Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #6271
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Just ordered the mud guard... I wish it was that easy with all overseas companies..
10-21 days....
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #6272
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Just ordered the mud guard... I wish it was that easy with all overseas companies..
10-21 days....
Plenty of time before delivery!!! I may be placing my order too as I'm sure it will help keep the engine/pipes much cleaner.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #6273
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy L View Post

Just finished this video about a week ago, and wanted to get a sense how many of you will be riding off road? What hard parts are you currently considering?
Thanks for the vid Jeremy. Good looking kit you've got there.

I have a suggestion for the crash bars. Many of us who either have or are considering the S10 (I'm in the second group at the moment) will likely be putting auxiliary lighting somewhere. One possible spot would be on the crash bars, in towards the forks so they are protected. Back when I had my BMW GS, one of the reasons I purchased the HB crash bars vs. some of the others out there was because they had mount points built-in for aux lights. This saved another $100 in mounting hardware, and provided a great spot for the lights so they worked well, and were well protected in case of a fall.

I hope that helps.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #6274
Jeremy L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Thanks for the feedback, guys, it’s good to hear. Appreciate you giving me a run down on what you’re planning to use.

@Martinh: the skid plate is 10.5 lbs, and you’re right, the material is thick – 4.75 mm anodized aluminum is beefier than what other manufacturers are using, but we think it offers better protection. The crash bars also weight 10.5 lbs, and they will be undergoing minor revisions before moving to production.

We’re going to make an effort to get our parts for the Tenere at the NY (as well as Cleveland and Chicago) motorcycle show.

@Dallara: glad the AltRider stuff might make the list. You mention that the universal joint guard might be a purchase, but hasn’t been an issue in the past. It isn’t evident in pictures, but when riding, the OEM u-joint guard easily gets caught in your riding gear… and you don’t notice it until you attempt to put your foot down. Not a good situation. Our guard features an enclosed top – it attaches to the nut on the inside of the subframe mount to avoid the problem with the OEM. A guard of some sort is needed here, because the rubber boot is only attached by friction.

Concerning the luggage rack storage area, I fully agree. The ideal solution of course is off the shelf i.e. already in production. If we were to develop something, it would be difficult to achieve good pricing.

Please send me any ideas you have, including both textile and molded. These solutions have multiple applications because we want to integrate modular carrying cases/fuel containers into our pannier design. Finding great items now helps while we’re still in the design phase.

All that said, creating our own carrying cases is not out of the question, so let me know what would be acceptable retail pricing.

AltRider.com
Jeremy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #6275
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Hi Jeremy,
I noticed you are planning an abs switch. I would like to buy that if you leave off the bracket and make the wiring long enough to go to a handle bar top plate. There is one being sold on the forum that is perfect(for me) to house extra switches.

I like your rear rack but would like it lower to match the height of the pilon base when the pilon is removed.
This would be great for solo riders and give a nice flat area to carry bags.

Also on the crash guards, I would like to see the pipe flow with the body lines IF possible. And the idea of a mounting place for running lights is nice..

I am ready to order as soon as you have your final production ready.
Thanks for the great effort.
Jim
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #6276
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Jeremy,

I would like a universal auxiliary light mount that goes in the same location as the touratech mount below. Right now the only options are to mount lights directly under the headlights or mount them to crash bars. However, the only crash bars that would allow me to locate the lights at the appoximate location i want are the yamaha ones. If i wanted to get the other crash bars such as your or sw motech, I am limited. The touratech mounts force you to buy their light and plus, the way they are designed, they limit the size of light you can put in there. So if you can make a bracket that goes in the same location but might fit something like these http://www.trailtech.net/single_hid_sc4.html that would be great. I would prefer to buy from you instead of touratech.

Here is what i'm referring to :

A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #6277
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
I would like a universal auxiliary light mount that goes in the same location as the touratech mount below. The touratech mounts force you to buy their light and plus, the way they are designed, they limit the size of light you can put in there.
Click here to see our Super Tenere products:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/821/

We've already developed a fairing mount for auxiliary lights ($39.99):
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5694/821/

You can fit most compact lights in that location, and it keeps them protected from damage should you drop your bike on its side. The latest technology allows your auxiliary lights to be pretty small and still light up the road well. Bigger isn't always better.

The mounts work well with our Denali LED light kit ($299):
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5224/790/
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #6278
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,752
Thumb Thanks for listening...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy L View Post

Thanks for the feedback, guys, it’s good to hear. Appreciate you giving me a run down on what you’re planning to use...

@Dallara: glad the AltRider stuff might make the list. You mention that the universal joint guard might be a purchase, but hasn’t been an issue in the past. It isn’t evident in pictures, but when riding, the OEM u-joint guard easily gets caught in your riding gear… and you don’t notice it until you attempt to put your foot down. Not a good situation. Our guard features an enclosed top – it attaches to the nut on the inside of the subframe mount to avoid the problem with the OEM. A guard of some sort is needed here, because the rubber boot is only attached by friction.

Concerning the luggage rack storage area, I fully agree. The ideal solution of course is off the shelf i.e. already in production. If we were to develop something, it would be difficult to achieve good pricing.

Please send me any ideas you have, including both textile and molded. These solutions have multiple applications because we want to integrate modular carrying cases/fuel containers into our pannier design. Finding great items now helps while we’re still in the design phase.

All that said, creating our own carrying cases is not out of the question, so let me know what would be acceptable retail pricing.

Thank you, Jeremy, for taking the time to ask what we would like to have out here, and for listening to the responses.

Regarding the universal joint guard... You've sold me. As someone who has crashed off-road before because gear got hung up on bike hard points I know exactly where you're coming from. Your guard just made list of "must haves"!

Regarding the storage area underneath your rear rack solution and some sort of bag or container to got there... I understand your assessment that some current, already developed, "off the shelf" piece would be ideal, but what I have in mind is simple. Nothing more than a canvas bag sized and sewn to fit in the spot made into your rack space, with just some sewn-on straps to affix it to the points you've already provided, would be sufficient. I would hope that wouldn't be too expensive to develop, but I can understand that perhaps the sales volume would not support it.

Would love to hear more about your pannier/side case design. Interesting, too, you mentioning about having integrated spaces on them for extra carrying capacity is a neat idea, and if one of those areas matched the size and shape of the space underneath your rear rack if would provide other potential sales numbers for any bag or container that could fit into both.

Oddly enough, I have always wondered why folks designing panniers/side cases don't more often think of ways of carrying items (or bags/containers) externally on them somehow. If tools/spares/repair kits/etc. could all be carried on the outside of panniers in some fashion then it would be possible that the panniers never need be opened for road or trail repairs. Even a dedicated "section" of a pannier - underneath, on the rear, etc. - with a separate opening for access could provide such a space. That, or near flush attachment points that would allow soft bags of some sort to lash onto the panniers, would be terrific.

I hope that makes sense somehow, and I'm not simply making the concept more confusing, In my mind I can see it as simple, but I understand that implementing it may not be as such.

Thanks again for letting us offer up our suggestions.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #6279
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
thanks twisted throttle, I'm considering that mount.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #6280
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
S 10 Use and Farkles

What Docking Pilot said. "If I wasn't going to ride her offroad, I wouldn't have bought it."

The actual numbers will probably be 70/30 on/off as I will use it as a commuter and my "everything" bike.

But I am buying THIS bike specifically for the once a year 10-14 day adventure ride as well as weekend Adventur rides. The overwhelming criteria is off road ablility.

My farkle list pretty much mimics what other have written.
Protection will be first:

Bash plate - AltRider unless someone else shows something spectacular
Crash bars - liking the AltRider solution best.
Heated grips - ordered with the bike

From there it gets a bit fuzzy.
On the list:

Better handguards
Handlebars - unless the stockers are fantastic as is
Auxililiary lighting
Hard bags - completely undecided on which ones - except it WON'T be the Yamaha parts
Exhaust

Will probably change out ther rear rack too - the AltRider rack is trick and will be hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
If I wasn't going to ride her offroad, I wouldn't have bought it.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #6281
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
10-21 days....
Did you have to call to get the shipping cost to the US? When I tried to place the order, it does not calculate shipping, but instead tells me to "consult with office".

Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #6282
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Thank you, Mr. Pitts...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post

What Docking Pilot said. "If I wasn't going to ride her offroad, I wouldn't have bought it."

The actual numbers will probably be 70/30 on/off as I will use it as a commuter and my "everything" bike.

But I am buying THIS bike specifically for the once a year 10-14 day adventure ride as well as weekend Adventure rides. The overwhelming criteria is off road ability.

Amen, Mr. Pitts... Amen.

Some of us have to ride a lot miles just to get to good areas were we can ride off-road. For instance, I can't wait to get my new Super Ten out to Big Bend so I can explore all the great off-road areas there... but those areas are 550-600 miles from where I live at the other side of Texas. That's more than the entire boundary length of Docking Pilot's state of New Jersey (http://www.city-data.com/states/New-...nd-extent.html)...

Sure, a few weekends (and hopefully weeks) during the year I'll be seeking off-road spots to ride the Super Ten all over Texas (and the hopefully the entire USA), but the rest of the time I will be touring and riding the bike for fun, and primarily on pavement. I think if some riders were to candidly examine their own "on vs. off-road" ratios they might find they spent more time on pavement than they realize.

But hey, it's all still riding, and it's all still good!

Dallara

~

~
Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #6283
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
S 10 Use

Dallara - find one of Docking Pilot's posts and click on the links in his signature line to see the kind of riding we do on our yearly ADV trips.

The S10 seems to be the perfect bike for these trips.
At least thats my hope
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #6284
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Hi Jeremy,

Also on the crash guards, I would like to see the pipe flow with the body lines IF possible.Jim
I agree with Jim on this and have mentioned it before. The kink in the upper bar just seems out of place. In looking at the pics of your bike laid over on the crash bars, that section of pipe doesn't touch the ground. You must have a reason for that shape, but personally I don't care for it, just as I don't care for the Yamaha unsightly bar that goes up under the front fairing.

Thanks.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #6285
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Understood...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post

Dallara - find one of Docking Pilot's posts and click on the links in his signature line to see the kind of riding we do on our yearly ADV trips.

The S10 seems to be the perfect bike for these trips.
At least thats my hope

Just took a look at a couple, and I gotta' say those look like some fun rides!!! Wish I could have been along... I especially like the one where the bikes were shipped in, riders flew in, and then were delivered in the limo!!!

That's not only wonderfully decadent and impressive, but looks like too much FUN as well!!!

Gotta' say, you guys know how to travel.

I guess my point was that I wouldn't be buying my S-10 if I wasn't going to be riding it off-road, either... But that some of us will be having to spend a lot of pavement time on them as well. Funny, too, as I spent years riding and racing (flat track, MX, hare scrambles, enduros) off-road before I ever got on pavement, and I used to poke fun at pavement riders. Then I got a street bike and had a great time there, too. A few years later I tried road racing and had even more fun...

Like I said earlier, it's all riding, and it's all good!

Dallara

~

~