Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #3076
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I'm not sure these three are doing wheelies as much as all three have just cleared a jump together and front wheel hasn't come down yet. The furthest on the right still has yet to land on his back wheel which is where I get my assumption. But in any case, this just ain't fair seeing three of these beasts together when we in the USA likely won't get a chance at one.

I'd likely use it mostly for sport touring anyway since figure Yamaha aimed it at that 1200GS crowd anyway, but it still looks nice to be able to do some mild dirt stuff if want too. But if'n I were to shell out the bucks it will take for this bike, I won't be thrashing it around in dirt and gravel. I'd buy a cheap used DR650 for those duties (but me bones getting a bit old to fall in dirt too much anyway).

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #3077
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
I was hoping you might say somthing else as I have been waiting so long for this bike to arrive and I even got my wife to say YES. But I guess like all things in life you win some and loose some at the same time.
I know I will enjoy this bike a great deal but would hate to loose the great friendship and great riding trips that my mates and I have found in our small Tenere 660 club.
Well if this foto is the tough bit in Israel, the S10 wil do it without any problem, I've done way more awkward stuff in the Picos with the horrible telelever R3b, the S10 feels much more capable for such terrain, but if that kind of stuff gets *wet* it will be verry tricky with the mass it has.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #3078
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
I was hoping you might say somthing else as I have been waiting so long for this bike to arrive and I even got my wife to say YES. But I guess like all things in life you win some and loose some at the same time.
I know I will enjoy this bike a great deal but would hate to loose the great friendship and great riding trips that my mates and I have found in our small Tenere 660 club.
Your second picture shows more of the type of riding you intend to do. The S10 will eat that. But earlier you mentioned rocky river beds. That it will do but do not go near boulders.

Lets put it this way, as far as I am aware, no-one that has one has been dissapointed.
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #3079
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Can someone with more French than me give us a synopsis of the MotoRevue video comparison of the S10 and GS Adventure?

As an aside, seeing the Adventure and Super Tenere side-by-side for the first time, the Adventure looks HUGE! That's cos it is, and one of the things that turns me off it. Even if the S10 is heavier, it's much more compact.

Trevor
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #3080
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well if this foto is the tough bit in Israel, the S10 wil do it without any problem, I've done way more awkward stuff in the Picos with the horrible telelever R3b, the S10 feels much more capable for such terrain, but if that kind of stuff gets *wet* it will be verry tricky with the mass it has.
Thanks Old Git Ray and R3B for your input
I don't have to many photos and i do not want to sound like an Idiot but I think the pic bellow shows what I mean about the type of riding we do ( these 4*4's are doing a trip that we did with the 660's a few months ago.
As I said I consider myself a novice and some of the things we do would be easy for most but some times we will ride most of the day a terrain similar to what this landrover is coming down.

I think there are very few ST1200 here and they will not be to happy if I test the only one they have and bring it back fubar'd.
it costs here almost 28,500 euros ( the GSA is 39,000 Euros) so this is why i rather ask and inquire as much as I can before I do the most stupid financial thing I will ever do regardless if it is the best bike in the world or not (but it is hard to put a price on passion although my wife seems better evaluating the cost than I )

drbig screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 03:14 PM
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #3081
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Can someone with more French than me give us a synopsis of the MotoRevue video comparison of the S10 and GS Adventure?
Both are excellent machines. The GS is higher, has more autonomy, is more expensive, has a nice engine.

The Yam is lower, has excellent balance, is cheaper. The engine has less charecter. They say that the touring mode is useless (I don't agree, it is very nice in town andwhen commuting).
They don't say a lot because the complete test will be in the july 8th issue. I may buy it...

Olirider
Olirider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #3082
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 326
My dilemma

Quote:
Thanks Old Git Ray and R3B for your input
I don't have to many photos and i do not want to sound like an Idiot but I think the pic bellow shows what I mean about the type of riding we do ( these 4*4's are doing a trip that we did with the 660's a few months ago.
As I said I consider myself a novice and some of the things we do would be easy for most but some times we will ride most of the day a terrain similar to what this landrover is coming down.

I think there are very few ST1200 here and they will not be to happy if I test the only one they have and bring it back fubar'd.
it costs here almost 28,500 euros ( the GSA is 39,000 Euros) so this is why i rather ask and inquire as much as I can before I do the most stupid financial thing I will ever do regardless if it is the best bike in the world or not (but it is hard to put a price on passion although my wife seems better evaluating the cost than I )
Had 3 old Super Teneres (XTZ750) and sold one because I needed a lighter bike to do the same roads you show with probably more deep sand involved, so I found and bought a nice XT600Z with which I can do every road you want ... including long trips with its 23 liter fuel tank ... as you say, the top heavy 660 is much similar to my XTZ750 but you can ride it in very harsh conditions if you had the precaution to strengthen the chassis ... to replace the XTZ750 I'm subscribed to the buying list of 12 S12 coming next month to Chile at a value of USD24000 aprox.
Cheers,
Roberto
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3083
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider

.....The engine has less charecter.
That's BMW owners Speak for "The engine is more refined"

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #3084
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Well my french is a wel a french to me...

But the vid says it all, both machines ride the same bumpy twotrack road, the beemer does it Salse because of the telelever paraleve disharmony and the Tenere, well it looks like it just irons out the bumps in the track, giving its rider time to look at the surroundings, were the beemerboy is fighting the bull-mastiff.

Makes any comment quite superflouis

Oh and about faceplanting, do you deflate your tires a little before comencing offroad, that makes tires get losts of extra grip, but don't go under 1,5 front 1,8 rear in rocky terrain otherwis you'll have to see the wheelsmith regularly

"The engine has less character"

Yup, its not a hysterical housewife with lots of dips in her happines curve, no punctual blues at 4500 with the Yammi engine

So it has less character not to say it misses a nasty character like toouthache, like we say under the sea.

People lacking excitment in themselve and seeking it in a Tenere, will be dissapointed, it's quite nice complacent travel companion that won't be tiresome grumpy or mindblowing exhuberant, just a nice guy to do some track with, doesn't talk much but is very nice to have around.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 05:10 PM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #3085
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
New Super Tenere ordered

Took the Tenere 1200 for another test ride yesterday just to be sure it's what I wanted. Yep sure is.

I ordered mine and have a pickup date for Friday 23rd. Could have it a week earlier but I'm taking the rut rats camping.

Got it for $21,500 AUD.

did not get any extras, bloody expensive !
I feel the local bash plate makers and accessorie makers are spot on with the after market gear so i can wait till they get there products happening as I have no serious off road trips planned till Jan.

I'll attempt to post my first ride report when I pick it up from the stealer and ride it home via the nasho and grand Pacific drive.

Horseman
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #3086
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman474
Took the Tenere 1200 for another test ride yesterday just to be sure it's what I wanted. Yep sure is.

I ordered mine and have a pickup date for Friday 23rd. Could have it a week earlier but I'm taking the rut rats camping.

Got it for $21,500 AUD.

did not get any extras, bloody expensive !
I feel the local bash plate makers and accessorie makers are spot on with the after market gear so i can wait till they get there products happening as I have no serious off road trips planned till Jan.

I'll attempt to post my first ride report when I pick it up from the stealer and ride it home via the nasho and grand Pacific drive.

Horseman
Hey Horseman, tell us what state you are in (please don't say confusion!) and congratulations. I won't tell you the rideaway price i was offered for cash here in Queensland but i ended up taking a good tradein deal to save me selling my TDM privately.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #3087
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

It's a real pitty you havent ridden it yourself.
I don't dare ride the thing until my finances are healthy enough.

From what I am reading I don't like my chances of walking away unscathed.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #3088
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider
The engine has less charecter. They say that the touring mode is useless (I don't agree, it is very nice in town andwhen commuting).
Olivier,

Have you noticed a difference in fuel economy between the S and T modes? How many km's are you getting per tank?

The guy must have said "character" about the GS's engine about 10 different times, at least. And the down side of the S10? The engine has no character? So does that mean it's smooth and isn't like riding a tractor and no clunky transmission?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #3089
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
Hey Horseman, tell us what state you are in (please don't say confusion!) and congratulations. I won't tell you the rideaway price i was offered for cash here in Queensland but i ended up taking a good tradein deal to save me selling my TDM privately.

Cheers Rick
NSW- down at the Gong to be more pacific
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #3090
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,066
Not to say the Tenere lacks any, but the BMW has better bottom end tractability, torque and EFI - with better standard farkles (maybe).

I'm guessing the Yamaha is around 25% cheaper in the NZ market.
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote