ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #241
beep

Oddometer: n/a
There might not be a new super 10 but judging by the number of new Hondas so far, they must be holding some back for the Milan show - so far they only come up with one prototype, a couple of new mxers and new brakes for the CBRs ... oh and new 125. Surely they can do better than that?!!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #242
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #243
mr moto OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Yamaha are holding their EICMA Milan show press conference monday 3,rd november the day before the show opens , and it is somewhere outside the show hall,s i wonder why they are not choosing to have their press conference inside the nice warm clean large exhibition hall,s like everyone else ? . interesting !

mr moto screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 05:33 AM
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #244
beep

I agree - sounds like they have something to reveal, but it might not be a new dualsport. Similarly Honda might well be releasing something new, since they are first up on the press day (who would schedule themselves first and have nothing new to show?). So far the only new Honda has been the sporty CB125, which judging by the engine is nothing new (along with some new MXers and ABS for the CBRRRRRs). Hopefully Yamaha or Honda will release a new adventure bike or are the japanese manufacturers determined to ignore the fastest growing segment of the market this year?? I can understand Suzuki doing this since the Vstrom still sells quite well and they've never pretended to take the Dakar or similar, seriously. Last years "new" Tenere (a sorted heavier XT660R) and Transalp 700 (the 4 year old Vstrom is better) didn't exactly inspire compared with the two new BMW 800 GSs.

beep screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 06:50 AM
Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #245
DragoSapien
RAD

Oddometer: 88
DragoSapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #246
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr moto
Yamaha are holding their EICMA Milan show press conference monday 3,rd november the day before the show opens , and it is somewhere outside the show hall,s i wonder why they are not choosing to have their press conference inside the nice warm clean large exhibition hall,s like everyone else ? . interesting !
Only 3 days to go then but for what ??
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:58 AM   #247
beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1
Only 3 days to go then but for what ??
Hopefully a decent middleweight, not some tarted up giant tourer.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 AM   #248
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep
Hopefully a decent middleweight, not some tarted up giant tourer.
I agree, if Yamaha have kept something juicy a secret this long my hat off to them. But have they
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
Old 10-31-2008, 06:11 AM   #249
dseenya
Kiwi in Cape Town

Oddometer: 57
Here's hoping, but I'm loosing faith.
dseenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #250
mr moto OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseenya
Here's hoping, but I'm loosing faith.
i do not see anything to lose faith over , here in europe at least , we have never had it so good , we have a larger range of bike manufacturer,s than ever before , and between them all we have never had such a huge and varied range of bikes on offer . i will be getting a new bike early next year , to replace my wee strom ,and am having a real hard time deciding just what to go for , new bmw f800/650 gs ? triumph tiger ? moto guzzi stelvio ? moto morini scrambler ? the new ducati aperta ? new super tenere ? new ktm adventure ? triumph scrambler ? yamaha xtz660 tenere ? kawasaki versys ?
honda transalp ? aprilia caponord ? the latest kawasaki klr ? bmw 1200gs ?
bmw hp2 ? and of course , the two strom,s . see what i mean ?
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #251
DragoSapien
RAD

Oddometer: 88
Rub it in why dont you.
DragoSapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #252
beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr moto
i do not see anything to lose faith over , here in europe at least , we have never had it so good , we have a larger range of bike manufacturer,s than ever before , and between them all we have never had such a huge and varied range of bikes on offer . i will be getting a new bike early next year , to replace my wee strom ,and am having a real hard time deciding just what to go for , new bmw f800/650 gs ? triumph tiger ? moto guzzi stelvio ? moto morini scrambler ? the new ducati aperta ? new super tenere ? new ktm adventure ? triumph scrambler ? yamaha xtz660 tenere ? kawasaki versys ?
honda transalp ? aprilia caponord ? the latest kawasaki klr ? bmw 1200gs ?
bmw hp2 ? and of course , the two strom,s . see what i mean ?
I see what you mean, we've now got a massive choice but the world's biggest bike makers, Honda and Yamaha, who should really be leading, now seem to be playing catchup. Even their "new" bikes the Transalp and Tenere are essentially rehashes, using old engines. I'll soon be forced to buy Suzuki or even BMW at this rate
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #253
dseenya
Kiwi in Cape Town

Oddometer: 57
I know the choice is good but I'd like to update my aging '95 Super Tenere at some stage. The only reasonably priced twin adv bike with decent offroad credentials is the BMW 800 GS. I'd like the Japanese to build a spoked wheel, large tank, long travel affordable twin. The 660 Tenere is great, it just needs a bigger brother.
dseenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 AM   #254
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseenya
I know the choice is good but I'd like to update my aging '95 Super Tenere at some stage. The only reasonably priced twin adv bike with decent offroad credentials is the BMW 800 GS. I'd like the Japanese to build a spoked wheel, large tank, long travel affordable twin. The 660 Tenere is great, it just needs a bigger brother.
Which is what this thread is all about, if the GS800 was up to scratch it would fill the gap but IMHO it has a number of negatives; small tank, fragile fittings, questionable reliability. These are all important issues on a long trip
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
Old 11-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #255
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
I still can't figure out why Japan inc. is dithering about the big D/S market. Sports tourers are out and big trail style bikes are solid sellers. Look at how many guys have gone from VFR style machines to GS'S and Tigers.
Also, the age demographic is a factor. If a manufacturer can give us reliability, performance and quality in an upright machine, then that will sell in significant numbers.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote