Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #46
csturboz
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
A 1200 parallel twin?
Does it come with a half-gallon of Locktite?

csturboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #47
JustAL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Well hell. Looks the goods now eh?

If it comes with a 24-30L tank it's a contender for the next bike....right next to the 660.

White and red

alGARDNER
alexandergardner.com

flickr

--

WANT TO SAVE $5 ON SMUGMUG? USE MY COUPON! - raflgiWZAtPVY
JustAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #48
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Lamest. photochop. ever.

And I don't see any reason for a 1200cc parallel twin, if it's modelled after the current Ténéré OR the old SuperTen.

With BMW bringing the 800GS, an updated TDM 900 twin would be perfect. I'm waiting for the italian paparazzi, but I'm sure not holding my breath.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #49
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortwoods Tiger
In the US we only have one (V-Strom/Suzuki). I'm sure we'll get boned once again. We just have way to many poser's over here who buy 80 year old styled boulevard barges to justify importing an actualy useful motorcyle.
Finally, the real thing. You, Nortwoods will be the new leader of the Whiners.

The Whiners are a group of motorcyclists that blame the Posers for all their problems.

The Posers are a group of motorcyclists that are smart enough to know that the U.S Of America has the greatest road infrastructure in the world that connects every city, town & hamlet. These Posers buy confortable touring motorcycles to travel these roads but it annoys the Whiners who already enough choices in motorcycles that it would take a life time to test ride them all but its all about attention with Whiners. This is why now you see motorcycles splattered with stickers and carrying enough gear to make it look like it just went around the world in 80 days. But we know the truth, is out for a days ride like all the posers.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #50
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
mmm this magazine is very rarly wrong i think it will arrive as stated and be a genuine contender to the ktm gs ect ,,,the big trailie market needs a shake up and looking at the write up this may be the one to do it
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #51
rwcfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
1200 paralel twin?

I read an article not long ago in Cycleworld identifying the reasons that No one has built a 1000cc plus side by side twin. It has to do with balancing the internals, not saying it can't be done. It just doesnt seem logical, why not a vee or a side by side 900. I cant even imagine what it would be like to ride a bike with 2 YZF 450 singles side by side
rwcfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #52
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcfrank
I read an article not long ago in Cycleworld identifying the reasons that No one has built a 1000cc plus side by side twin. It has to do with balancing the internals, not saying it can't be done. It just doesnt seem logical, why not a vee or a side by side 900. I cant even imagine what it would be like to ride a bike with 2 YZF 450 singles side by side
Here you are a 1000cc side by side twin ... not plus but close http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...s/mz_1000s.htm

Pulasky screwed with this post 02-14-2008 at 04:03 PM
Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #53
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
It's going to weigh less than 180 kg, have spoked and tubeless 21" front and 17" rear, carry it's weight so low that it'll be easier to handle than a 125, have a really low 1st gear for rock crawling and a very high 6th for autobahn cruising faster than sport bikes. oh yes, it'll cost less than a F650 and include luggage and free service for the life of the bike.

I read that on MCN.

Gustavo

PS - If you believe half of what MCN prints as "news", I have this bridge in London you may also be interested in...
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #54
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky
Here you are a 1000cc side by side twin ... not plus but close http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...s/mz_1000s.htm

WOrked well for them eh?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #55
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
PS - If you believe half of what MCN prints as "news", I have this bridge in London you may also be interested in...
Too late. Some sucker in Lake Havasu already bought it!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #56
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcfrank
You're describing the TDM900...

And some cargo ships have mount twin engines with thousands of cc's each cylinder.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #57
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
It's going to weigh less than 180 kg, have spoked and tubeless 21" front and 17" rear, carry it's weight so low that it'll be easier to handle than a 125, have a really low 1st gear for rock crawling and a very high 6th for autobahn cruising faster than sport bikes. oh yes, it'll cost less than a F650 and include luggage and free service for the life of the bike.

I read that on MCN.

Gustavo

mmm well it may be the ri news some of the time ....but it has a spot on record for this type of prediction ,,,i yhink the bikes are selectivly leaked
for publication .... you cant get more deffinate than deffinate
...bet you a gallon of 10/40
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #58
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
- If you believe half of what MCN prints as "news", I have this bridge in London you may also be interested in...
The only surprise for me is that Yamaha have left the market to BMW for so long given their past pedigree in adventure bikes.

A big plus for yamaha is their reliability & recognition that adventure tourers need adventure size fuel tanks. I'd prefer a smaller/lighter engine but the factors above will probably persuade me over the GS800. I can't wait to see some spy shots
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #59
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio

But we know the truth, is out for a days ride like all the posers.
Yeah, but it's where you ride for that day that makes the difference
You have a very valid point although it's really not just posers, as there are plenty of serious riders that never think about exploreing further than our great highway system.

If this rumour is remotely true I still wouldn't bet on it bieng anything more than competition for the Strom or Varedero. I hope I'm wrong. I always thought my ol TDM did pretty good on dirt roads, add some more suspension travel and ground clearence and you'd really have a good sport touring bike that would eat up fire roads pretty good. If they were to bring us a Strom with better exploring capabilities I'd have to consider trading, but I still wouldn't call it my "adventure" bike.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #60
MotoChris521
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
The largest on/ off road motorcycle Yamaha offers in the US of A is a 250.
Now , some rumor of a 1200. How about something in between,say like a 660. Come on Yamaha, YOU CAN DO IT !
MotoChris521 is offline   Reply With Quote