Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #6781
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
I only disconnected the battery Ray.
Get a good earth directly on the parts you are welding and all should be ok.
at least it was in my case when I fabricated the proto exhaust.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, I knew you would know the answer. I am just glad I am not the ginea pig . On top of that it is good stuff to know if something needs welding in the bush.

The ECU's are not easy to get at and it saves me a lot of work.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #6782
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
How about just take the bars off and work on them off the bike. About 6 bolts does it.
I have had them off already and in one piece. The only thing is, I need to tack weld the bits on whilst on the bike so I get about 50-55mm clearance from the side panels to allow removal. Too little and the panels will not come off, too much and it will look a bit silly.
I actually intend to weld the loop to the side pieces too.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #6783
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I have had them off already and in one piece. The only thing is, I need to tack weld the bits on whilst on the bike so I get about 50-55mm clearance from the side panels to allow removal. Too little and the panels will not come off, too much and it will look a bit silly.
I actually intend to weld the loop to the side pieces too.
That makes sense.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #6784
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Yeah I had to forget the leg out habit... peer pressure
But it sure saved my rump on the motocross 80's and 125's.
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #6785
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth609 View Post
They showed me this when I got my bike too, don't remember what I could check, though I could ask how to get into this mode and share. I recall they explained that the bike checked lots of stuff and you could see how it was checked, like the "idle" setup for the engine, I remember it was set at 14 (14 of 100) don't remember much else though.

I ll check :)
If its like the TDM900, the in dash diagnostics can set the idle mixture on each cylinder separately, not the throttle synch though. You might find instructions on Carpe TDM somewhere, I used to know how, cant remember for the moment.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #6786
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 840
Again if its the same as the TDM900 this is the procedure:
Go your hardest.
Al

Procedure
To activate modes "CO" and "DIAG":
Press together the "SELECT" and "RESET" keys, and turn the ignition switch on "ON".
(NOTE: It takes ~eight seconds after turning on the ignition switch - until "DIAG" appears on the dash display.)
In order to get to the "CO" mode: (so you can adjust fuel delivery)
Push "SELECT" in order to toggle the display between the "DIAG" mode to the "CO" mode, and vice versa.
Push together the "SELECT" and "RESET" keys for two seconds and the word "C1" should appear on the display.
(On the 900, C1 means the left side cylinder 1)
In order to select the cylinder to tune:
Press "SELECT" or "RESET" in order to select the cylinder (C1 or C2). Toggle between each to select the cylinder required.
When the required cylinder number is showing on the display ("C1" or "C2") -
Press together the "SELECT" and "RESET" keys for two seconds and the current value for the selected cylinder will be displayed (eg. "9").
Write down current values for each cylinder so you know where you started !!
To change the volume of carbon monoxide in the exhaust gas: (translate: to adjust fuel for best running and best power....)
On the display is shown a figure between -128 and 128 where -128 is very lean and 128 is very rich.
Press "RESET" button in order to lower the numerical value and decrease the amount of fuel delivered to LEAN the mixture.
Press "SELECT" in order to increase the numeric value and increase the amount of fuel delivererd / RICHEN the mixture.
Press together the "SELECT' and " RESET" keys in order to return to the selected cylinder number ("C1" or "C2"),
and go back to 3 to tune the other cylinder.
To SAVE the settings, turn "OFF" the ignition switch.
Now - all that being said.... Additional Key points -
When you are pushing buttons and increasing or decreasing the C1 or C2 numbers, you can hear the engine change exhaust note, showing that he fuel delivery is changing as your are changing the number values.
That's called "REALTIME" fuel changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
If its like the TDM900, the in dash diagnostics can set the idle mixture on each cylinder separately, not the throttle synch though. You might find instructions on Carpe TDM somewhere, I used to know how, cant remember for the moment.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #6787
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Again if its the same as the TDM900 this is the procedure:
Go your hardest.
Al

Al, did you get your new (replacement) S10 yet?

Trevor
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #6788
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Question Really?

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post

He was doing it on a paved road. And he was not drifting. I don't really see the benefit of doing what he was doing. If he were to lowside that 600 lb. bike, that leg would do nothing other than break.

Are you speaking from experience, or is it simply conjecture?

And you've never dabbed a foot on a big street bike?

Just curious...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #6789
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca View Post
Pyramid Plastics in the UK now have a fender (mudguard) extender on their site for order. A much needed accessory, I'd say, 'cos of the amount of crap thrown up onto the pipe headers and other inaccessible bits thereabouts.

I've ordered, but so far not seen one, so can't speak to the quality yet.
We have this in stock and ready to ship : http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5748/821/

And a whole bunch of more gear the the S10: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/821/
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #6790
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Are you speaking from experience, or is it simply conjecture?

And you've never dabbed a foot on a big street bike?

Just curious...

Dallara

~
Dallara,

Usually find myself pretty much in agreement with you, but not this time. Racing supermoto has next to nothing to do with safe operation of a big adventure bike on the street. If you have plans to drift the S10 around corners with any frequency I can almost guarantee a painful conclusion to that activity within a fairly short space of time. Leg out or not...

Here's just one of the many things that can go wrong...

This guy sliding the S10 for Cycle World is obviously a pretty good rider, probably knows the road, and is riding somebody elses bike! Yes he has his foot out, but at normal speeds would not be necessary.

Not saying you should NEVER need to hang a leg out, just that it should be reserved for "special occasions". I believe that if you make a habit of footing anytime the situation gets a little dicey, it's just a substitute for developing better riding skills, it's kind of dumbing them down. As well as adding to the risk of hurting ankles, legs and knees.

Trevor
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #6791
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Cool2 Perspective...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Dallara,

Usually find myself pretty much in agreement with you, but not this time. Racing supermoto has next to nothing to do with safe operation of a big adventure bike on the street. If you have plans to drift the S10 around corners with any frequency I can almost guarantee a painful conclusion to that activity within a fairly short space of time. Leg out or not...

Here's just one of the many things that can go wrong...

This guy sliding the S10 for Cycle World is obviously a pretty good rider, probably knows the road, and is riding somebody elses bike! Yes he has his foot out, but at normal speeds would not be necessary.

Not saying you should NEVER need to hang a leg out, just that it should be reserved for "special occasions". I believe that if you make a habit of footing anytime the situation gets a little dicey, it's just a substitute for developing better riding skills, it's kind of dumbing them down. As well as adding to the risk of hurting ankles, legs and knees.

Trevor

Just to set the record straight...

I never I advocated sticking a foot out as a habit on big street bikes, nor did I ever say I advocated drifting an S-10 like an AMA flat tracker or a 450 Supermotard... However, I thought Knight's statement:

Quote:
"That guy putting his leg out like that during a turn is a very bad habbit. He is going to break his ankle one day."
Was rather way over the top, and then he followed it with:

Quote:
"He was doing it on a paved road. And he was not drifting. I don't really see the benefit of doing what he was doing. If he were to lowside that 600 lb. bike, that leg would do nothing other than break."
Which was even more hyperbole, so I asked if he was speaking from experience or merely offering up somewhat unfounded conjecture.

Maybe it's my background. I grew up racing flat tracking, motocross, hare scrambles, and enduros, and later road raced for a number of years... And then there's the decades of riding street bikes. All along the way I have found many an instance were the appropriate (and often instinctive) quick dab of a foot while riding street bikes has saved me from crashing. Usually it's been because of oil, sand, gravel, or some broken pavement suddenly and unexpectedly appearing in my path and causing a tire to slip, but that doesn't mean having a foot ready to be an outrigger is a bad idea, much less a "bad habbit (sic)" or an automatic path to a broken ankle, and even less any sort of indicator of poor riding skills.

In point of fact, I've broken a bone in my ankle, and it was firmly on the footpeg at the time.

As for a discussion regarding our riding skill resumes perhaps that would be better done via PM rather than veiled innuendo...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 11:58 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #6792
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
break a leg....

jeez, you Yanks are gonna be impossible to handle by the time you get your S10's.... ;-)

check this guy do a Goldwing wheelie and save his arse by using his legs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPjNYY5GvM

I normally don't put a foot down, as that hampers my body movement on the bike, but in very dicy situations I do and it has saved me from a tumble a couple of times and I have yet to break a leg/foot
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #6793
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
jeez, you Yanks are gonna be impossible to handle by the time you get your S10's.... ;-)

check this guy do a Goldwing wheelie and save his arse by using his legs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPjNYY5GvM

I normally don't put a foot down, as that hampers my body movement on the bike, but in very dicy situations I do and it has saved me from a tumble a couple of times and I have yet to break a leg/foot

Ha ha, I love these arguments

Let me put it this way and I am no expert but have ridden dirt bikes and big bikes

I think it's safe to put you foot/leg out most of the time but like everything there's always exceptions

I wasn't taking a corner and putting my leg out but I was slowly going around a parking lot and just had my legs hanging off to the sides when one of my F*&king boots caught on something on the pavement and went back and my boot/leg/foot was caught by the crash bar just in front of my pannier (I have an 05 Kawasaki Concours) and kind of was forced into the ground until the boot finally had more force from behind then resistance to the ground and slid forward It didn't break anything but hurt the back of my leg like sh*t

So now I'm thinking like on the previous video when his leg just went backwards (speed will make it go back really fast ) if it had been trapped by a crashbar/pannier it could have turned bad

I'm just saying, there's NO CORRECT ANSWER to this issue.....
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #6794
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Forgot to mention
after much agonizing and sleepless nights I went back to my dealer and changed the color of my order to IMPACT BLUE

I like black bikes but come on, it's a Yamaha blue is the color

Now it might take a little longer for me to get my bike it will be worth it though
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #6795
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
There ya go, now, not only do you have the best color, but also the fastest...
japako is offline   Reply With Quote