ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #23221
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,974
400km/250 miles

Pretty standard for me at 4000ft riding briskly.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #23222
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Pretty standard for me at 4000ft riding briskly.
Is Canada using mostly strait gas or E10 in your area. My ranges are with E10 as the ethanol blend gas is mostly all we see around the US. You have to hunt for strait gas if you want it. I get significantly better mileage with strait gas.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #23223
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
gas mileage

I have the data for 11,000 miles through Canada, Alaska Dead Horse, Inuvik and back to Houston. Averaged better than 11 miles per litre and no obvious different with e10. Best tank I got was 265 miles at about 13/ltr. 8 miles per litre at 90+ MPH acros Kansas and 13/ltr through Glacier and Yellowstone taking in the sites at 20mph speed limits.

I have it posted on here if you check my posts, the data is real. Covered about 9K miles in 3 weeks so it's solid information for loaded blacktop and gravel touring.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #23224
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,974
Far!

As I know , here in Canada we still run real gasoline with no water added.
May account for better mileage. Could change though especially if the liberal weenies get voted in next election. Heres hoping it don't happen!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #23225
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Is Canada using mostly strait gas or E10 in your area. My ranges are with E10 as the ethanol blend gas is mostly all we see around the US. You have to hunt for strait gas if you want it. I get significantly better mileage with strait gas.
I use whatever, E10, straight, even 100Ron E10, Mostly 95, Makes a tiny difference on E10, but I bet no one could tell if they weren't told. Out on the western plains I get 4.3L/100km displayed in Roo avoidance mode. 5L/100 in "police avoidance mode" and 6L/100km in I just want to get home mode. E10 takes about 2% off the economy sometimes.
100Ron pure dino fuel does the same thing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #23226
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I use whatever, E10, straight, even 100Ron E10, Mostly 95, Makes a tiny difference on E10, but I bet no one could tell if they weren't told. Out on the western plains I get 4.3L/100km displayed in Roo avoidance mode. 5L/100 in "police avoidance mode" and 6L/100km in I just want to get home mode. E10 takes about 2% off the economy sometimes.
100Ron pure dino fuel does the same thing.
Man, I hope that's not in 'average' L/100km mode! If it is, I'm a worse hamfist than I thought. Can't seem to get the average reading below about 5.3L/100km 😂

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #23227
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I usually get 36-40mpg. I have no idea how you guys get so many miles per gallon. I guess I'm just having too much fun.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #23228
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,987
Laugh I only get 40 MPG if I'm rolling downhill with the engine switched off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
I usually get 36-40mpg. I have no idea how you guys get so many miles per gallon. I guess I'm just having too much fun.

Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

My normal mileage is around 36 to 38 MPG, but often it's down in the 30 to 32 MPG range, and if I'm really having a good time I see as little as 28 to 30 MPG averages!

Of course, we have posted 75 MPH speed limits down here, and on those roads if you're not running 85 MPH you're holding up traffic. I rode down to the Rio Grande Valley Saturday and my MPG was only 32.6 MPG, but then the GPS said my average moving speed was 88 MPH!

Coming home I toned it down a bit, averaged 76 MPH for the whole trip and got 34.8 MPG according to the S-10's meter.

I rarely see 40 MPG for an average, and I have to really be gentle to get anything over that. And just for the record, no engine mods to my bike save for the Gen 2 ECUnleashed re-flash, and I run a Parabellum "medium" windshield and the Yamaha side cases are on my bike literally all the time.

I don't know how some of you guys ever see 50 MPG and such. Of course, I go through tires like maypops, too!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #23229
Cam2ride
Ride 'em all!!

Oddometer: 18
Question for the group

Hey all, so been lurking and reading a lot (1556 pages, tons of info!), from the collective wisdom posted on all things that are Super Tenere. Recently sold my Victory Kingpin and have a KLR 650 for the bread and butter commuting. Rode an FZ-6 all over the midwest a few years ago.

Local dealer can get a 2013 ST for $12,299, $1200 in Yamaha accessories with purchase and decent financing rates. Would be looking at crash bars, skid plate, the wind "wings" and maybe some soft bags. Also would send the ECU off for re-flashing to give the required "boost".

On the contrary... KTM 1190 Adventure R. $16,500 (at least). Comes with crash bars, air filter may have some sketchy issues but when working properly the engine runs like a screamin' demon. Huge grin machine, could be detrimental to the drivers license.... Did take one for a test ride, haven't been able to ride the ST, as none around in stock.

Primary use will be local riding (asphalt mainly, corn takes up all the fun spaces), some 2 up and planning on some out west trips in the future. I believe the Tenere is the better of the two cycles on touring and should hold it's own in terms of fire roads and such.

Any input is appreciated and I know there are some on here who own ST's and have ridden the "competition". If it was crunch time, would you choose the ST again?

Thanks,
Cam
Cam2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #23230
CB024
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2ride View Post
Hey all, so been lurking and reading a lot (1556 pages, tons of info!), from the collective wisdom posted on all things that are Super Tenere. Recently sold my Victory Kingpin and have a KLR 650 for the bread and butter commuting. Rode an FZ-6 all over the midwest a few years ago.

Local dealer can get a 2013 ST for $12,299, $1200 in Yamaha accessories with purchase and decent financing rates. Would be looking at crash bars, skid plate, the wind "wings" and maybe some soft bags. Also would send the ECU off for re-flashing to give the required "boost".

On the contrary... KTM 1190 Adventure R. $16,500 (at least). Comes with crash bars, air filter may have some sketchy issues but when working properly the engine runs like a screamin' demon. Huge grin machine, could be detrimental to the drivers license.... Did take one for a test ride, haven't been able to ride the ST, as none around in stock.

Primary use will be local riding (asphalt mainly, corn takes up all the fun spaces), some 2 up and planning on some out west trips in the future. I believe the Tenere is the better of the two cycles on touring and should hold it's own in terms of fire roads and such.

Any input is appreciated and I know there are some on here who own ST's and have ridden the "competition". If it was crunch time, would you choose the ST again?

Thanks,
Cam
I'd be curious to know the same thing.
CB024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #23231
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
I bought the S10 for two-up riding as I have other bikes for different venues. I have the GIVI crash bars and skid plates, Wolfman racks and luggage, Altrider rear rack and ECU reflashed with ac's formula. I took it on a ride this last WE, Dinosaur 2014. It was heavy. I only fell 4 times on Friday. I had to wait for others to help me pick it up. After my health issues, I weigh 155 lbs. It was hard work in the mud, rocks and sand. But I forgot this was my two-up bike.

My friend rode his 1190 and had no issues. But then he has more bikes than we have fingers. I wished that I had a 21" front wheel at times but... This is my two-up bike.

I'm happy with my S10 and won't trade it in for an 1190. My wife likes it too. Did I mention this is my two-up bike?

Jim Rowley screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 12:40 PM
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #23232
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2ride View Post

On the contrary... KTM 1190 Adventure R. $16,500 (at least). Comes with crash bars, air filter may have some sketchy issues but when working properly the engine runs like a screamin' demon. Huge grin machine, could be detrimental to the drivers license....
I've ridden both, own an ST. The fact you are talking about power=grin factor leads me to suggest the KTM. Usability, versatility and daily function are much more important to me, so I chose the ST.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #23233
CB024
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I bought the S10 for two-up riding as I have other bikes for different venues. I have the GIVI crash bars and skid plates, Wolfman racks and luggage, Altrider rear rack and ECU reflashed with ac's formula. I took it on a ride this last WE, Dinosaur 2014. It was heavy. I only fell 4 times on Friday. I had to wait for others to help me pick it up. After my health issues, I weigh 155 lbs. It was hard work in the mud, rocks and sand. But I forgot this was my two-up bike.

My friend rode his 1190 and had no issues. But then he has more bikes than we have fingers. I wished that I had a 21" front wheel at times but... This is my two-up bike.

I'm happy with my S10 and won't trade it in for an 1190. My wife likes it too. Did I mention this is my two-up bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I've ridden both, own an ST. The fact you are talking about power=grin factor leads me to suggest the KTM. Usability, versatility and daily function are much more important to me, so I chose the ST.
Judging by these 2 responses it sounds like the ST is the right choice for me.
CB024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #23234
Cam2ride
Ride 'em all!!

Oddometer: 18
Thanks for the input so far. Grin factor is significant but so is no valve checks for 24,000 miles, shaft drive reliability, touring comfort.... all pointing toward ST.

The hooligan in me wants the 1190 (I tend to get into trouble when the hooligan runs loose too much) wisdom with age I hope?? If I can get the ST with enough "boost" to satisfy the hooligan and get best of both worlds, then I will more more than pleased to go with the ST. Saving $4 grand and having a great bike is a huge plus as well. KTM parts and service, as the saying goes: Keep Taking Money... not knocking the cycle at all, just spendier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Cam2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #23235
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
This comes up a lot... here is my standard answer:

In the simplest form... if you ride like a normal person... the S10 will prove to be more reliable and less maintenance. If you ride like a crazy person... the KTM will prove to be more capable and enjoyable.

I went from an S10 to a KTM (albeit 990)... I ride like a crazy person.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote