ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #22396
MikeNewAdventure
AATW ON 2WHEELS

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Welcome to the asylum MikeNewAdventure.

I would look seriously at this If I were you...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transcend...-/190557405930

I'll get back to you later about any other idea's.
What was this about??
SD CARDS, PLEASE...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #22397
MikeNewAdventure
AATW ON 2WHEELS

Oddometer: 9
MikeNewAdventure:AllAroundTheWorldOn2Wheels

I've been testing loads, in different places to see where's the best place to put things. Also to see how, the motorcycle handles.
I also have been putting on less as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #22398
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNewAdventure View Post
What was this about??
SD CARDS, PLEASE...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #22399
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 47
new v strom vs S10

Any owners of S10 riden the new VSTROM 1000 yet? Demo model has arrived and I'm about to go for a ride
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #22400
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Hows that work then ?

I thought a gas under pressure (inert ones anyway) reacts the same to pressure changes regardless of what it is.

I am genuinely confused (honestly). Please explain.

Apparently I'm the one who's genuinely confused!
That's just what the old timers told us as for why the nitrogen. I never actually did ask an A&P why. Would have saved me from looking like and ass. Are you guys chemists or just crazy smart?

Now I have some ammo to quiz my coworkers with! I'm curious how many actually get it right

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #22401
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
I've searched for this but all I seem to come up with is how to lower the seat, or how to adjust the seat in the high/low positions..

what are my options for a taller seat height? I am on the taller side, and I find that the peg to seat high is annoyingly low for me. I don't want to lower the pegs because I find myself already scraping if I do anything spirited, so I'm thinking raising the seat would be the best option. My knees are bent enough so as to be uncomfortable.

I already have an airhawk pad on it, which raises me up a little, but I'd like probably 2-4" inches above the stock seat in the high position.

Any ideas without dropping big bucks on a custom seat?

Thanks!
Seat Concepts. They make taller foam and cover. You can order the cover and pre-formed foam and install it on your existing seat base, or ship the seat to them for installation.

http://seatconcepts.com/
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #22402
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Seat Concepts. They make taller foam and cover. You can order the cover and pre-formed foam and install it on your existing seat base, or ship the seat to them for installation.

http://seatconcepts.com/

I emailed seat concepts a while back, and Robert said they only made one version for the super tenere 1200. He said it's about 1/2" taller than stock. They only make a tall version for the smaller tenere's apparently.

Thanks, though.
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #22403
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
I emailed seat concepts a while back, and Robert said they only made one version for the super tenere 1200. He said it's about 1/2" taller than stock. They only make a tall version for the smaller tenere's apparently.

Thanks, though.
Touratech sells high seats. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...Tenere-XT1200Z
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #22404
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Apparently I'm the one who's genuinely confused!
That's just what the old timers told us as for why the nitrogen. I never actually did ask an A&P why. Would have saved me from looking like and ass. Are you guys chemists or just crazy smart?

Now I have some ammo to quiz my coworkers with! I'm curious how many actually get it right
Virtually nobody and I was quiet because MarkJenn got it right. The FAA's primary reason given is flammability. Of course, the damage that even a nitrogen-filled airline tire can do is truly impressive.

But then I remembered you drive a biz-jet and we have a few other pilots here, so . . . What gets more airplanes like yours are car-type assumptions about leakage rate and an example was the Learjet accident at Columbia, SC, in 2009. All rubber is somewhat permeable and aircraft tires are vented for quick pressure changes, so are allowed to lose up to 5% per day! Under inflation builds heat in the construction and even if fully inflated, jet aircraft tires do not have the unlimited taxi distances that cars do. Blow one of your two mains during RTO or landing on a tight runway at night and you lose half of your braking, plus some steering control. If one of your two tires was under-inflated, do you want to make bets on the condition of the second main tire and the rest of your braking? For more info: http://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/tirecare.html

Back on subject, while air is only 21% oxygen, using nitrogen does slow the leakage rate slightly. Because the pressure differential increases with altitude and the higher leakage rate of the aircraft tires, using nitrogen can make a difference in jet ops. Use of nitrogen in car tires helps ever so slightly, but is more about marketing.

Dry nitrogen also won't introduce moisture that can freeze at altitude and give you an unbalanced tire on landing.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #22405
roadrkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question Is this a good deal?

New 2013 ST $10,999.00???

http://hallsmotorsports.com/shop/lan...-super-tenere/
roadrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #22406
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrkt View Post

Looks good to me.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #22407
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrkt View Post
I'd say thats a smoking deal! I've been looking at one for the same price, I'm still considering jumping on it. If I didn't want the electronic cruise that comes on the '14 I'd have bought it already. I'm sure I'll be paying alot more for a '14 though so I don't know if it's worth it.

I also looked at a KTM 1190R today, ugh the decisions are killing me!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #22408
NSpooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
yeah I've seen a few places with them for $11k. Sucks because I really want to buy used to save a few bucks but these prices are pretty insane.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #22409
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Virtually nobody and I was quiet because MarkJenn got it right. The FAA's primary reason given is flammability. Of course, the damage that even a nitrogen-filled airline tire can do is truly impressive.

But then I remembered you drive a biz-jet and we have a few other pilots here, so . . . What gets more airplanes like yours are car-type assumptions about leakage rate and an example was the Learjet accident at Columbia, SC, in 2009. All rubber is somewhat permeable and aircraft tires are vented for quick pressure changes, so are allowed to lose up to 5% per day! Under inflation builds heat in the construction and even if fully inflated, jet aircraft tires do not have the unlimited taxi distances that cars do. Blow one of your two mains during RTO or landing on a tight runway at night and you lose half of your braking, plus some steering control. If one of your two tires was under-inflated, do you want to make bets on the condition of the second main tire and the rest of your braking? For more info: http://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/tirecare.html

Back on subject, while air is only 21% oxygen, using nitrogen does slow the leakage rate slightly. Because the pressure differential increases with altitude and the higher leakage rate of the aircraft tires, using nitrogen can make a difference in jet ops. Use of nitrogen in car tires helps ever so slightly, but is more about marketing.

Dry nitrogen also won't introduce moisture that can freeze at altitude and give you an unbalanced tire on landing.

Well now that was one insightful post. Our mechanics just changed a relatively new right-outboard tire/wheel because it had a high leak rate and they couldn't find the leak. They were going to have the wheel inspected for a crack I guess. Its amazing how fast we go through tires and they do so few miles! I guess as for the nitrogen, the fuse plugs in the tires will prevent injury due to a tire explosion with hot brakes, but they won't stop a fire with the oxygen in air... Now it makes sense.
Much too technical for my meager brain. They can train a monkey to push the throttles up.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #22410
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

nice seat but nearly $600 seems kind of stiff for an inch or two. I guess I gotta pay to play!

too bad this isn't a klr and I can't stack up a few of those walmart atv pads..

edit: just read this post, and had to throw in a "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID" or a "that kind of bargain might have saved my marriage!" comment!

techgeek screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 06:21 PM
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote