Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #3031
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray
Could this be a master stroke by Yamaha to cater for users in hot countries.
We wait and see.
Well the Honours go to Benelli i think, the Trak has it too, and its not only good for the rider, but also for the engine itself, a radiator in front in the engine is quite stupid, then it needs to cool part of the dissipation it itself throws onto the engine, so sideways is much more efficient.

And another wellcome sideeffect is that it can't get clogged up by the junk the frontwheel throws up (or even perforated by thrown up branches (seen at a Husky once)

Especcially with the regulatory lean burning and so much hotter engines of today it very clever to push all the heat sideways out instead of onto the engine, would be nice if they found a way to place it at the back without it needing a fan continously (britten) :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #3032
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Maybe some Australians or South Africans who have the new S10 can comment on this ?
Give it another 4 or 5 months Ray. Then we'll see :)

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #3033
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
would be nice if they found a way to place it at the back without it needing a fan continously (britten) :-)
Unless it's a seriously powerful fan of course.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #3034
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Unless it's a seriously powerful fan of course.
Would that help against the horrible fan noise ? :-)

Thats another small niggle i have with the tenere, the teekettle sound of all the balancergears, the Douk douk of the engine is verry lovely, but the wheeee of all the gears does waken rememberings of the K100...

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #3035
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Would that help against the horrible fan noise ? :-)

Thats another small niggle i have with the tenere, the teekettle sound of all the balancergears, the Douk douk of the engine is verry lovely, but the wheeee of all the gears does waken rememberings of the K100...
All this moaning already, some people can't afford the privilege you insensitive clods
Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #3036
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Ah. The GS's , as I am sure you know, are about 50/50 air/oil cooled. With the cylinders being out in the breeze and away from the rider so I can I can understand that. Unfortunately, as I understand it, even BMW are soon to go to fully water cooled to meet with emmission controls. All the others are water cooled and the radiators need to be sited out of the way. Its a trade off and you guys in the tropics are the losers. I wonder if the Alaskan bikers have this problem.

However, to stop rambling, the S10 does not appear to have this problem thus far. On this bike the hot air is forced out of the left side and away from the rider and not past the engine and around the riders legs as in the XT660Z.
We wait and see.
Maybe some Australians or South Africans who have the new S10 can comment on this ?
I will comment in Summer as it is cold winter here, well as cold as it gets here, sure could have used some of that hot air from the radiator last weekend but did not get any.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #3037
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Ah. The GS's , as I am sure you know, are about 50/50 air/oil cooled. With the cylinders being out in the breeze and away from the rider so I can I can understand that. Unfortunately, as I understand it, even BMW are soon to go to fully water cooled to meet with emmission controls. All the others are water cooled and the radiators need to be sited out of the way. Its a trade off and you guys in the tropics are the losers. I wonder if the Alaskan bikers have this problem.

However, to stop rambling, the S10 does not appear to have this problem thus far. On this bike the hot air is forced out of the left side and away from the rider and not past the engine and around the riders legs as in the XT660Z.
We wait and see.
The Honda XL1000V Varadero has two (!) side-way mounted radiators (Both the carburettor fuelled MK1 as the latest MK2). Even when riding with warm air temperatures (did 450 km in Spain with over 40 degrees Celsius in the shades...) the temperature is deflected away from both the engine, as well as the rider.

They are very well protected against dirt thrown up by the front wheel.
It's advisable to mount crash bars though... The radiators are vulnerable if the bike falls, f.e. when the side stand (jiffy) is put on soft surface, and the bike tips over... The Yamaha S10 has some impressive 'side' protection, mounted right under the side fairing. So I guess that 'danger' is therefore prevented....

Judging on my test spin on the S10 I guess it will work exactly the same on the Yam.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #3038
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
All this moaning already, some people can't afford the privilege you insensitive clods
WHoah, hilarious guy, my S10 is being assembled right this minute :-)
I'm just a critical guy, being objective...

So if there are things wrong with my own bike, i'm still as critical as ever, i'm not blinded by love that quickly, and i know Yamaha will do something with rider imput. (allthough sometim,es they take their time...)

Old 07-06-2010, 05:12 AM   #3039
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
WHoah, hilarious guy, my S10 is being assembled right this minute :-)
I'm just a critical guy, being objective...

So if there are things wrong with my own bike, i'm still as critical as ever, i'm not blinded by love that quickly, and i know Yamaha will do something with rider imput. (allthough sometim,es they take their time...)
I hope they do. It would be good to see a good start from the blocks get better with time rather than just change colours each year.

Although that is probably a bit harsh, it seems like that is about as hard as some companies try, that is not a comment about BMW by the way.

Cheers
Graham
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #3040
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
I hope they do. It would be good to see a good start from the blocks get better with time rather than just change colours each year.

Although that is probably a bit harsh, it seems like that is about as hard as some companies try
Well Yamaha has some good Track record there, the XT500 got a complete new head with stellite rockers, and look at the R1, how that evolved in the years, its now an easy to ride bike, which can be used for commuting and hor Trackdays :-)

It would look funny, the S10 on a Track, but that engine got some hidden potential by the bags, just wait till someone shoehornes it inta a TRX frame :-)

R3B screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 09:41 AM
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #3041
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
How does the mission statement of the TDM compare to the S10? Just wondering, other than shaft vs. chain, and engine size/layout, what exactly was the TDM's mission? Another bike we don't have here.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3042
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
How does the mission statement of the TDM compare to the S10? Just wondering, other than shaft vs. chain, and engine size/layout, what exactly was the TDM's mission? Another bike we don't have here.
As XT stands for Cross/Trail, TDM stands for Totally-Different-Motor, it's sort of the first of the Dual sports, a sportbike with sharp steering but quite long wheeltravel to cope with bumpy backroads, and the occasional fireroad.
Sort of boulemic SM, like the Ducati Multistrada.

Yamaha likes to huffle the board now and then... SRX V-Max MT-01, its a pitty the Tessaract is to big a gamble :-)

Old 07-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #3043
Sp!ke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Ride For Life - Extensive Video added today

Maybe its just my PC but it seems a bit glitchy.
Sp!ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #3044
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ke
Ride For Life - Extensive Video added today

Maybe its just my PC but it seems a bit glitchy.
This morning it was fluent, i geuss its spreading like a viral, and the Hoster hasn't counted on the succes of the Tenere, and now the servers are faltering under the load, it sure is choppy now 1 spf instead of 30 fps :-)

Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #3045
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 343
TDM is an evolution of the XTZ750 Super Tenere

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
As XT stands for Cross/Trail, TDM stands for Totally-Different-Motor, it's sort of the first of the Dual sports, a sportbike with sharp steering but quite long wheeltravel to cope with bumpy backroads, and the occasional fireroad.
Sort of boulemic SM, like the Ducati Multistrada.

Yamaha likes to huffle the board now and then... SRX V-Max MT-01, its a pitty the Tessaract is to big a gamble :-)
First came the XT500, then the XT600 with all the models ending in the XT600Z Tenere which then give way to the XTZ750 (twin) Super Tenere ... then the engine grew to 850 and came the TRX850 and TDM850 with basically the same engine as the XTZ750 but rebored and different crank ... now we have the XTZ1200 a completely different machine but still parallel twin.
Cheers,
Roberto

XTZ750 (2) 1996 - 1993
XT600Z Tenere 1991
WR450F 2 Trac (Wish list)
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote