Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #6886
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
If that's the case then maybe Yamaha could have done a bit more vibration damping in the handlbar configuration. I notice no vibration issues elsewhere, including the footpegs and the seat, and the bike otherwise rides at speed as smooth as you would expect a big donk bike like this to be.

Surely the handlebars don't have to be part of the load-bearing system?
This is where anyone can do a bit of work. I added Barkbusters to the DL1K and because of
1) The extra brace running in front of the levers and
2) Less counter weight on the end.

The vibrations moved around a bit and made the 3-4K region a bit annoying. Now I get buzzy fingers after long rides if I don't stay relaxed. It was definitely better pre-Barkbusters. But the 'busters have other advantages.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #6887
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
That's because it's a learner bike..
I could see that coming . Still, sometimes I manage to mess up my gear counting and I'd rather just quickly glance at a reading rather than click all the way up or down and back to know for sure. Maybe I should put L plates on when this happens.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #6888
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
I have no vibs

I have no issues of that kind that I can think of.
The bike did feel a bit rough at 3500 rpm but it has gotten much better or I got used to it over time and do not notice it.
I have riden about 13000 Km on the bike with the original tiers and with the Karoos and have heated grips and can't recall any strong vibs on the handle bar or the bike in general for that matter.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #6889
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
I could see that coming . Still, sometimes I manage to mess up my gear counting and I'd rather just quickly glance at a reading rather than click all the way up or down and back to know for sure. Maybe I should put L plates on when this happens.
i have never understood the need for gear indicator....lugging? change down....feel or sound a bit revvy....change up.
may be its me.....
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #6890
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Mark me down as one of those who do not see the need for a gear indicator. Even if you can't feel or hear where you are, you have a tachometer.

But, if you really want one, all you have to do is install this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...Q5fAccessories
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #6891
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
i have never understood the need for gear indicator....lugging? change down....feel or sound a bit revvy....change up.
may be its me.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
Mark me down as one of those who do not see the need for a gear indicator. Even if you can't feel or hear where you are, you have a tachometer. ............
I agree with both points of view. It's just that sometimes, especially when into a head wind, I find myself cruising in 5th gear. Yes the tacho is a good indicator but it is not as obvious as a number. I did not like them until I had a GSA and got used to it. Maybe I'm just a lazy old git.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #6892
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I agree with both points of view. It's just that sometimes, especially when into a head wind, I find myself cruising in 5th gear. Yes the tacho is a good indicator but it is not as obvious as a number. I did not like them until I had a GSA and got used to it. Maybe I'm just a lazy old git.
i often change up or try to just to check i am in top.....it doesnt matter if i am.Of course it may be that i have NEVER had a bike WITH a gear indicator.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #6893
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
As I said only sometimes, usually if I have been coasting with the clutch in for a bit and forget what gear I was in before I coasted. I know how fast I am going and what gear I should be in, but it would be handy to know what actual gear I am in sometimes. The bike already knows what gear it is in because the ECU plays its gear power restriction game. The least it could do is display the dang thing.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #6894
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
i often change up or try to just to check i am in top.....it doesnt matter if i am.Of course it may be that i have NEVER had a bike WITH a gear indicator.
In all honesty, I wish I had never had one too. The GSA was a waste of money compared to the S10
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #6895
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
If that's the case then maybe Yamaha could have done a bit more vibration damping in the handlbar configuration. I notice no vibration issues elsewhere, including the footpegs and the seat, and the bike otherwise rides at speed as smooth as you would expect a big donk bike like this to be.

Surely the handlbars don't have to be part of the load-bearing system?
I've bumped into this on other bikes before - it sounds like it's bar - or at least front-end related.

Best place to start is to loosen the handlebar mounts, {adjust to a position of your liking}, then tighten them to spec in a crisscross fashion with a properly calibrated torque wrench. Then do the same with the steering head bolt, the fork upper and lower bolts, etc... don't just start torquing things down - loosen first. While there, check to make sure that cables are not misrouted or hanging up as you turn the bars. Have the front tire rebalanced & spokes properly tightened. Check the runout on the front axle while the tire is off the bike.

You'll probably find that it's not a matter of dampning - but that a fastener or series of fasteners have been over or under tightened, usually at the dealer level. Could be a tire issue as well.

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #6896
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Patient: " doctor , I think I have Amnesia!"
Doctor: "Sir, how long have you been suffering from this?"
Patient: " From what?"
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #6897
Steve in ATL
How ya like me now?

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Surely the handlbars don't have to be part of the load-bearing system?
Please re-read your statement that I was responding to. It had nothing to do with the handlebars, which, as you ask, aren't part of the load-bearing system.

And don't call me Shirley.

"The point of the journey is not to arrive - Anything can Happen!"
Steve in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #6898
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Great thread! Lots of information and perspective.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #6899
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 606
vibes and gear indicator

I specifically checked my S10 today and could not pick up any vibrations that I found in the least annoying - If I did have vibrations, I would not just live with them, I would go and test ride other S10's from my dealer and if they had less vibrations, I would insist that mine were reduced.

I have ordered a gear indicator and will be installing soon - I mainly want it to see if I'm in 6th or need to change up, as I don't like doing the speed/rpm calculation every time or changing up when I'm in 6th already, especially when I've got a pillion.

That's just me, want things simple and convenient
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #6900
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Laugh I have to laugh...

~

Folks thinking a 1200cc parallel twin shouldn't vibrate... any... at all. Period.

Others thinking a bike is not completely equipped unless it has gear indicator...

Sorry, but I have to laugh. Seems to me if you want glass-smooth you'd be buying a four- or six-cylinder touring bike, and most of those come with gear indicators - though I still don't why anyone would want, or need, a gear indicator. Maybe I've just been riding too long, but folks, you have no idea what "vibration" is until you've ridden some 1960's and '70's British parallel twins, or any American V-twins... Lots of Italian mounts, too. And none of 'em had gear indicators that I can remember, either. And there were lots of Jap twins that buzzed like paint shakers, too.

To each his own, but as already been pointed out, seems to me perhaps a big twin dual-sport might not be the right choice of motorcycle if you are expecting glass smoothness. And the only manufacturer I can think of right now that is using any sort of rubber engine mounts is Harley-Davidson, and that's only on certain model lines. The rest use solid mounted, counterbalanced engines.

Of course, I don't have my Super Tenere just yet, but I'm not expecting it to be as smooth as a Gold Wing. I'm expecting it to have a few vibes here and there, just like my XR1200 and my Hypermotard, not to mention my parallel twin, counterbalanced Versys.

At this point I'm with the folks who say maybe you should just relax your grip on the bars a bit... Needless to say, YMMV.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote