Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6916
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Still working on the mounts.....
Dang Ray, that not a crash bar, that there is a fukin roll cage . You got the start for a great dune buggy .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #6917
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Anyway, here's Wallace, my vulnerable Tenere. Named after William Wallace of Scotland and freedom....
I think you mean venerable here; your bike is anything but vulnerable with that roll cage

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #6918
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
Nice protection bars and modifcation.

Just a consideration, not a criticism, but there have been issues with other bikes and beefed up protection bars

Your beefed up factory model I'm assuming uses only the same factory mounts. If so no problem, otherwise while making sure the new mounts are strong enough more importantly make sure that they allow some give. Same if oyu are beefing up the factory mounts.

What a lot of people have forgetten in the past when fiddling with factory mounts or adding mounts is that the bars are meant to protect to a point. I've seen threads with other models having engine damage etc. because of engine mounts, new or original, being beefed up beyond factory tolerances and in the subsequent crash the motor etc. takes on more damage because, if factory, the mount would have let go, once beefed up the engine takes on the damage. Something to consider.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #6919
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
Those bars will take business away from others...have you got them patented.

You've helped confirm I think that the standard Yamaha bars don't provide enough protection for the radiator - which is why I'm interested in an alternative product.
No, closest I got was "painting" them. And the rad was my problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
Dang Ray, that not a crash bar, that there is a fukin roll cage . You got the start for a great dune buggy .

JDP
I never thought about that but I think you may be right.
When I was in the Army, we had landrovers with steel loops built right over the vehicle. When they rolled over, they carried on until the wheels touched down and the vehicle righted itself. Thats the concept I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
I think you mean venerable here; your bike is anything but vulnerable with that roll cage
"Vulnerable" refered to the top piccy without the bars...sorry. Apart from that I cannot spell veneria... vulv... vulna... What you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Nice protection bars and modifcation.

Just a consideration, not a criticism, but there have been issues with other bikes and beefed up protection bars

Your beefed up factory model I'm assuming uses only the same factory mounts. If so no problem, otherwise while making sure the new mounts are strong enough more importantly make sure that they allow some give. Same if oyu are beefing up the factory mounts.

What a lot of people have forgetten in the past when fiddling with factory mounts or adding mounts is that the bars are meant to protect to a point. I've seen threads with other models having engine damage etc. because of engine mounts, new or original, being beefed up beyond factory tolerances and in the subsequent crash the motor etc. takes on more damage because, if factory, the mount would have let go, once beefed up the engine takes on the damage. Something to consider.
I did not add any other mounts, mainly because I did not think it was needed. If (Ha - when) the bike goes over, the main impact will likely be taken by the original lower bar area. By the time my extra bits touch down, the majority of the impact/weigth transfer will be over and it will just serve to save the rad area and as a bonus, the handlebars and our legs too.

One small personal critcism. Now I have finished them, I think they are a bit OTT, but its not the sort of thing that I as a non engineer can have a second/third go at. On the plus side, I think they will do the job.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #6920
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
This turned up in the post

Very happy with the fit, the finnish while generally good is not up to what I've found with Japanese made aftermarket exhaust. No worthwhile ride report yet, been a bit busy.

Name:  Arrow Exhaust.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  136.5 KB
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #6921
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,090
YAMAHA makinmg money again

http://cmgonline.com/content/view/3294/51/
Quote:
Still, the profits must be encouraging for Yamaha, whose 2010 net profit (approximately $215.5M Canadian) was a lot better than its 2009 net loss of approximately $2.54B Canadian (numbers based on today's exchange rate).

The Asian bike-buying boom, especially in Vietnam and Indonesia where Yamaha bikes rule the roost, helped the company see a 12.2 per cent increase in sales;
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #6922
Pombe
Mzee

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ View Post
SuperCruise......I think you might be onto something regarding the motor mounts. I know you have gone to a lot of effort to mount an electronic cruise control but at the end of the day.......the vibration problem is still there. You have just invented a way for coping with its effects on you as the rider. In short, the problem of the vibrations remain and need to be reduced. Yamaha has ample racing expertise in coping with vibrations and minimizing or eliminating these where they impinge on the rider.

We need to be clear about this vibration. We need to keep separate MITIIGATING of ithe negative effects on the rider eg. installing a throttle lock or cruise control so that you can shake out your hand or adopt a lighter or varied grip on the bar.

The other branch of this is a genuine RESOLUTION which would be identifying the source of the vibrations, how they travel, and reducing these so that they are not felt in a negative way period.

YAMAHA shoulld take this problem on and be responsible for it. It would be a real feather in the cap to do the right thing and get to the bottom of it and make it right.
Honestly, I do not think the vibration is that bad unless of course one has some sort of dibilitating condition. I rode a 660 and had a severe headache after the ride. The vibration is nothing like I have experienced before.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #6923
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombe View Post
Honestly, I do not think the vibration is that bad unless of course one has some sort of dibilitating condition. I rode a 660 and had a severe headache after the ride. The vibration is nothing like I have experienced before.
Me neither. it's a motorcycle after all. If you want smooth - buy a Lexus.

This is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yes it is present but I only notice it occasionally.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #6924
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:

There was a lot of buzz (pun intended) about the vibes with the FJR's inline 4, but I don't have any problem with it. If it is cold and have the heated grips on, I might get some hand tingle if I have a death grip on them trying to stay warm, but other than that, nada. I have learned it is better to keep a looser grip anyway to allow the bike to ride better anyway. All in all, this is not a biggie to me (says he without his super tenere still ).

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #6925
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 271
Quote:

I really haven't picked up on any handlebar vibes on mine and my journeys tend to be of the order of 100miles each way (200 round trip) the last one was also below zero wind chill and I had the heated grips and vest on full chat and again no vibe issues (despite me gripping the bars tighter due to cold) . I've had bikes in the past that gave me white finger over less miles (ducati 916). I dont think mine has the best fueling set up as i have an just off idle stumble as I pull away (in S and T modes) which I suspect is poorly balanced throttles as it was reminisent of my 900SL when it ran mikuni CVs with worn needles emulsion tubes (so idle fuelling was a bit off) .
McBoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #6926
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Not sure if this has been posted up, but it's a corker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pviJ2il8#at=13

Rider must be a new species of giant - makes the bike look like a toy!
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #6927
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Lowering the XT1200Z

Other than the factory seat drop, does anyone have any info on lowering?

I need the seat height to be about 31"

Thanks,

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #6928
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNMAN View Post
Other than the factory seat drop, does anyone have any info on lowering?

I need the seat height to be about 31"

Thanks,
MotorradWorks manufacture raising AND LOWERING kits for the S10.
Sold through www.motorradgarage.com.au
http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...oducts_id=1162

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #6929
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 447
How about raising the S10 to give it more ground clearance, or maybe more suspension travel ???
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #6930
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
How about raising the S10 to give it more ground clearance, or maybe more suspension travel ???
Raising links will raise ride height and increase ground clearance but won't affect suspension travel. I have them on a Wee and liked the change, but you do have to comfortable with the increased seat height.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote