ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #4816
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
Hey Old Dog, the last time I said "Nice Rack" to someone I got slapped , but I guess it is OK to say it to you huh? Get those straps out of the way since I can just see those suckers getting wrapped in the rear spokes .

Yeah that once cost me a leatherbag it was torn of my rack into the chain...

P.S, beware of saying it to men these day's, with the increasing mean-age now past middle age in the netherlands, a lot of guy's have a nice rack too, but hey i don't want to acknowledge it !
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #4817
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Yeah that once cost me a leatherbag it was torn of my rack into the chain...

P.S, beware of saying it to men these day's, with the increasing mean-age now past middle age in the netherlands, a lot of guy's have a nice rack too, but hey i don't want to acknowledge it !
LOL on the men with racks!

My strap story isn't as tragic. I had one from a tail bag melt to my brand new Nasert Titanium full exaust, with all of the ooh and awww factory blueing effects. Kept scrubbing until I removed all of the vinyl from the pipe, but he darn thing never looked the same
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #4818
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
The inconvenient Truth...

At last a full practicality test in a Dutch Magazine that is not totally owned by BMW (althugh the GS still wins Off the Road ?!?

Some very interesting data

Code:
Bike	HP	0-	50-	V-	Wgt	Brake	Price
type	PK	100	120	Max	KG	M/s˛	full-ops

GSA	113	4.1 s	8.2	215	291	9.35	21.740
MUL	147	3.3 s	7.1	245	238	9.32	21.300
VAR	091	4.3 s	8.3	203	301	9.09	14.490
XTZ	104	3.8 s	8.2	221	276	10.02	16.999
So despite its meager power Output it shows the GSA its taillight, and coming toe a standstill the GSA has stil about 24 km/h speed left, it travels another 2,8 meters until standstill...

Quite obvious the other Magazines tested in T with TC active, some measuring only 194 V-Max
And performance wise the Tenere is way more efficient with its Horsepowers 6 km/h more with 9 HP less:-)
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 11:39 AM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #4819
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
At last a full practicality test in a Dutch Magazine that is not totally owned by BMW (althugh the GS still wins Off the Road ?!?

Some very interesting data

Bike HP 0- 50- V- Wgt Brake Price
type PK 100 120 Max KG M/s˛ full-ops

GSA 113 4.1 s 8.2 215 291 9.35 21.740
MUL 147 3.3 s 7.1 245 238 9.32 21.300
VAR 091 4.3 s 8.3 203 301 9.09 14.490
XTZ 104 3.8 s 8.2 221 276 10.02 16.999


So despite its meager power Output it shows the GSA its taillight, and coming toe a standstill the GSA has stil about 24 km/h speed left, it travels another 2,8 meters until standstill...


And performance wise the Tenere is way more efficient with its Horsepowers 6 km/h more with 9 HP less:-)
Good point! I have from the beginning said that the S10 has the best and safest brakes I've encountered on a bike - especially if they can stop a bike that's supposedly quite a bit heavier (but I still fail to feel it...) in a shorter distance - that's what keeps you alive!

On the other hand, I love my S10 and when a new dual purpose hit's the market, I'll try it and if it's better, I'll go for it - simple!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #4820
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
At last a full practicality test in a Dutch Magazine that is not totally owned by BMW (althugh the GS still wins Off the Road ?!?

Some very interesting data

Code:
Bike    HP    0-    50-    V-    Wgt    Brake    Price
type    PK    100    120    Max    KG    M/s˛    full-ops
 
GSA    113    4.1 s    8.2    215    291    9.35    21.740
MUL    147    3.3 s    7.1    245    238    9.32    21.300
VAR    091    4.3 s    8.3    203    301    9.09    14.490
XTZ    104    3.8 s    8.2    221    276    10.02    16.999
So despite its meager power Output it shows the GSA its taillight, and coming toe a standstill the GSA has stil about 24 km/h speed left, it travels another 2,8 meters until standstill...

Quite obvious the other Magazines tested in T with TC active, some measuring only 194 V-Max
And performance wise the Tenere is way more efficient with its Horsepowers 6 km/h more with 9 HP less:-)
0-100 the Tenere is .3 sec faster..roll-on (50-120) is dead-even..take that MCN and Motorcyclist. I'm almost willing to bet that mode T with TC1 was selected on purpose by the aforementioned euro bike owned henchmen.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #4821
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: PA, USA, EARTH
Oddometer: 68
So, what most of the charts are saying is that the XT and GS are pretty much neck and neck in the engine department. So why have I read from a few guys that the XT engine is rather boring? I've been on an oilhead 1150RT the last 6 years and like the engine except that it could have more balls to it. How will the XT be different except for more HP?
__________________
2002 BMW R1150RT
2001 KLR650
williedikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #4822
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
At last a full practicality test in a Dutch Magazine that is not totally owned by BMW
Which mag R3B? Any any online link?

Saw this - which might make more sense to you than it does to me (after Google Translate!). No off road testing was done at all as far as I can make out: http://www.motorfreaks.nl/2010/test-...er-tenere.html
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #4823
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedikker
So, what most of the charts are saying is that the XT and GS are pretty much neck and neck in the engine department. So why have I read from a few guys that the XT engine is rather boring? I've been on an oilhead 1150RT the last 6 years and like the engine except that it could have more balls to it. How will the XT be different except for more HP?
The XT has a very smooth and linear power delivery from bottom to top, rather than the torque dipping a bit at lower RPM, then coming-on in a comparitively sudden and non-linear fashon, like the new GS. I think that's where the 'boring' vs 'Character' arguement might originate from. I think the Euro mags that are highly influenced by Euro bike advirtisement money, have to come-up with such intangible desciptions, because the GS simply cannot beat the Tenere using objective data.

I know a lot of people who are happy with the power of the 1150 oil head engine. I wouldn't make the choice based upon power alone. If you can swing a test ride, that would be the best way to compare. Owner reports from those who have owned both bikes (GS and XT) is that the XT is more off-road worthy than the GS, due to superior suspension and better traction control, mapping and ABS. On the tarmac the XT engine is way smoother, and the transmission is silky smooth compared to the clunky shifting boxer. The swing-arm is double sided which is a already a proven and very reliable desigh, used on the FJR1300. Final drive issues should be pretty much non-existent.


As far as how it compares to your RT, that's a bit of an apple to orange comparo. I'd say your RT has way better wind protection and if you only do slab touring, so you might want to stick with it. They're hard to beat for LD slab touring.

tremor38 screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 05:17 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #4824
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,746
Eek A Different Super Tenere - Yamaha World Crosser

~


Looks like Yamaha has some more ideas for the Super Tenere...


http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...world-crosser/


Check the rear saddle tank and other cool details. Perhaps some of these pieces will actually make it into Yamaha's accessory catalog.

Just FYI...


Dallara





~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #4825
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: PA, USA, EARTH
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
The XT has a very smooth and linear power delivery from bottom to top, rather than the torque dipping a bit at lower RPM, then coming-on in a comparitively sudden and non-linear fashon, like the new GS. I think that's where the 'boring' vs 'Character' arguement might originate from. I think the Euro mags that are highly influenced by Euro bike advirtisement money, have to come-up with such intangible desciptions, because the GS simply cannot beat the Tenere using objective data.

I know a lot of people who are happy with the power of the 1150 oil head engine. I wouldn't make the choice based upon power alone. If you can swing a test ride, that would be the best way to compare. Owner reports from those who have owned both bikes (GS and XT) is that the XT is more off-road worthy than the GS, due to superior suspension and better traction control, mapping and ABS. On the tarmac the XT engine is way smoother, and the transmission is silky smooth compared to the clunky shifting boxer. The swing-arm is double sided which is a already a proven and very reliable desigh, used on the FJR1300. Final drive issues should be pretty much non-existent.


As far as how it compares to your RT, that's a bit of an apple to orange comparo. I'd say your RT has way better wind protection and if you only do slab touring, so you might want to stick with it. They're hard to beat for LD slab touring.
Thanks for the info. I was really trying to find out the differences just in the motors between my RT and the XT. The RT is hard to beat for daylong slab rides, but I don't really need a bike with too much "character" anymore. Final drive rebuild over the summer and still the thought of breaking the bike in 1/2 for trans spline lube or tranny rebuild isn't something I want on my list of stuff to do. Speaking of wrenching, has anyone put enough miles on their XT to need to do any valve checks or TB syncs. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard.
__________________
2002 BMW R1150RT
2001 KLR650
williedikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #4826
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedikker
Speaking of wrenching, has anyone put enough miles on their XT to need to do any valve checks or TB syncs. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard.

Nope, almost there for first service, but valves withe Yammie is 40.000, so once a year.

No beemer comes near the silky smooth torque curve of the GTXT especially the total lack of anything resembling something like KFR, and only that is soooo relaxing, 100 200 500 1000 km's well i can't really say it feels like a long ride, i actually think its the ideal IB bike :-)

It so relaxing you actually could fall asleep, it really never tries to catch you offguard, it just delivers the exact amount of tourque you demand, quite dull if you ride unisnspiring, but well if set into S2 it realy is a smoking tommy-gun with laserguidance built in. (so the qualification "boring" i've used several times is ecxactly as Graham describes it, boring in a particularly positive sense)

P.S. it won the Sport part of the Comparetive test with the earlier mentioned bikes, because its power delivery is so dependable spot-on. He even shook of the Ducati, that was way faster on the straights and long billiard tarmac, but could not keep up on the everyday rumpelstilchen roads. Even the GS could not keep up the pace the S10 set.

It has its shortcomings, the screen is rubbish, makes your lips like on the XT660z fall asleep through irritating highrev buffeting. But the weatherprotection is quite unexpetedly good, as long as speed is kept over 50 km/h the broad tank keeps your legs *dry* only your shoes get sprayed.
The wet patches on the upper legs stem from the Jacket i ride with a very low screen setup.



As you can see the back of the right shoe is still dry, it was not heavy rain just a normal dutchdrizzl for 30 km's but i was verry pleasantly surprised with it, zo big screen sideflaps and i reackon its weather protection is not far of that of your RT.
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 03:55 PM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #4827
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca
Which mag R3B? Any any online link?

Saw this - which might make more sense to you than it does to me (after Google Translate!). No off road testing was done at all as far as I can make out: http://www.motorfreaks.nl/2010/test-...er-tenere.html
You are right, the just talk shite about the TC offroad, "you should set it on off" i know thats total bollocks, S2 is all you want, TC of, is like on a GS flying off.

The belgium roadtest, and the serpentines round Spa in the rain though are ecxactly coherent with my findings with GTXT, in the rain the TC is Brilliant with capital B, and the notion of the even more brilliant ABS is so confidence inspiring, that as they write it, you can go ballistic in the rain in total disrespect for the weight of the beast (remeber grip ain't endless though!)

But they obviously did not put TC on 2, which i must say is stupidly plopping back to TC1 if you start the bike again, nice safety feature for the modern biker with only 2k experience a year, but quite annoying for us elderly looney's.

Oh and the Mag is Promotor, i'm parttime writer myself, so i'm not a fan of copying, but it can be bought online

Though it isn't wotth the money, they still say the GS wins because of the softer saddle and better lights ( the really suck up into the arsehole of BMW bigtime...), but they did an objective testing, just fuck and suck at tconclusion time :-)

Its the first mag that obviously tested the performance in S2, it wins the sprint 0-100 km (60miles) quite conclusive compared to the 2011GSA.

Even the professional Enduro rider says the Tenere is way better Off-Road, but the Editor still puts the GS on 1st spot, in disrespect of every one whoever rode a GS on Gravel, wet mud or in soft sand (telelever sucks bigtime in thos conditions)
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 02:19 AM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #4828
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert
 
airheadpilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: near San Francisco
Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara
Tasty... very tasty.

FWIW, I think the reviewer there was a little harsh. I think that concept bike represents a build for a very specific user. If that had been the base model, it would have cost a lot more and wouldn't have appealed to nearly as many consumers. Those that want some or all of those accessories can customize their bikes accordingly.

Andrew
__________________
Big Ass Titties!
airheadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #4829
combo
D S N
 
combo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Fe, Texas
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot
Tasty... very tasty.

FWIW, I think the reviewer there was a little harsh. I think that concept bike represents a build for a very specific user. If that had been the base model, it would have cost a lot more and wouldn't have appealed to nearly as many consumers. Those that want some or all of those accessories can customize their bikes accordingly.

Andrew
YEP!
__________________
I don't know where I'm going but I won't be late!
combo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #4830
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot
Tasty... very tasty.

FWIW, I think the reviewer there was a little harsh.
He is just repeating Beemer propaganda, and surely hasn't ridden a mile on the S10, he just is a Knownot.


So he isn't harsh, he just doesn't know what he is talking about, the Tenere defaced the GS in a Pro-Beemer Mag in holland :-)
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014