Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #6751
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
...this is the pillion seat of my XT1200Z. It's the place my wife puts her tight ass (pilates instructor)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
pictures, please
+1
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #6752
martinh
SSYSO Recruiter

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I am waiting for am SW-Motech GPS mount to arrive. I think I am going to have problems mixing it with Wasps screen adjuster, due to the presence of the bars. Greg says the bars are needed for stiffness and cannot be done without.
If you mount something to the top bar it will spin around when you adjust the screen as the bars are only a strenthening spacer and are not fixed. On top of that they are only about 8-10mm in dia so finding a fixing might not be easy.
I hope you post up and let us know how you make out with the GPS. I like wasps adjuster but i want the GPS above the gauges. That is where I had it on the Vee and is a perfect place. You don't have to take your eyes too far off the road, plus it protects it in the rain.
XR650L K6 Sold
martinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #6753
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh View Post
I hope you post up and let us know how you make out with the GPS. I like wasps adjuster but i want the GPS above the gauges. That is where I had it on the Vee and is a perfect place. You don't have to take your eyes too far off the road, plus it protects it in the rain.
I find this (top handlebar clamp) the ideal position for the gps.
Allows you to read the detail easier rather than being too far away + exactly the right attitude for viewing.

Greg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #6754
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post

Greg,
The problem I have with this is as I am getting older, my eyes are going long sighted and it appears a bit blurred at this distance. I already have mine above the clutch master cylinder and I have difficulty focusing on it, especially when the light is not good. I spend a lot of time figuring out what it actually reads and that is dangerous. Perhaps I should hand my license back ----- not.
Ray
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #6755
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

GPS Mounting Location

Agree with Old Git (I'm an old git myself). I'd like the GPS above the gauges.

Better for my optimal reading distance, better for reading the GPS while standing. Reduces the necessity to look down to see the GPS.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #6756
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Greg,
The problem I have with this is as I am getting older, my eyes are going long sighted and it appears a bit blurred at this distance. I already have mine above the clutch master cylinder and I have difficulty focusing on it, especially when the light is not good. I spend a lot of time figuring out what it actually reads and that is dangerous. Perhaps I should hand my license back ----- not.
Ray
You are not a Leper Ray/JohnPitts. It seems that as we get older we all need a little help in that department (and perhaps some other departments).

THE single GREATEST and most beneficial piece of safety I always carry with me is my Bifocal Eyres safety glasses

http://www.safetyoptics.com/showProd...IFYING+READERS

I too suffer the need for reading glasses (although I have perfect long vision) to be able to read the GPS, and if I am to be honest, even to correctly read the gauges sometimes.
I also always ride with a dark tint lens on my helmet which is obviously not conducive to night riding on the rare occasion I get caught out after dark on a long ride.

These bifocal safety glasses are the dogs bollocks as they enable perfect vision of gauges and GPS without having to drop your head from the straight ahead view.
Quite often I will even wear them on a super hot day to be able to leave the visor up and flow fresh air without the risk of a stray bug finding a new home in the eye socket.
Also good when you pull up to a roadside cafe to order your double soy latte mocha capachino...

Eyres Safety specs are an Australian company but I am sure they ship (or even have distributors) worldwide. You will probably also find there are other manufacturers around the globe that offer a similar product.

Do consider folks.... Seriously - These things are a godsend.

Greg
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #6757
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,987
Ray, I was going through the same vision issues. I ended up finding an eye doc who all the competitive pistol and skeet shooters use. She was used to setting up bifocals to have distinct focal ranges (target and gunsight). She had me bring in my bike with GPS mounted where I wanted it and designed a prescription to match my placement of GPS and allowed god down the road vision.

I also on her advice updated to a GPS with a better screen.

Quote:
Greg,
The problem I have with this is as I am getting older, my eyes are going long sighted and it appears a bit blurred at this distance. I already have mine above the clutch master cylinder and I have difficulty focusing on it, especially when the light is not good. I spend a lot of time figuring out what it actually reads and that is dangerous.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #6758
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
The stock shield with the Motorradgarage adjustable bracket works a treat. Not completely stock, but pretty hard to tell unless you look closely.
This is how I am planning to go. Now, all I need is the SuperT to mount it on!
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #6759
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
+1

but you also have to understand how frustrating the wait must be for our Yank brothers..........
Hey I'm one of those Yank brothers, and I'm tired of the extraneous discussion about prices too. Man if anyone doesn't know what the bike will cost them from what the pay the dealer, their state tax, title, tag, DOC fee or extended YES etc. then they probably shouldn't be buying any big purchase. I'm even adding the cost of flying to Alabama, fuel to ride home and maybe even a motel room. Come on peeps, let's get back to the motorcycle or get out and ride whatever bike you have now (oops not the northern yanks just yet).

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #6760
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
You are not a Leper Ray/JohnPitts. It seems that as we get older we all need a little help in that department (and perhaps some other departments).

THE single GREATEST and most beneficial piece of safety I always carry with me is my Bifocal Eyres safety glasses

http://www.safetyoptics.com/showProd...IFYING+READERS

I too suffer the need for reading glasses (although I have perfect long vision) to be able to read the GPS, and if I am to be honest, even to correctly read the gauges sometimes.
I also always ride with a dark tint lens on my helmet which is obviously not conducive to night riding on the rare occasion I get caught out after dark on a long ride.

These bifocal safety glasses are the dogs bollocks as they enable perfect vision of gauges and GPS without having to drop your head from the straight ahead view.
Quite often I will even wear them on a super hot day to be able to leave the visor up and flow fresh air without the risk of a stray bug finding a new home in the eye socket.
Also good when you pull up to a roadside cafe to order your double soy latte mocha capachino...

Eyres Safety specs are an Australian company but I am sure they ship (or even have distributors) worldwide. You will probably also find there are other manufacturers around the globe that offer a similar product.

Do consider folks.... Seriously - These things are a godsend.

Greg
So? What is it like to be 40? they asked me a few years back when I arrived at the big four zero.
Hhhmm, No change realy I feel just the same I lied, but when I was honest with myself a realized that 2 things did change dramaticly and they both accured to me in the toilet.
the 1st was that leaning on the wall with one hand on that first wee visit when I first wake up. thinking to myself that this is taking far to long.!! so long in fact that I have to change arms.
the 2nd is sitting on the toilet, reading the paper and realizing that the floor is as far as the paper can go but I am still out of focus .
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #6761
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Bifocal Ridng Glasses

Thanks Wasp. Been using those glasses about 3 years now.

"Dogs Bollocks".... didn't realize that was an Aussie term too.

I never understood "Dogs Bollocks" until I had a Brit friend explain it to me. I understood Bollocks, but Dogs Bollocks.....

Once explanied it became quie clear.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #6762
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
You are not a Leper .......
Thats a relief.

Off topic, I did visit a live leper colony in 1976 in the Amazon. It was an awesome and extremely humbling experience. Such lovely people in such dire circumstances. It was the same one that Che Guervara worked in before he became a revolutionary.

As for the glasses, I have a similar pair, only more like sunglasses and tinted. I agree, they work fine, I just don't like wearing them. I am an old fart remember.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #6763
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,176
I just read where someone at a bike show had the rep demonstrate how to do diagnostics from the dash. I have not heard this before? What can you check, does anyone know?

TPS? Throttle bodies sync? Fire the spark plug?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #6764
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
S10 with front high fender

Does anyone have an S10 with high front fender?? I wonder how would be...
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #6765
zeth609
Super Tenere *****

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I just read where someone at a bike show had the rep demonstrate how to do diagnostics from the dash. I have not heard this before? What can you check, does anyone know?

TPS? Throttle bodies sync? Fire the spark plug?
They showed me this when I got my bike too, don't remember what I could check, though I could ask how to get into this mode and share. I recall they explained that the bike checked lots of stuff and you could see how it was checked, like the "idle" setup for the engine, I remember it was set at 14 (14 of 100) don't remember much else though.

I ll check :)

07 Suzuki GS500 (sold)
08 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom (sold)
10 Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z (currently)
zeth609 is offline   Reply With Quote