wolfman rainer

if you get the large side pockets and top pocket it is great for big road trips
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #24467
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,744
Thought so, that is the one I've been looking at.
Thanks
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #24468
ironbutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I rode from the tip of Northern Ireland to Beijing on this expanded tank, it was worth every penny. I could easily go 250 miles before hitting the reserve light (I did NOT try to adjust the fuel gauge for the larger capacity - I just left it like it was and did not worry about gas until the 1/2 way point of the gauge).

Downsides - you must run straight risers for this tank. I run the fixed Rox risers - my bars DO hit the tank at full lock. I had to pull the tank and install together in three short weeks and when the bars hit the tank at full lock, we tried to make a shim to on the fork stop to restrict travel but that did not work out, there is a LOT of force at full lock so the shims ended up getting crushed (they were made of aluminum) . The quick, simple fix was to wrap some rubber around the handlebars in the area that hit so I would not damage the tank. When the S10 is off the boat from China, I'll probably go to the pivot style Rox risers or maybe not deal with it at all, I'm used to the rubber cushioning feel at full lock now.

The other issue is that if you top up on the centerstand on a hot day (and it was always HOT in China) and leave the bike, gas will piss out the overflow tube and all over the ground as the gas in the tank heats and expands in as little as five minutes. The extra couple of gallons (I did not have time to measure before and after, but must be close to two gallons) is enough that it overcomes the stock air gap in the tank. I think the fix may be as easy as punching a hole in the filler neck to allow the fumes to escape into the cap area vs pressurizing the tank and pushing hard liquid fuel out - not something to try when you are in Russia or China...

This is a GREAT tank, it was so nice to fill up one time and not worry about two tanks, especially in China where you had to fill up out of four liter tea pot in most stations as China is back to NOT allowing you to fill up at the pump - something I thought had gone out years ago...

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
CLOSE..But not quite..but very good to talk to about such things.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...8566#msg108566

ironbutt screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 11:38 PM
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #24469
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,478
that tank looks great but it is very pricey. i wouldnt mind having one but i do like the option of the removable remote tank. on when you need, off when you dont. basic Mercury remote oil tank and standard boat fuel fittings.
gives me 300 mile range, doesnt effect the fuel guage as it is piped in thru the vent hose. sucks the aux dry before the main tank starts. the down is that it takes up luggage space.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #24470
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
that tank looks great but it is very pricey. i wouldnt mind having one but i do like the option of the removable remote tank. on when you need, off when you dont. basic Mercury remote oil tank and standard boat fuel fittings.
gives me 300 mile range, doesnt effect the fuel guage as it is piped in thru the vent hose. sucks the aux dry before the main tank starts. the down is that it takes up luggage space.
How much?

I'm with you, I'd rather have the configurable nature of just adding a bit when I need it. When I "travel" I keep an extra 1/2 gallon with me. Haven't NEEDED it yet. I also have a 1 gallon Roto that I can tack on easily enough.

My ass doesn't like to sit for 5 hours anyways so 300 mile range won't be done non-stop.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #24471
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
How much?
I don't remember what they charged but with all the fab work, welding, grinding, bondo, sanding, prep, paint, clearcoat, polishing there is probably 30 man hours of labor and paint supplies were over $200 alone. I'm just guessing but if I was doing it I would charge around a grand or more
Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #24472
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Fuel tanks

I am thinking along the lines of Sallydog. I like the idea as no pumps are needed. I'm probably going to attach something to the underside of my hard bags hooked up to the main tank vent. Still requires 2 or 3 tanks but all plumbed into one they drain as one.

You don't need the bigger tanks in most places but it's much less hassle with 35ltrs on boards. I've needed additional fuel 4 times in the last 2 years. Problems occur when the gas station on the route has no gas, in many places that's unknowable in advance unfortunately. Anyway I really like the convenience of 35ltrs even when gas is available.

Anyone know of a plastic (as per rotopax, ie strong) tank that is about 18" long x 8" wide x 5" deep.

cheers, dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #24473
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
The few times I've needed that much range I put a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can in the duffel
bag atop the side bag. Can run one on each side. I'm not looking for non-stop range.
Good lord you people can hold it for a loooonnnggg time.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #24474
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
An incredible Super Ten

Hi guys, I still remember this thread!!

Las week I did a wonderfull trip on/off road in the Alps (I'm in love with these mountains). I also went to see my italian friend Christian Giordanengo in Boves (near Cuneo).
He is an incredible artisan who builds dream bikes. His Super Ten is a replica of the one he build for David Fretigne (the french enduro and Dakar champion) to race in the Hellas Rally in Greece.
I was amazed with the precious preparation of this bike.
He also showed me his YZ450 Rally and his new toy a Super Tenere 750 he is building now... a dream workshop.

My little Tenere was there!

And I reach the sky ::013::

If you like to see more pics and the rest os the trip: http://traildreamer.com/category/alpes-2014/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #24475
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
fuel tanks

Thanks Pluric,

I currently use 2 x 12ltr rotopax on the carrier and it works great but obviously takes up space that I need for a bag, don't really notice 12ltrs but can feel 24ltrs which might also cause the carrier to fail eventually. Thought I'd keep looking for a bit better solution that avoids me having to pour into the tank and having to worry about leaving the bike and losing the fuel. I'll probably end up with the Sallydog solution in reality which is similar to your approach but with some type of simple plumbing hooked up to the tank vent line.

I would have liked to get the weight lower down, do you think it would make much difference having the weight on the top of the boxs compared to hanging off the bottom.

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The few times I've needed that much range I put a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can in the duffel
bag atop the side bag. Can run one on each side. I'm not looking for non-stop range.
Good lord you people can hold it for a loooonnnggg time.

daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #24476
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Thanks Pluric,

I currently use 2 x 12ltr rotopax on the carrier and it works great but obviously takes up space that I need for a bag, don't really notice 12ltrs but can feel 24ltrs which might also cause the carrier to fail eventually. Thought I'd keep looking for a bit better solution that avoids me having to pour into the tank and having to worry about leaving the bike and losing the fuel. I'll probably end up with the Sallydog solution in reality which is similar to your approach but with some type of simple plumbing hooked up to the tank vent line.

I would have liked to get the weight lower down, do you think it would make much difference having the weight on the top of the boxs compared to hanging off the bottom.

dave
Could be clearance issues.

Personally I doubt you would notice a difference on top of the side bags. I've seen the roto pax on top
of a trunk and could see the potential for feeling that depending on the size.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #24477
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi guys, I still remember this thread!!
And I reach the sky ::013::

If you like to see more pics and the rest os the trip: http://traildreamer.com/category/alpes-2014/
Oh yeah, we remember you. My nose finally healed from having been rubbed so hard in it.

Damn, you sure have great connections for after market modifications!!!

I haven't heard from Amy in a long time. Should I quit standing by the mailbox???
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #24478
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
I am thinking along the lines of Sallydog. I like the idea as no pumps are needed. I'm probably going to attach something to the underside of my hard bags hooked up to the main tank vent. Still requires 2 or 3 tanks but all plumbed into one they drain as one.

You don't need the bigger tanks in most places but it's much less hassle with 35ltrs on boards. I've needed additional fuel 4 times in the last 2 years. Problems occur when the gas station on the route has no gas, in many places that's unknowable in advance unfortunately. Anyway I really like the convenience of 35ltrs even when gas is available.

Anyone know of a plastic (as per rotopax, ie strong) tank that is about 18" long x 8" wide x 5" deep.

cheers, dave
A few different options.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...24540-543.html
Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #24479
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,461
Carrying extra fuel

Lots of options in the plastic bottles and pretty common in the third world.

I see that mounting it externally can work. Sure wouldn't want to drop the bike on it though.

But putting bottles where fumes may collect is a bad idea. This fire happened after a passenger brought plastic jugs of gasoline aboard as carry-on and put them in an overhead bin with his motorcycle battery. (Uni Air MD-90, flight 873, Aug 24, 1999)
Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #24480
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,744
So I called the dealer to schedule my first service, figuring I would need a valve adjustment and such being as the bike is just breaking in.
They said there is no valve adjustment at break in, just an oil and final drive lube change

Valves were good until 26K.
Is this right and I've just had KTMs too long?

Anyway, since I'm not going to pay $140 for an oil change I picked up a filter and have about 10 gallons of 80/90wt synthetic oil here already.

Now, what motor oil should I use?

WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote