User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #2341
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,384
Hey,

I hope all this clever stuff stops my New (on order) S10 breaking down in the middle of nowhere.
I dont think the wife sat on the back will appreciate the diggy/slidey/torquey/rotational stuff too much.
She just wants to get where we are going in comfort and enjoy the ride.

Me too funnily enough.

BTW, damn interesting thread
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #2342
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
There are 2 balancer shafts fitted to cancel vibrations on new Supertenere.
I am sure it will be quite smooth.

Actually that making half of discussion above irrelevant
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #2343
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray
Hey,

I hope all this clever stuff stops my New (on order) S10 breaking down in the middle of nowhere.
I dont think the wife sat on the back will appreciate the diggy/slidey/torquey/rotational stuff too much.

Me too funnily enough.

We're all hoping you're going to tell us al about that...
Old 04-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #2344
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Yup, hard to believe, i know...

But take any XS650, put it on its centerstand, fire up the engine...

Not really exiting huh?

Now REV it, okay it's cruel to the engine being cold etc...

Now WATCH what happens, and try to explain what happens with your logic and the principle laws of one Newton guy...

See, ther's more to motorcycles than can be explained with middleschool mechanics :-)

For them not having a XS650 at hand, it will go nad move at a considarable pace backwards standing on its centerstand !
as blues man said, it's just not very well balanced - un-balanced rotational mechanisms will want to "walk" around... when i was a young 'un i used to have one of these (i can honestly say i never thought i'd post a picture of this on advrider!)

the motor had an unbalanced weight at the end that rotated (you can kind of see it) and once in the hovercraft and turned on it would move at a surprising speed across the floor...

i loved my tente hovercraft (until my dog ate the motor)... but that's another story...

i kind of feel we're digressing from the topic at hand... that being the new super tenere.... so that will be the last you'll hear from me on the physics of motorcycle engines...

by the way, one of the guys on www.xtz750.com has got on the ride for life to morocco the lucky bastard so hopefully in a month we should have some thoughts on how the new s10 rides...
Old 04-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #2345
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
An running XS650 walks backward on its centerstand for the same reason an electric razor vibrates off a countertop. Objects move around randomly when they vibrate. This is a total red herring and has exactly zero to do with increasing rear tire traction on a motorcycle.

How can you explain a power big enough to walk around a 200+ motorcycle would not have effect on traction?

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #2346
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange

i kind of feel we're digressing from the topic at hand... that being the new super tenere.... so that will be the last you'll hear from me on the physics of motorcycle engines...
I could not agree more. I guess the Yamaha engineers will be clever enough to sort every thing out right for what seems to be one of the most important new bikes for this moment.

So... the members here at ADV don't have to do that homework again.

And frankly... I don't care and it for sure has not my interests. I want to ride that stunning bike; even more after I had an live F2F meeting with one of it. No cam with me... I always have an digital cam with me... Always... Except not on that moment...

I keep day dreaming and for the moment I'm going to hit me with a stick... Firmly.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #2347
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Bernard, are you ging to be a traitor? Replace trusty Vara? Oh no, Honda loyal fans abandoning ship

Just kidding. Would be interesting to hear how new Tenere act in properly hardcore riding on pavement....perhaps trip to Ardennes or Alsace if you plan to push it a bit around? Looks like only other man I know will get his hands on new Supertenere soon will be probably Gerke from Tenere International club...since he was one of beta-testers for new 660 Tenere...
I don't think I'll get to ride it without 1000 euro deposit I can get Suzuki and Honda test without deposit, but never spent time at Yamaha dealer...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #2348
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray
Hey,

Me too funnily enough.

Nice one Ray. Will you be getting it this year?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #2349
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Well i wasn't one of the lucky basterds,
no biggy, took my battle-scarred, usd't piggy backed, wr't , 270 degreed cranked, competittion proven, supertenere out for a ride, vans to sole my feet,michelin deserts for the bikes feet, oildrained jeans, never washed sinisalo jacket versus helmet and gloves, broken windscreen, with my brother in law riding his HD Roadking, he's a dentist, is that a real one? they ask, me, as real as they come, the crowd's gathering around my bike, worth a tenth of the HD, and it looks like its done 10 Dakars, hopefully it will not become a collectors item, cause i won't be able to become a dentist
Think my old super will do just fine for this coming decade...
Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #2350
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookeniggy
no biggy, took my battle-scarred, usd't piggy backed, wr't , 270 degreed cranked, competittion proven, supertenere out for a ride, vans to sole my feet,michelin deserts for the bikes feet, oildrained jeans, never washed sinisalo jacket versus helmet and gloves, broken windscreen, with my brother in law riding his HD Roadking, he's a dentist, is that a real one? they ask, me, as real as they come, the crowd's gathering around my bike, worth a tenth of the HD, and it looks like its done 10 Dakars, hopefully it will not become a collectors item, cause i won't be able to become a dentist
Cool post, almost poetic
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #2351
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Wicked

...whats up????

its end of april and NOBODY has ridden that fat sucker???

wtf?

im waitin for the 1st ride!!!!!!!

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #2352
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookeniggy
spoken like a true s10 owner .... i missed out as well... couldn't even apply as the home office had my passport.... as i looked over my s10 yesterday, in 10 pieces in the garage, halfway through a mini makeover (i was in between the foundation and blusher, lip gloss to go on tomorrow), thoughts of the new s10 couldn't have been further from my mind as i looked at the botched plastic welding i did to the fairing, sized up the decals to cover the cracks and turned down an offer from a local kid for 100 for my cool "scrambler" (i was impressed he even knew what a scrambler was)... as much as i would like the new super tenere, at the moment the extra 12000 can't compare with the character my bike has acquired over the last 20 years...

by the way hookeniggy, you're not one of the guys coming down to wales next weekend for the xtz750.com meet?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #2353
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
S10 on Facebook

I don't think anybody has posted this yet...

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=182130504873&share_id=110118159022450&comments=1#!/newsupertenere

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 11:55 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #2354
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
An running XS650 walks backward on its centerstand for the same reason an electric razor vibrates off a countertop. Objects move around randomly when they vibrate. This is a total red herring and has exactly zero to do with increasing rear tire traction on a motorcycle. This is really a discussion that is so off in fantasy-land, its not worth continuing.

- Mark
You might be wrong.

When you accelerate an engine there is a torque reaction about the crank.

Its basic Newtonian mechanics. Angular momentum. F=Rw

Its how jumpers control their bikes in mid air (they use the rotational inertia of the wheel and crank to control the pitch of the bike in mid air)
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #2355
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
I finally walked into the local Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki shop (nothing else for miles and miles except HD) and asked one of the top sales guys if the Yamaha rep had asked them about the prospects of selling the Super Tenere here. "No".

Had no idea Yamaha made a Tenere, Super Tenere, TDM, etc.

And never heard of ADV Rider.

Tried to interest me in a FJR.

I hate that fucking place.