Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #6376
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I can see that being a problem - why Yamaha called it the 2012 model is anybodys guess.
So that we could be 2 years ahead of you guys?

I'll feel like Dr Who, riding a bike from the future...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #6377
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Hmmmm, I'm still hoping for $300 or less, similar to my FJR. I may try to call my (State Farm) agent today and see if they can provide some preliminary numbers.
Called my agent. No listing for the SuperT yet. Preliminary numbers look to be higher (???) than my FJR by about $100 a year.

Go figure.........
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #6378
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Why the bodily injury liability is so low? 15/30 can't even cover a broken finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Sharing my Super Tenere insurance quote info for your planning purposes. REJ = rejected (I wasn't asked; it was filled out like that automatically using GEICO's online rate quote tool.) Total = U.S.$402.80 for one year coverage.

Bodily Injury Liability(BI)15/30$47.00
Property Damage Liability(PD)5M$20.00
Medical Payments(MED)REJ$.00
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist(UM&UND)REJ$.00
Comprehensive(COMP)500$61.00
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage(UMPD)REJ$.00
Collision(COLL)500$263.00
Towing(TOW)NON-DED$10.00
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #6379
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I just spoke with my insurance company(AARP Foremost) and was not happy with what I was told.
It seems that the underwriters have classified the Tenere as a "performance bike". It is showing up as a 2012, so you can get a rate.

I asked them to take another look, and they said it was a done deal...

It is still not a deal breaker for me, but it may be for younger guys. Oh, and they have the BMW 1200 gs/a, listed as a dual purpose bike.
Someone does not know their ass from a whole in the ground..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #6380
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I just spoke with my insurance company(AARP Foremost) and was not happy with what I was told.
It seems that the underwriters have classified the Tenere as a "performance bike". It is showing up as a 2012, so you can get a rate.

I asked them to take another look, and they said it was a done deal...

It is still not a deal breaker for me, but it may be for younger guys. Oh, and they have the BMW 1200 gs/a, listed as a dual purpose bike.
Someone does not know their ass from a whole in the ground..
Maybe the underwriters have been watching some of the videos that have been posted here!!!

EDIT: Per the Yamaha website, the Super Tenere is a Dual Purpose.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #6381
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe the underwriters have been watching some of the videos that have been posted here!!!

EDIT: Per the Yamaha website, the Super Tenere is a Dual Purpose.
Yep, now all we have to do in convince the underwriters...lol
Foremost is a big insurer of motorcycles and I hope other companies are not doing the same..

In the long run this could hurt Yamaha sales of the Tenere.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6382
japako
Studly Adventurer

Just got off the phone with Geico, and they are rating it as a sport bike. They have their own underwriters..
Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #6383
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I can see that being a problem - why Yamaha called it the 2012 model is anybodys guess.
For a May 2011 USA release, I don't think they could call it a 2011. 2012 is correct.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #6384
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
I just talked to a lady at AARP/Foremost and they do indeed have it listed as a performance bike at this time. I asked her if there was someone who we could talk to about this and she put me on hold for a bit and then came back to tell me that the classification was that it was a partially faired sport styled bike. I asked her if she could input some customer feedback that they should re-evaluate that, as it certainly is not a sport styled bike. Yamaha USA's web site lists it as an adventure touring bike. She said that since the bike is not even here yet, she was told that they would probably be taking another look, once it is here. I told here that if they didn't reclassify, I would be looking for other coverage.

BTW, I went to Foremost thru AARP two years ago after having State Farm for over 40 years. I got the same coverage limits, plus emergency roadside assistance and saved over 40% vs my State Farm coverage. Although the rate she quoted me for the S10 is too high, in my opinion, it still is less than State Farm was charging for my ST1300, which Foremost classifies as a touring bike.

Sounds like they are picturing the partially faired S10 as similar to a FZ1 or something.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #6385
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Although the rate she quoted me for the S10 is too high, in my opinion, it still is less than State Farm was charging for my ST1300, which Foremost classifies as a touring bike.

Fred, what was Foremost charging for your ST1300? I don't remember what I was paying on my '06, but I'm paying just under $300/year for my '08 FJR.
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #6386
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
For a May 2011 USA release, I don't think they could call it a 2011. 2012 is correct.
When Honda brought out the VTR1000 Superhawk, the first year in the USA was a 1998 and I got mine in April, 1997, so the May 2011 delivery of the 2012 S10 is similar.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #6387
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Just got off the phone with Geico, and they are rating it as a sport bike. They have their own underwriters..

*I* just got off the phone with Geico, they told me it was a standard bike... I asked about classifications - I have a 1000 V-Strom with them as well, which they said is classified as a sport bike. I asked why the S10 was a standard bike and Vee a sport, when they are basically the same type of bike? She said it's partly linked to the number of claims they have. So a Vee would have been a standard bike once upon a time... before some silly buggers started crashing them...

Since the S10 has many more safety features there'll be less crashing going on and it will remain a standard bike - right?

Quote on my S10 for DC was $520/year, about $120 more than the Strom. Even though the Strom is a "sport" classification, it costs less cos of the difference in value.

Trevor
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #6388
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,760
I think here in Mexico they classified the S10 as a Space Shuttle. My insurance, full coverage is 24,000 pesos = approx. $2,200usd per year

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #6389
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
When Honda brought out the VTR1000 Superhawk, the first year in the USA was a 1998 and I got mine in April, 1997, so the May 2011 delivery of the 2012 S10 is similar.
The "rule" (unsure who sets it), is that a mfg can use the next model year (MY) for any vehicle sold April or later in the previous year. So anybody doing a spring release of a new model will always choose the next MY because "newer is always better". Hell, they'd be selling 2015's now if they could get away with it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #6390
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Laugh Insurance...

~

Insurance companies can be a true mystery...

Back in early 2004 I bought a 2002 BMW R1150R. I insured it with GEICO, and the rate for full coverage was like $250 a year. It remained that for 2005, then suddenly it jumped up to like $375 when I went to renew for 2006. I asked what the deal was... I had no claims, no tickets, no changes, etc., plus it was now 2 years older. After going through a couple of people on the phone they informed me that the R1150R had been "reclassified" - previously it had been "rated" a "standard", but was now "rated" a "sports" motorcycle!!!

Long story short, we went round and round on the phone, and then they asked if they could call me back. They did about 30 minutes later and said they would renew at my old rate, etc. because I was such a good customer (I had a couple of other bikes insured with them), blah, blah, blah. Honestly, I think they just didn't want to lose a customer carrying a few bikes with them that had never made a claim. I argued it should be lower since the bike was older, but ended up taking what I could get...

Point is, all insurance rates are negotiable IMHO, and it never hurts to play "hardball" with 'em a bit.

I should also say I used to be a Dairyland agent back when I was a Honda motorcycle dealer, and back then I found out an interesting thing... May not be the same now, but at that time the criteria that bikes were "rated", or "classified", as varied not just from state to state, by even from county to county within the state!!! Our county had a high incidence for large-displacement bike crashes and claims, so even Gold Wings were "classified" as "high performance" bikes!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 03:11 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote