the front of the bike after you have already disembarked to grab the key so you can open the boxes.

Removing the boxes is not difficult but they make the plastic handles on the boxes small and requires 2 hands to carry one box.

We have the box liners from Yamaha as well and they are nice and fit good.

My Touratech Zega Pros are the larger sized ones - the biggest they make - and I love them. Got them in the Titanium finish so they do not wear off onto items I may have strapped to top of box.

Heavy duty latches that can be locked or left unlocked.

Much more secure mounting system.

Side Box Lids can be opened either way or completely removed

Top box has quick release to remove box (which I never use).

Each box has built in bungee or strap mounting points for external straps

O-Ring sealed lids that close tightly.

Minimal interior obstructions

Smooth interior and exterior which supports putting stickers and other stuff on the inside or outside of the boxes...

The Yamaha boxes are insanely expensive even if you compare them to the insanely expensive Touratech products, but the quality is 10 times the factory boxes IMHO.

Just my thoughts on the comparison of the two brands...
SpaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #22158
SpaGuru
Super Stalker

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, I got this reply from Elka today ...
I have also received similar correspondence from John at Elka. I would be very interested in an early buy as I run Elkas on many of my machines and have found them to be so much nicer than other brands it's unbelievable.

Customer support is top notch and I really have nothing bad to say about them at all. I always buy my stuff directly from Elka as they are set up exactly they way I request them.
SpaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #22159
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaGuru View Post

The boxes do not provide any good place to attach a bungee strap or Rok Strap to lash anything to the outside of the box such as a sleeping bag or tent.
I got around that by using flat bottom duffel bags. Securely hold whatever I stuff in there.
Usually bulky clothes and extra gas cans.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #22160
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 423
The stock panniers rock. You just need to change out the screws. I replaced the screws with stainless steel longer screws with an added lock washers. Have had no problems at all works smooth now. No finicking. My panniers were free. So im not going out and paying 1500. when i have all i really need.

With a little effort you can save yourself a lot of dollars!!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #22161
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
The Touratech was clearly the way to go.

The Yamaha boxes are insanely expensive even if you compare them to the insanely expensive Touratech products, but the quality is 10 times the factory boxes IMHO.

I agree. I went for the black ones:

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #22162
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Home made Pelican:

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #22163
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I got around that by using flat bottom duffel bags. Securely hold whatever I stuff in there.
Usually bulky clothes and extra gas cans.

I customized mine with loops. Worked great tested on a Death valley 1300 mile trip in pouring 8 hour non stop rains. No leak at all. Worked fabulous! 11 dollars of parts and 1 hour of my time.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #22164
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Death valley ride with Blue tenere and two Muliti's

Utah southern desert

Another pic to see my Pannier custom job.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #22165
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
My wife's ST has the Yamaha Panniers as they were already installed on the machine when we bought it and mine was bare with no accessories at all. After checking hers out and looking at the cost of them compared to the Touratech Zega Pros, it was a no brainer for me. The Touratech was clearly the way to go.

Things I didn't like about the Factory Yamaha Bags -

The lock system is a pain in the ass. REQUIRES the machine key, or a keyed alike spare to even open or close the boxes. My ST came with the three extra lock cylinders if I wanted to purchase the factory Yamaha Boxes but they do not work with the Touratech boxes.

They box lids do not pull down tightly and wobble at any speed. There is a decent gasket under the lid but the lid wobbles all over the place when the bike is in motion. I have witnessed this from behind my wife's bike.

The interior of the boxes are not smooth but littered with plastic ribs and bracing which does not make it easy to slide your hand or anything else down into the box.

The mounting system for the boxes is all plastic. No metal mounting points what-so-ever. There are even aluminum rivets used to hold the plastic pieces to the pannier rack that hold the boxes.

They do seem to be holding up well but we really do not like the "key to open or close" feature as it causes undue wear on the ignition cylinder and usually a trip back to the front of the bike after you have already disembarked to grab the key so you can open the boxes.

Removing the boxes is not difficult but they make the plastic handles on the boxes small and requires 2 hands to carry one box.

We have the box liners from Yamaha as well and they are nice and fit good.

My Touratech Zega Pros are the larger sized ones - the biggest they make - and I love them. Got them in the Titanium finish so they do not wear off onto items I may have strapped to top of box.

Heavy duty latches that can be locked or left unlocked.

Much more secure mounting system.

Side Box Lids can be opened either way or completely removed

Top box has quick release to remove box (which I never use).

Each box has built in bungee or strap mounting points for external straps

O-Ring sealed lids that close tightly.

Minimal interior obstructions

Smooth interior and exterior which supports putting stickers and other stuff on the inside or outside of the boxes...

10k plus miles with oem panniers and not one issue with any of the mounts or plastic parts nothing broken and i have crashed and dropped the bike a few times. Been on high speed grated dirt roads and not once had any issue. Yes they don't close real tight. But no water has ever gotten in and or dust. But if you buy the bike without panniers then hell ya go with after market. Bigger and stouter. But if your bike comes with it or you get a deal with pannier thrown in then they are all you really need. And work just fine. Mine were thrown in with the deal. I love them. Rather spend 1500.00 to 2500. on other farkles.
I would love Jesse bags but that is for my next birthday or so.
bd
Old 03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #22166
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
10k plus miles with oem panniers and not one issue with any of the mounts or plastic parts nothing broken and i have crashed and dropped the bike a few times. Been on high speed grated dirt roads and not once had any issue. Yes they don't close real tight. But no water has ever gotten in and or dust. But if you buy the bike without panniers then hell ya go with after market. Bigger and stouter. But if your bike comes with it or you get a deal with pannier thrown in then they are all you really need. And work just fine. Mine were thrown in with the deal. I love them. Rather spend 1500.00 to 2500. on other farkles.
This is a the other side of the coin. The Yamaha bags are admittedly lighter-duty and smaller, but some of us view this as an advantage, not a disadvantage. And they're narrower, lighter, and much better integrated with the bike; they don't look like you bought them at Home Depot. Many of the things that people complain about (like the lids and flimsy plastic construction) are more theoretical issues rather then practical ones. And many dealers are discounting the bags.

Bigger/heavier/more-robust isn't necessarily better. It's all about what you're after.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #22167
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
+1 for Pelican case. Over 66.000 km still water tight with lots of beatings, and for around $1100 for two IM2600 cases including all the hardware not a bad deal.

Jeff
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #22168
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
I have also received similar correspondence from John at Elka. I would be very interested in an early buy as I run Elkas on many of my machines and have found them to be so much nicer than other brands it's unbelievable.

Customer support is top notch and I really have nothing bad to say about them at all. I always buy my stuff directly from Elka as they are set up exactly they way I request them.
I also told them I'd be interested in the group buy, so we'll see what transpires.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #22169
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, I got this reply from Elka today ...
I am close to pulling the trigger on the Touratech extreme shock. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...Tenere-XT1200Z

Any idea what the ballpark pricing would be on the Elka shock and what features it would have?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #22170
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
This is a the other side of the coin. The Yamaha bags are admittedly lighter-duty and smaller, but some of us view this as an advantage, not a disadvantage. And they're narrower, lighter, and much better integrated with the bike; they don't look like you bought them at Home Depot. Many of the things that people complain about (like the lids and flimsy plastic construction) are more theoretical issues rather then practical ones. And many dealers are discounting the bags.

Bigger/heavier/more-robust isn't necessarily better. It's all about what you're after.

- Mark
Oddly enough, I don't like the Yam ones either but the bike came with them and when I went serious touring, I changed them for a horribly expensive set of Metal Mule ones. Including the rear rack they were over $2300. I am now going to change them back for the Yam ones for lightness and the fact that I do not need heavy, bomb proof foot lockers anymore.