Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2356
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum on Shoe
You might be wrong.

When you accelerate an engine there is a torque reaction about the crank.

Its basic Newtonian mechanics. Angular momentum. F=Rw

Its how jumpers control their bikes in mid air (they use the rotational inertia of the wheel and crank to control the pitch of the bike in mid air)
These are gross behaviours of the entire bike system caused by the conversion of the rotating momentum of the engine or wheels to rotation of the bike. Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with how different crankshaft layouts might affect rear wheel traction.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #2357
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot
I finally walked into the local Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki shop (nothing else for miles and miles except HD) and asked one of the top sales guys if the Yamaha rep had asked them about the prospects of selling the Super Tenere here. "No".

Had no idea Yamaha made a Tenere, Super Tenere, TDM, etc.

And never heard of ADV Rider.

Tried to interest me in a FJR.

I hate that fucking place.
Yamaha are floating 20% of their stock, apparently.

Their business plan is to invest in enviro-friendly engines, electric bicycles, and emerging markets in low-cost countries. Bajaj (which owns a stake in KTM) expect to sell 85,000 bikes a month in India.

What Honda call 'fun bikes' (over 500cc) apparently account for less than 5% of revenue. We'd better get used to it - the japanese are deserting our markets.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #2358
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 221
Now that folks have seen the S10 with body cladding and tank off do we know:

1. Does the bike have fuses, or it a CanBus type system or some mix?

2. What types of electrical sensor components does it have?

2. Can anyone identify who is the manufacturer of the shocks used?

Would like to know more about electrical complexity of this new bike compared to others. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #2359
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ
Now that folks have seen the S10 with body cladding and tank off do we know:

1. Does the bike have fuses, or it a CanBus type system or some mix?
Quite stupid, i was so pleased with the way al lectricity was placed so handy under the lefthand "tankcover" i didn't really investigate, but i can't believe they would be invited to you canbus, the troubles with the system at the Other Brand knowing...

[/QUOTE]2. What types of electrical sensor components does it have?
Will be hall givers, most trusty, the force driven piezo technic is not yet out of the laboratories for commercial use, but sounds verry promissing[/QUOTE]

Quote:
2. Can anyone identify who is the manufacturer of the shocks used?
Standard Showa i think, but again to overwhelmed by the good thing i saw, i lost my normal inquisitive argwaan a little, but now i think of it, the oildrain plug should be replaced by a inbus type, the normal bolt type protrudes just a little out under the bellypan.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #2360
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Well, apart from type of hall sensors it must have usual stuff associated with injection, wouldn't it? So - add oxygen sensor, tps-type sensor (not sure if it's called like that on injected bikes in english), interesting to know what method they use for oil sensor (dry sump - so must be pressure sensor), ESC and ABS sensors, ESC/ABS control module, 3-maps ignition/injection control unit. This is have to be bare minimum taking into account functionality.
This bike definitely looks like any other contemporary "beast" - shedloads of electronics. There is no getting away from it nowadays.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #2361
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Just looked at photos R3B posted - nah, that's no bus type of wiring system by the looks of it.
Check this out (photo posted by R3B)

Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #2362
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Just looked at photos R3B posted - nah, that's no bus type of wiring system by the looks of it.
Now you say it, the loom seems verry beefy for a canbus :-)

to me there is nothing better than an oldfashioned fuse, were you can see or in doubt check if its blown
(had some glass ones in my XT which lost contact with the cap through fibrationary collaps...)

But there is one think wondering me...

When am i getting a telephone call from the honorary Yamaha Consul Mr. Termaat to tasted the riding in the flesh !

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #2363
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
That looks like the ABS module and associated plumbing lines for the unified braking. Too bad they don't use braided lines..

It's not looking good for Yamaha and it looks like this bike won't be coming here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Check this out (photo posted by R3B)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #2364
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Late bikes standard-looking lines are in fact braided. Mostly with other materials than steel, but braided and they do not have tendency to expand like older type. I had to cut one, I can tell you it is as tough as aftermarket steel braided.
I am with R3B on that - I prefer simpler...

And not only about wires - to be honest centralization of braking with central brake pump makes me scared since I seen few cases on GSes when because of some failure in ABS system brake becomes on-off, no way to control it. On other hand every second crash I had was because of me overdosing braking and blocking wheel, so....may be have to accept it :)
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #2365
Ron_Luning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
GB: what makes you think that the S10 is not coming here (i.e. North America)? Not that anyone ever said it was, but is there some new evidence to suggest that it definitely won't be sold here? I would hope that the sales of BMW's R1200GS/A here would be enough to suggest a profitable market to sell a bike that is already completely developed and presumably competitive.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #2366
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Luning
GB: what makes you think that the S10 is not coming here (i.e. North America)? Not that anyone ever said it was, but is there some new evidence to suggest that it definitely won't be sold here? I would hope that the sales of BMW's R1200GS/A here would be enough to suggest a profitable market to sell a bike that is already completely developed and presumably competitive.
All I know is what a Yamaha insider told me. Yamaha is losing a lot of money and aren't going to spend a large sum to get the bike certified and given that Honda's Varadero isn't selling in Canada (Honda Canada still has 08's in stock), and given the niche market for the S10, if they do decide to bring it here, it won't be next year..

but who really knows... if they can't sell those Starley cruisers, maybe they'll try to sell this bike..

Btw, Honda claims that to break even on the homologation costs of the Varadero for the CDN market, they need to keep importing it here for 8 years.

At any rate, be it honda or yamaha, it's an uphill battle to get riders off those useless cruisers and onto something more comfortable and more capable.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #2367
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
At any rate, be it honda or yamaha, it's an uphill battle to get riders off those useless cruisers and onto something more comfortable and more capable.
that duc is gonna sell, cutting edge products tend to do better than the rest
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #2368
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
I don't know seems like the japanese have always half-assed it when it comes to duel sports here in america. They have been kinda cheap and way-way on the either the dirt or street side. This super tenere and the regular tenere seem like a departure and more in line with the quality of what BMW offers. Was at the BMW dealer today and were talking about the f650GS single (Now G650 ) and what a success it had been here.
Don't know but maybe if the japanese would sell quality duellies they would
sell. Based on what I've seen so far I would seriously consider buying the super tenere if it were sold here. Has been a long time since I've though that about a japanese dual sport.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #2369
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
That looks like the ABS module and associated plumbing lines for the unified braking. Too bad they don't use braided lines..
Yup, stupid penny wise pound foolish, but if you look at the left you'll see the wiring loom in the netted tube, it seems quite fat for a Canbus loom, so my hunch is telling me it's nice old fashioned cabling to every single "user", which makes tooling around, providing a electrical 7-plug for my motorcycle-trailer easy peasy.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #2370
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 221
Motociclismo.....Mexico's premier bike magazine in Issue No. 81, pg. 12 describes the recent IWATA (YAMAHA) Convention of all dealers in Mexico where they announced all the models that would be available in 2010. Translating from the Spanish it reads: We can't reveal all the details, but we can say that there will be a new competitor in the small cylinder range and another new motorcycle: The Super Tenere 1200 will arrive in our country towards the month of July 2010. With this news we'll bet the maxi trail segment will heat up. Pages 16 and 17 contain an overview article of the basic aspects of the XT1200Z Super Tenere. So......if Mexico has decided to go with this bike......why not others? I for one, will be seriously considering switching from my R12GS ADV to the S10 as soon as moto journalists riding reviews are out and we get some owner/rider feedback. My last 8 bikes were BMW's......not my next one.