ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #6796
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,107
I dab, but only when I am gonna fall, reflex that I have not much control over. But I recommend staying on the pegs and I do ride my dirt bike on the pegs.

I was off road slowly picking my way down a ATV trail in my deer woods on a Versys with Givi bags, dirt and ruts light mud. Got caught in a rut and lost the front wheel out from under me I dabbed to catch the bike as it was going over, but still moving forward, the bag trapped my boot and nearly broke my ankle/leg. Twisted it real bad and had to been close to snapping a bone. Very lucky on that one.

The Super Tenere is much heavier and will also have bags of some sort, don't want to go there.
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #6797
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post

I was off road slowly picking my way down a ATV trail in my deer woods on a Versys with Givi bags, dirt and ruts light mud. Got caught in a rut and lost the front wheel out from under me I dabbed to catch the bike as it was going over, but still moving forward, the bag trapped my boot and nearly broke my ankle/leg. Twisted it real bad and had to been close to snapping a bone. Very lucky on that one.

The Super Tenere is much heavier and will also have bags of some sort, don't want to go there.
Thank you for your support
I knew I wasn't the only one to have gotten my boot stuck
The problem is that with the bike rolling your foot/leg will go right under the pannier and then you are SOOL (sh1t out of luck )
__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #6798
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirt_Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 487
I grew up in the dirt sticking my leg out. Riding ATV broke me of the habit. Put your leg out when an ATV tips and the rear wheel could easily run up the back of your leg, rip you off the ATV and run over you. VERY EASILY! It broke me of the habit so well that I stopped sticking my leg out in a dirt power slide on my old CRF450X. Just wasn't necessary any longer.

There are still exceptions. Like leaned over at 55MPH on my Strom, hit some gravel and slammed my leg down as the bike was heading towards the ground. That was all instinct and no thought involved. Somehow nothing bad happened.
__________________
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Blue
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Raven
2012 Yamaha XT250
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #6799
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,405
Laugh Canada Moto Show last weekend...

Canada Motorcycle show this past weekend....



lots more pics here of the demo bike....

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/O...82842351_SxHk8

__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #6800
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
It's recently come to my attention that the stock tool kit lives at the front under the right sidecover... is there room there to put a REAL toolkit? Something say twice the size of the stock one? (I'm assuming the stock one is typical oem japanese kit)

Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post


__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #6801
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill
 
AL-58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Blue Mountains, OZ
Oddometer: 837
Yep, arrived a couple of weeks ago, registered last Friday. Heading to its first rally tomorrow.

Got a good deal on an interstate very low km demonstrator with freshly fitted factory panniers. NSW is the most expensive state to buy a Super Tenere in it seems. Finished with change from the insurance payout from the previous bike.



Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Al, did you get your new (replacement) S10 yet?

Trevor
__________________

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #6802
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Yep, arrived a couple of weeks ago, registered last Friday. Heading to its first rally tomorrow.

Got a good deal on an interstate very low km demonstrator with freshly fitted factory panniers. NSW is the most expensive state to buy a Super Tenere in it seems. Finished with change from the insurance payout from the previous bike.


Al

Good (better) Luck this time round!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #6803
Animo
Beastly n00b
 
Animo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Playa del Carmen
Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
I grew up in the dirt sticking my leg out. Riding ATV broke me of the habit. Put your leg out when an ATV tips and the rear wheel could easily run up the back of your leg, rip you off the ATV and run over you. VERY EASILY! It broke me of the habit so well that I stopped sticking my leg out in a dirt power slide on my old CRF450X. Just wasn't necessary any longer.

There are still exceptions. Like leaned over at 55MPH on my Strom, hit some gravel and slammed my leg down as the bike was heading towards the ground. That was all instinct and no thought involved. Somehow nothing bad happened.

Yamaha ended up installing doors on the Mules due to people breaking their legs because they were trying to stop the mule from leaning over using their foot. It’s amazing what natural reaction can do.

BTW, that French guy? It is an old riding style that I remember growing up in Italy, I haven’t seen that in years.
__________________
Life is good, even in adversity!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #6804
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
It's recently come to my attention that the stock tool kit lives at the front under the right sidecover... is there room there to put a REAL toolkit? Something say twice the size of the stock one? (I'm assuming the stock one is typical oem japanese kit)

Trevor


another option is a tool tube http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

You probably know about those already, but just in case you don't.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #6805
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Canada Motorcycle show this past weekend....

lots more pics here of the demo bike....

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/O...82842351_SxHk8
Nice pictures. Quite a trip from south La. to Canada!
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #6806
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
another option is a tool tube http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

You probably know about those already, but just in case you don't.
Already have two of those! My thinking was the Yamaha have done a lot of work on mass distribution with this bike - which includes placing the toolkit low, tight and up front. Just trying to stick with that theme where possible.

The tool tubes don't HAVE to hold tools - I'm thinking maybe 1 litre fuel bottle in one, tire repair kit, tire irons, electrical and and other odds and ends in the other. We'll see how it works out...!

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com

dcstrom screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 07:32 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #6807
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,335
Yeah, let's talk about that space under the R/S cover--is there room to put a kit in there twice the size? I'm not being sarcastic--I really want to know and didn't want the question to fade away.

I'm obsessing over exploiting that space and any other...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #6808
McBoab
Fast side of farty
 
McBoab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: NE England
Oddometer: 270
Re RHS tool kit area... probably could fit something bigger but I've moved mine under the seat as its easier to get to. The oem toolkit area does seem to get sprayed by front wheel as mine had grit in there so might me worth making sure anything left there is water tight/proof.

McBoab screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 07:53 AM Reason: fuckwit spelcheka
McBoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #6809
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Talking Blown up...

~


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post

Yeah, let's talk about that space under the R/S cover--is there room to put a kit in there twice the size? I'm not being sarcastic--I really want to know and didn't want the question to fade away.

I'm obsessing over exploiting that space and any other...


HighTechCoonass was kind enough to provide us with the perfect picture showing the size of where the tool kit goes and how large the mounting spot is. Just click on this link to see his picture at full resolution, and if you look closely you can see tool kit and its rubber mounting strap. It's just forward of the battery, right under some wiring harness loops...

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/Other/Canada-2011/IMG0848/1182842351_SxHk8-O.jpg

Looks to me like a pretty standard-sized Japanese bike tool kit, and the space is a bit bigger, but not much. YMMV.

Hope this helps, and hope HighTechCoonass doesn't mind me re-linking to his pics.

Dallara


~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 10:36 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #6810
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: The pink lake less circled
Oddometer: 1,280
Lightning quick "yoko geri keage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Dallara,

Usually find myself pretty much in agreement with you, but not this time. Racing supermoto has next to nothing to do with safe operation of a big adventure bike on the street. If you have plans to drift the S10 around corners with any frequency I can almost guarantee a painful conclusion to that activity within a fairly short space of time. Leg out or not...

Here's just one of the many things that can go wrong...



This guy sliding the S10 for Cycle World is obviously a pretty good rider, probably knows the road, and is riding somebody elses bike! Yes he has his foot out, but at normal speeds would not be necessary.

Not saying you should NEVER need to hang a leg out, just that it should be reserved for "special occasions". I believe that if you make a habit of footing anytime the situation gets a little dicey, it's just a substitute for developing better riding skills, it's kind of dumbing them down. As well as adding to the risk of hurting ankles, legs and knees.



Trevor

From my karate days I had the fastest left kick the other side of the Atlantic (think Benny the Jet) and it saved my bacon many times.
However the day I tried to do it on pavement, after a big rock yanked the bike upwards, with my passenger getting off at speed, I instinctively kicked the ground to keep from going down. I didn't go down, but I lost my left shoe, my sock and all the skin of the ball of my foot from a 100 yards rodeo with a wildly bucking bike, dragging my unfortunate passenger with me!

I never dragged foot however, only on occasions like those did I throw a "yoko geri" to solve the situation.
I agree that dragging a foot everywhere might bring in its own retinue of pain and sorrow.

My 0.02$
__________________
He, whose nuts skim the ground while airborne, won't crash very far!


Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875

DakarBlues screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 08:07 AM
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014