Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #6631
ironmorph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
Agreed not complicated. I do it all the time with the Givi bars on my Strom. But I'm completely burned out on having to remove the bars to do routine maintenance items. Not hard, but a real PITA. Without a doubt it is my deciding factor.
I agree with you. I am not taking that off each time I want to service the left side. I am probably going to design my own as I did with the strom. I like the alt rider bars, but if the panels are not removable with them in place, I am designing my own.
ironmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #6632
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
and how long is that now?

can we cross off February yet?
Heck yes, one day is gone and it is a short month, so Feb. is history--2 1/2 mo. to go.

Oh yeah, I do like the looks (and price) of the Givi bars and the Hepco Becker bars but can't recall if I've read about the ability to remove both side panels with these bars. And as the other poster said, if the SW Motech bars allow the left panel to be removed with a 10 min. removal job, I'd expect the Altrider ones to be able to do the same. Maybe this is much ado about nothing

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #6633
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
I have to agree, what's the big deal with removing the crash bar--it's 4 bolts to remove the Altrider Bar on the left. I don't care what anyone else does...I'm just scratching my head and agreeing with the 'it's not a big deal to remove them' comments.

If the crashbar is superior...what else is there? I see there are really folks that would not buy it because you had to remove it to get at the L/S panel.

REALLY?

If the purpose of the bar is to protect, and one bar does it better than another (which looking at the mil/construction of the Altrider product it's superior)...the choice seems clear.

4 bolts is a deal breaker?

For me the deal breaker is that one bar is weaker than another.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #6634
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
I have to agree, what's the big deal with removing the crash bar--it's 4 bolts to remove the Altrider Bar on the left. I don't care what anyone else does...I'm just scratching my head and agreeing with the 'it's not a big deal to remove them' comments.

If the crashbar is superior...what else is there? I see there are really folks that would not buy it because you had to remove it to get at the L/S panel.

REALLY?

It is not and never has been a question of removing 4 bolts for the left side.. Both sides are connected with a round bar or tube inside at the center split point.
According to Altrider, removing this would weaken the entire system. There for both sides have to come off to remove the left panel.

If the purpose of the bar is to protect, and one bar does it better than another (which looking at the mil/construction of the Altrider product it's superior)...the choice seems clear.

4 bolts is a deal breaker?

For me the deal breaker is that one bar is weaker than another.
It is not and never has been a question of removing 4 bolts for the left side.. Both sides are connected with a round bar or tube inside at the center split point.
According to Altrider, removing this would weaken the entire system. There for both sides have to come off to remove the left panel.

I wish you could remove just the left side, and maybe you can if you want to hack the system. Just my opinion and what I was told by Altrider..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #6635
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
I talked to Jeremy at DR Rock's party in NYC last week...so I'm sold. I wasn't drinking and I remember him saying 4 bolts.

So...maybe that's not the case--BUT if it is, strongest crashbars? I'm going for that .

I tend to drop things. You should see what the safari tank looks like on my WR.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #6636
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post

Also, I doubt the Touratech bars are much more expensive than the altrider bars at $350
I checked touratech's GS bars - price is $395. Wouldn't expect the S10 bars to be any less.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #6637
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
maybe having to remove the bars is not a big deal, but since I'm buying a set, I certainly will buy ones that don't require it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #6638
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
maybe having to remove the bars is not a big deal, but since I'm buying a set, I certainly will buy ones that don't require it.
You don't have to remove the bars to remove the panels with the OEM bars, but they don't protect the side panels, so I won't be buying them.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #6639
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Fenda Extenda

Pyramid Plastics in the UK now have a fender (mudguard) extender on their site for order. A much needed accessory, I'd say, 'cos of the amount of crap thrown up onto the pipe headers and other inaccessible bits thereabouts.

I've ordered, but so far not seen one, so can't speak to the quality yet.

http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/catalog/index.php

rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #6640
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I like that fender guard by Pyamid Plastics. As for the crash bars, it isn't about 4 bolts. It is about "can I get the tank up without doing anything to the crash bars." I'm thinking taking out the 4 left side bolts on the Altrider bars isn't going to make it real mobile unless loosening the right side ones too. I do like those bars, but if Givi or Hepco Beckers will allow both side panels to be removed without taking them off, I'll seriously consider them. Givi is about $166 or something too which is kind of nice if they work well.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #6641
japako
Studly Adventurer

When you receive the extender, would you please do a write up on the installation with some pics.

I purchased the Power Bronze Racing extender and it came with 4 sheet metal screws.. Not sure I like that method.

I'll do a write up when I get my bike, whenever that is..

As both pieces are ABS, I am thinking abs glue?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #6642
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
fyi,

you can buy the yamaha oem engine guard from yamabits in the UK for 200 GBP which works out to $320 USD. Of course shipping cost would probably eliminate the cost savings, but if you ordered some other items, it might be worth it. Just a thought.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #6643
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
When you receive the extender, would you please do a write up on the installation with some pics....
The installation instructions specify using some screws, but gluing alone is fine if you have the right glue - I think you're right... ABS cement is the best stuff to use. I'd remove the fender if you're just gluing so you can get the right contact pressure on the job for long enough. I've had a glued-on FendaExtenda on my V-Strom for five years without an issue.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #6644
japako
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Mark.. Glue it is then. I'll take a look with the fender on the bike, mark and install with the fender off the bike.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #6645
martinh
SSYSO Recruiter

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
When you receive the extender, would you please do a write up on the installation with some pics.

I purchased the Power Bronze Racing extender and it came with 4 sheet metal screws.. Not sure I like that method.

I'll do a write up when I get my bike, whenever that is..

Thanks
I had one of them for my Strom. It was a nice product and worked well. I was waiting for it to come out the ST. On the Strom I used JB Weld and it never came off. I will not be putting screws through the fender.
XR650L K6 Sold
martinh is offline   Reply With Quote