Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #2386
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Ah, real knobbies, not my beloved TKC's but, oh well, i will do \with it, send it over please?

Oh and in two weeks the first ride report in Das Motorrad !
Your's (the tkc's) would make 20 inches, i presume?
These look like T63's?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #2387
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookeniggy
Your's (the tkc's) would make 20 inches, i presume?
These look like T63's?
No that was the pleasent surprise the Tenere has the same shoes, happily, the 21" TKC is a totally different tyre build, where the 19" is a nice old fashioned round tire, even inklined the same contact patch, the 21"inchers are more spongebob squarepants, inclined the contactpatch reduces to riding on the side of the knobbies, making it awfully wobbly (on an XT600 tested).

Looks a little like the metzeler knobbies, but i really can't tell the slight curve doesn't really land a memory... Perhaps the photographer can look in his other pictures if there is some conclusive, but this small knobbies will sheer out easily when pushed on-road, that's why i like the TKC's so much, warmed up you can almost abuse them like streettires, only the initial pushover must be slightle more carefull.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #2388
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Could they be referring to the new Triumph Tiger 675/800 which is rumoured to be out later this year?
No, it's referring to another Yamaha model made available in Mexico, my guess the 660 Tenere.

Motociclismo may be Mexico's premier motorcycle magazine, but that's only because they have the Televisa empire to pour money into this infomercial magazine and most others are less professional and credible than than your average Internet blog written by a 12 year old... The only redeeming value are the articles they get from "sister" magazines like Motorrad, Toff, etc.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #2389
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
No that was the pleasent surprise the Tenere has the same shoes, happily, the 21" TKC is a totally different tyre build, where the 19" is a nice old fashioned round tire, even inklined the same contact patch, the 21"inchers are more spongebob squarepants, inclined the contactpatch reduces to riding on the side of the knobbies, making it awfully wobbly (on an XT600 tested).

Looks a little like the metzeler knobbies, but i really can't tell the slight curve doesn't really land a memory... Perhaps the photographer can look in his other pictures if there is some conclusive, but this small knobbies will sheer out easily when pushed on-road, that's why i like the TKC's so much, warmed up you can almost abuse them like streettires, only the initial pushover must be slightle more carefull.
21 inch TKC's a great tire, no complaints..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #2390
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
spoken like a true s10 owner .... i missed out as well... couldn't even apply as the home office had my passport.... as i looked over my s10 yesterday, in 10 pieces in the garage, halfway through a mini makeover (i was in between the foundation and blusher, lip gloss to go on tomorrow), thoughts of the new s10 couldn't have been further from my mind as i looked at the botched plastic welding i did to the fairing, sized up the decals to cover the cracks and turned down an offer from a local kid for 100 for my cool "scrambler" (i was impressed he even knew what a scrambler was)... as much as i would like the new super tenere, at the moment the extra 12000 can't compare with the character my bike has acquired over the last 20 years...

by the way hookeniggy, you're not one of the guys coming down to wales next weekend for the xtz750.com meet?
Thanks for reply, (the other Londonner as well), but some others did, Frans on his orange 990 (thats why i couldn't get ahold if him for our Nuvy trip)and Jonathan on his 660, did you go, pics?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #2391
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
They are ready to GOOOOOOOO!

It even looks as if they need more riders, i'm counting ten bikes in this picture

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #2392
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB200
Found this interesting post regarding actual bike weights on my local adventure riding forum (wilddogs) by forum user Half - Bac:
A great post from Half - Bac (who I presume plays for the Springboks with a name like that!)

One has to remember that three bikes had aftermarket pipes which probaly saved around 4-5kg in the case of the BMW's and probably up to 8kg in the case of the KTM with that very heavy twin system.

Guessing that a Remus or such fitted to the Yamaha would shave 5kg off it's weight you might be looking at 263kg in total, fully tanked. It is not unreasonable to then suggest that the four bikes might have weighed in fully wet at:

BMW R1200GS Adventure, 273kg
Yamaha Super Tenere, 263kg
BMW R1200GS, 242kg
KTM 990 Adventure, 240kg.

As Half - Bac correctly noted, after the third time you have to pick one of these bikes up after a spill, it wont matter much which one you are riding as they're all damn heavy!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #2393
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
They are ready to GOOOOOOOO!

It even looks as if they need more riders, i'm counting ten bikes in this picture
H' mmm looks very french, are you at the scene shooting your kodak?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #2394
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Charles de Gaulle sheraton?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #2395
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB200
Found this interesting post regarding actual bike weights on my local adventure riding forum (wilddogs) by forum user Half - Bac:
Very interesting and thanks for sharing, though i found that the one bike thats missing on this list was the the 750 Supertenere the new bike's going to replace, which should be regarded to as "one" of the predecessors of these type of bikes, so i kinda became very curious, how heavy's the old bike?
The one thats also capepable in pushing the 200 km/h mark on the Autobahn, and also has a range of around 400 to 500 clicks without refueling, this is what the scale looked like under the reartire of a '94 XTZ 750 Supertenere, wet weight with aprox 5 liters of fuel in the bike
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #2396
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

This is the front, the scale is pretty accurate, cause my personal weightreading was accurate as wel
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #2397
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

So the front and back combined, 86 + 92 would make around 178 kg's wet, i was amazed!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #2398
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Not sure how come but I remember clearly our attempt to weight similar year Sutenere (93? 92?) resulted in over 220 kg mark and it was not full tank but stock exhaust. Rally-prepared Supertenere I came across on one of rideouts according to rider measured 184 kg with half-tank and it had loads of lightweight stuff and cut down rear part of frame and loads of stuff removed. And he was quite proud of that achievement.
Even taking into account only 5 liter of fuel and actual weight of petrol - I think your scales quite off or perhaps you did not level bike horizontaly when you measured it.
Weight you mention is light even comparing to factory specs and exhaust won't save more than 5-6 kg on old Sutenere.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #2399
CB200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookeniggy
So the front and back combined, 86 + 92 would make around 178 kg's wet, i was amazed!
That doesn't seem like a very accurate way of weighing a bike. I rode a XTZ750 around a parking lot once and it felt WAY heavier than 178kg.

This site lists It's wet weight as 240kg:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yam...enere_1994.php
CB200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #2400
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Not sure how come but I remember clearly our attempt to weight similar year Sutenere (93? 92?) resulted in over 220 kg mark and it was not full tank but stock exhaust. Rally-prepared Supertenere I came across on one of rideouts according to rider measured 184 kg with half-tank and it had loads of lightweight stuff and cut down rear part of frame and loads of stuff removed. And he was quite proud of that achievement.
Even taking into account only 5 liter of fuel and actual weight of petrol - I think your scales quite off or perhaps you did not level bike horizontaly when you measured it.
Weight you mention is light even comparing to factory specs and exhaust won't save more than 5-6 kg on old Sutenere.
Oh i don't know, gues the scales were pretty level, the bike has some lightweight stuff on it, but can't be that much of a difference to stock i suppose
Attached Images