Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #22291
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Welcome from TN

Quite a few bikes being sold now or so it seems. Enjoy!
You always get that after something has been out a couple of years. Time for the latest and greatest I suppose.
I've always been a bit more reserved about my motorcycle purchases and find that the Tenere is a great motorcycle at any price. I think people nit pick too much about some things, but the Tenere is a very sound design and will make me a fine steed for quite a few years.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #22292
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Well after 2 years of procrastination, I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2013 in white. My boss made me too good of a deal ( I work in a Yamaha shop) on one that was ordered with the 20% buy down that Yamaha offered to help alleviate some inventory in the warehouse. Add to that the crazy low 3.49% financing it turned into a no brainer.

After seeing that the standard 2014 wasn't great leaps and bounds different, I figured the 2013 would be just fine. I really like the white color the best anyhow.

Pic's to follow in a couple of days as I'll take possession of it on Saturday

You'll find that this bike gets better and better with every single mile. Give it some serious time to break in. I've got 20k on mine and it runs so much better than when it was new.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #22293
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
Also, put some Teflon tape (white color, it's use to seal pipes when screwing) around the plug to improve sealing.
I agree with others, this is not necessary. However, if you feel the need to do it, normal white teflon tape is not resistant to petroleum products like oil and gas and will just get slimy w/o sealing anything in short order.

There is a similar product called "Gas Seal Tape" that is thicker, yellow in color and is gas proof. It's typically used for propane and LNG pipe, but will work well for gasoline or oil also. For those readers in the US, this can be found at any Home Depot in the metal pipe area.

The crush washers are there as much to prevent damage to the threads by minor over tightening as for any sealing benefits. Many people re-use the copper and aluminum ones until they become deformed. The actual crush type style that crushes down as you tighten is formed to fit those exact surfaces and ideally should be replaced each time, though again, many people re-use them with no ill effects since the two mating surfaces are often clean and free from damage on new bikes.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #22294
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I agree with others, this is not necessary. However, if you feel the need to do it, normal white teflon tape is not resistant to petroleum products like oil and gas and will just get slimy w/o sealing anything in short order.
Locktite 565 thread sealant works great with oil but may affect torque settings, be gentle with aluminum.
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #22295
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I am normally not a big fan of white bikes but the tenere looks great in white. especially after adding some world crosser decals. Looks amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Well after 2 years of procrastination, I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2013 in white. My boss made me too good of a deal ( I work in a Yamaha shop) on one that was ordered with the 20% buy down that Yamaha offered to help alleviate some inventory in the warehouse. Add to that the crazy low 3.49% financing it turned into a no brainer.

After seeing that the standard 2014 wasn't great leaps and bounds different, I figured the 2013 would be just fine. I really like the white color the best anyhow.

Pic's to follow in a couple of days as I'll take possession of it on Saturday
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #22296
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,632
On our way back to Antiqua Guatemala to synch up with Julio and Luisa (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765375) for some R&R after a medical mission to the highlands, we bumped into Lazaro. Nice guy, full of information and recently road his SuperT to Alaska and back.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #22297
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Check out the for sale thread

I just put my new Sargent seat for sale on in the for sale thread. $275 details there, pictures on the Tenere forum.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #22298
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I'm looking at getting a 2012 or 2013 at the current firesale prices. The only thing holding me back is passenger comfort. The wifey was used to a Goldwing-ya, I know this isn't a GW-but, I'd like to be able to make the rear seat really comfortable including having a back rest with the curved in sides fabricated to attach to the Top box. Anyone out there have something like that?
Also, mine will spent 90% on the slab. Besides cruise, is the 2014 mo better?
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #22299
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Givi sales a seat back rest that can be attached to the top box.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 AM   #22300
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:

Or you can just tap tight the nut on the sides of the teeth soft and nice with a big flat screwdriver. The inner top nut has only 18 Nm so should not be very tight. The inner lower nut has 52 Nm, so that one can be harder. You have to do first the Lower one. Then you check that the steem pivot to side to side soft before you even tighten the main nut, that should have 130 Nm and is a 36 metric size wrench.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Juan,

I read this differently from the manual.

Only the the lower toothed nut is torqued, but it is done twice. The first, "initial", at 52 Nm, is done to 'seat' the bearing. Then flex the steering to bed it in. Check the torque again to make sure it is at the correct torque. Then the nut is backed off and then re-torqued, "final", at 18 Nm to allow enough play to stop excessive wear. The rubber washer is then placed on end then the top nut. The washer is crushed slightly (finger tight) by the top nut just to stop the lower one coming loose.

Hope this helps ... Ray
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #22301
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Juan,

I read this differently from the manual.

Only the the lower toothed nut is torqued, but it is done twice. The first, "initial", at 52 Nm, is done to 'seat' the bearing. Then flex the steering to bed it in. Check the torque again to make sure it is at the correct torque. Then the nut is backed off and then re-torqued, "final", at 18 Nm to allow enough play to stop excessive wear. The rubber washer is then placed on end then the top nut. The washer is crushed slightly (finger tight) by the top nut just to stop the lower one coming loose.

Hope this helps ... Ray
Yes your are right, Its a bit confusing, but its is right, the are two torques sessions, AND I HAVE CORRECTED THE TEXT,

Cheers man.

Juan Valderrama screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 06:56 AM
Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #22302
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Headlight Wiring Recall

So I finally received my headlight wiring recall notice from Yamaha today.

Has anyone had the work done?

Do you know if they cut into the harness? or just crimp a new plug on? or replace it?

I haven't experienced the problem and want to know what I'm in for before I let them touch the bike.

Call me a skeptic, but I've regretted letting certain dealers touch my bike in the past.
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #22303
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post

Do you know if they cut into the harness? or just crimp a new plug on? or replace it?

I haven't experienced the problem and want to know what I'm in for before I let them touch the bike.

Call me a skeptic, but I've regretted letting certain dealers touch my bike in the past.
They replace the harness that is in the headlight assembly.

Mine failed a year and a half ago. I reported it to my dealer and then rebuilt my existing harness. The harness I rebuilt has out lasted the original one.

I may never get it done, or maybe if it ever goes to the shop for something else I'll have it done along with the recall on fuel pump I haven't had done yet.

simmons1 screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 05:14 PM
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #22304
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post

Can u send an image of the recall message? Could be interesting for those of us overseas in tropical places....

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #22305
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Givi sales a seat back rest that can be attached to the top box.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z

is it the E68 back rest?