Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #6361
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Have you seen a price on the engine guards? The pic from Dcstrom is the first one I have seen.
The biggest concern I have with crash bars is whether I will be able to tilt the tank up for general servicing without having to remove the crash bars. Also of concern is being able to remove the small side panels that cover the radiator and battery/electrical panel area with the crash bars in place.

The Givi's on my DL 1000 have to be removed to get some of the plastic off. A real PITA because that means I have to drop the skid plate, too. Takes a long time just to get to the air filter and throttle bodies. I won't make that mistake again!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #6362
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Not available in the US yet but this ebay seller has them for 150 euro ($200)

Trevor
That's a good price.. I would like to see where they mount and some more close pics. Hopefully Givi usa will have them soon.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #6363
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
thanks edog - does one really have to REPLACE a tyre after a puncture?
No. YMMV.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #6364
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I like the look of them - but they are like the Yamaha/BMW genuine cases, in that they are plastic with alloy sheet bonded to them to make them look like alloy. Plastic vs alloy bags both have their pros and cons, but I fail to see the point of mixing the two materials, unless it's for cosmetic reasons. And cosmetics is the last thing I care about (I own a V-Strom).

That said, maybe they have some sound engineering that takes advantage of the properties of both materials, and they seem to have some nice features. But I wouldn't pull the trigger on them before I see some close up and read some reviews.

Trevor

These are currently my top choice for bags (3-piece). Unless another setup really grabs my eye, I intend to pull the trigger on these within the next month.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #6365
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
Whilst our comrades in the north of Australia turn their Super's into submarines, the south of our great continent continues to have great riding conditions........and the potential for flats.

Here is a 'How to repair' from Yamaha Australia factory mechanic, Darren Thompson. A really nice helpful bloke.

What do people think of these vs Plunger type;

raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #6366
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
The 'stop & go' are more than a bit fiddly. If you have a 'perfect' puncture they will work, but their 'operating envelope' is quite restrictive. I have had holes that were a bit large or jagged and I could not get the stop&go's (even multiple) to stay sealed. I went back to the old standby...your regular old-tech and cheap 'string' plugs that you can get anywhere.

I have never, ever had one of the string plugs fail and I have been using them in cars and bikes for over 30 years. If you get a big gash, even in your sidewall, just put a couple in. The one thing different that I do is to coat the string plugs with the rubber tube patch cement just before I insert them. It makes insertion easy and really bonds with the tire.

I had high hopes for the stop & go, but was disappointed.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #6367
Dirt_Dad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
The biggest concern I have with crash bars is whether I will be able to tilt the tank up for general servicing without having to remove the crash bars. Also of concern is being able to remove the small side panels that cover the radiator and battery/electrical panel area with the crash bars in place.

The Givi's on my DL 1000 have to be removed to get some of the plastic off. A real PITA because that means I have to drop the skid plate, too. Takes a long time just to get to the air filter and throttle bodies. I won't make that mistake again!
+1. I have the same Givi bars. I will not make that mistake again. Must be able to service the bike with bars in place.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #6368
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Got an insurance quote on a financed Super Tenere...

Sharing my Super Tenere insurance quote info for your planning purposes. REJ = rejected (I wasn't asked; it was filled out like that automatically using GEICO's online rate quote tool.) Total = U.S.$402.80 for one year coverage.

Bodily Injury Liability(BI)15/30$47.00
Property Damage Liability(PD)5M$20.00
Medical Payments(MED)REJ$.00
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist(UM&UND)REJ$.00
Comprehensive(COMP)500$61.00
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage(UMPD)REJ$.00
Collision(COLL)500$263.00
Towing(TOW)NON-DED$10.00
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #6369
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
So I guess that means they have the Super Tenere on the books already? Whereabouts are you located? That price is only about $50 more than my '02 Vee in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Sharing my Super Tenere insurance quote info for your planning purposes. REJ = rejected (I wasn't asked; it was filled out like that automatically using GEICO's online rate quote tool.) Total = U.S.$402.80 for one year coverage.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #6370
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Insurance quote...

I'm in Sacramento, California.

They don't have the XT1200Z in their drop-down list of Yamaha models, but they have a way for you to fill it in using "other". I did have to call it a 2011 model instead of 2012 as that was the latest model year choice allowed.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #6371
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Hmmmm, I'm still hoping for $300 or less, similar to my FJR. I may try to call my (State Farm) agent today and see if they can provide some preliminary numbers.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #6372
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Have you seen a price on the engine guards? The pic from Dcstrom is the first one I have seen.
No, but the ebay price Trevor listed is pretty good. I also like the Altrider stuff, but seems they are more a BMW aftermarket supplier and their prices are a reflection of that (IMHO) i.e. very pricey.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #6373
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
No, but the ebay price Trevor listed is pretty good. I also like the Altrider stuff, but seems they are more a BMW aftermarket supplier and their prices are a reflection of that (IMHO) i.e. very pricey.

JDP
Have to agree with the "pricey"... The nice thing about ALTrider is they are asking for input from us and they are made in the USA.. I plan on buying a few items if I can afford it. lol
Oh, and they are checking on the fit of the crash bars and being able to tilt the tank without taking them off.
That will be a deal breaker for me..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #6374
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Have to agree with the "pricey"... The nice thing about ALTrider is they are asking for input from us and they are made in the USA..
I wonder how much the fact that they use stainless steel - at least on the crash bars - contributes to their priciness? More expensive material, harder to work... I'd be happy with a steel version if it took $100 off the price.

Trevor
Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #6375
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
I'm in Sacramento, California.

They don't have the XT1200Z in their drop-down list of Yamaha models, but they have a way for you to fill it in using "other". I did have to call it a 2011 model instead of 2012 as that was the latest model year choice allowed.
I can see that being a problem - why Yamaha called it the 2012 model is anybodys guess.