Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #6976
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
This is the first thing I change on EVERY bike I purchase. BTW, the P/N's of the BMW grips are:
L 32721458395
R 32721458396

Rod
FYI the bmw ribbed grips are slightly shorter than the oem ones. About 5-10mm short. But I like them and have them on too. I positioned them somewhere in the middle so the shortness is not very obvious.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #6977
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,199
If it is any consolation, my right hand gets numb sometimes on the Duc, and it has like ZERO vibration that I can feel. Different gloves helps some, riding conditions tho usually dictate.

I hold the throttle with my left hand for a short and stretch my right thumb and fingers. The thumb area is what goes numb.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #6978
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ View Post
SuperCruise is not the only one. In my case my right hand goes numb after 60-80 kms at those highway speeds he mentions beginning at 120 kph indicated. I grip the bar very lightly and use peg weight and other tricks of the trade.

I have had this buzzing since the bike was new and now have 3,700 kms. Early on I thought this might have been due to a new tight motor but it has not gotten better. I have had lots of bikes, yes including all those Brit twins in the 60's and 70's included but none have done this such that my hand goes numb. Maybe was just lucky in the past. BTW I have stock non-heated grips to which I have added Grip Puppies but no significant improvement.

This kind of vibration can come from:

1. Accessories not installed correctly such that they transmit vibration which gets picked up in the bars.

2. Bolts not set to proper torque, especially in the motor mounts.

3. Tires or rims not within specifications (run-out, roundness) and/ or not alligned or balanced properly.

4. The motor itself.

The first 3 are most easily addressed causes. My dealer wants to help and has just done these first three steps. I am about to see if there is any change and will let you know.

Vibration affects different people differently. For me having a hand go numb no matter how lightly one grips the bar or how often or creatively one shifts the hand position on the bar is not a minor problem if it leads to a hand that can not grip and brake effectively in the moment. As you know the front brake triggers the real braking power in this bike. The brake pedal does very little.

I will keep you posted of what gets tried and what the result is. As always, I appreciate positive constructive comment, and particularly from those who own this bike and have spent some time with it.

Don't get me wrong. This is the best bike yet. It is just this one aspect that needs a fix. Cheers!

Check your throttle body sync. My R1200RT used to put my pinkie finger to sleep after 20 minutes, even after it's first service, which was supposed to include a valve adjust and TB sync. But after I started doing my own servicing and doing the TBs myself, I never had a problem with fingers going to sleep after that. I could also feel when the sync was going out. That was on a brand new bike as well so don't just assume that the TBs are sync'd properly.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #6979
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
If it is any consolation, my right hand gets numb sometimes on the Duc, and it has like ZERO vibration that I can feel.

You see this is really funny and just an example of how different people feel different things on bikes.

I test rode a multistrada. At lower speeds that thing vibrated like an unbalanced washing machine on steroids. Each stroke of the engine was like a giant hammer pushing the bike forward. It wasn't something specific to the hands but to my whole body all the way down to the pegs. The rear view mirrors were also completely unusable due to this vibration.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #6980
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 216
Handlebar Vibrations XT1200Z What To Do?

Helo everyone!
GrahamD.....thanks for the synthesis.....I agree that is what we are dealing with and what must change. If anyone uses sand should put it in the over for 30 minutes to ensure it is absolutely dry. An accelerator and data logger? Not here in S. Mexico. BTW, I am little short of ready cash or, of course, I would buy you an S10 so you could address this issue. ;-D

SuperCruise....it is not in your head as Bundu says. The problem you and I have is an exception for these bikes. You may want to try Wasp's test without the weights and handguards (see thread above) and report. Check to see if the bothersome vibrations are less, same, or more at what cruising speeds and what revolutions especially in 5th and 6th gears for highway speeds and report what you find.

dcstrom.....will try Wasp's test as well in T and S modes. SuperCruise founnd it didn't matter.

Wasp......pulled off the weights and handguards. Left the screw in the bar ends so I would have some bare metal to feel the vibration at the end of the bar (cause I have Grip Puppies on). Got up early this morning to do the test on my favourite isolated road. Long story short......the boys-in-blue with radar pulleld me over and after a very long discussion let me go. Didn't want to push my powers of persuasion on a second stopping. They were everywhere today. So......bear with me. Will try again tomorrow and get back. Will PM you when I have the results of careful study. Thanks for standing by Greg.

All of your comments much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #6981
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
You see this is really funny and just an example of how different people feel different things on bikes.

I test rode a multistrada. At lower speeds that thing vibrated like an unbalanced washing machine on steroids. It wasn't something specific to the hands but to my whole body all the way down to the pegs. The rear view mirrors were also completely unusable due to this vibration.
The mirrors are a blur, if I want to see way back, have to steady one with my hand. So, yeah guess it does vibrate (but mostly below 4k rpm), not the buzz like in the Versys tho. The Tiger 1050 was of course silk smooth and great mirrors.

Anyways, I can't wait to find out how the S10 is going to be. I do not remember any vibration on the short 15 minute demo.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #6982
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
The Tiger 1050 was of course silk smooth and great mirrors.

yes the Tiger 1050 is extremely smooth. That motor is beautiful and probably the best part of the bike.

I'm looking to pick up a speed triple at some point
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #6983
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
yes the Tiger 1050 is extremely smooth. That motor is beautiful and probably the best part of the bike.
+1! I had a 955i Daytona and loved the motor. Triumph's triples rock!

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #6984
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Finally got sick of my GPS power adaptor jiggling its way out of the DC socket every 30 mins over the course of a ride so changed it over for one of the heftier Jaycar units that have served me well on other bikes.

The wires on the Yamaha one, which run direct from the fuse box, are nearly as thick as those of the Jaycar unit which can handle 10A easily so I bumped the DC socket fuse up to 10A while I was there.

Works good and finally my GPS power adaptor will keep in place in all but the bumpiest of conditions.

And yes, I did wrap the exposed wires in pics 1 and 2 with insulation tape.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 10:51 PM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #6985
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Pretty fun ride today….
The 2012

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #6986
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Did a throttle sync today and, apart from having to prop the fuel tank up to get to the required bits, it was pretty easy. No need to put the bike into any service mode, just connect up the vacuum gauges (T-connector required on the left one), bring it up to temp at idle and measure away and tweak air bypass screws as required.

The following pictures show how to connect up the vacuum hoses to the throttle body. Note that in the first picture (left side) I have pulled out the T-connector so you can see it but it otherwise sides down beside the radiator hose and there are no kinks in any of the hoses.

My bike only has 5000 kms on the clock, so I was only really checking throttle sync as one of the potential culprits for handlebar vibration. Turns out it was just in spec (1cmHg differential max) but I tweaked it anyway to get the gauges as close to even as possible. I had to turn the right air bypass screw about 1/8 turn CCW, which I then dabbed with loctite. Here are the before and after readings, noting that is hard to get a representative photo because they pulse at a different phase.

I haven't ridden it yet, but it seemed similarly smooth to rev as before so I'm not expecting to see much difference on the vibration issue. I'll report back if it has magically fixed it!

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 11:17 PM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #6987
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach View Post
Pretty fun ride today….
The 2012

That pic does look kinda mean and moody...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #6988
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach View Post
Pretty fun ride today….
The 2012

this smoking hot pic will my desktop background for the next two months... thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #6989
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
this smoking hot pic will my desktop background for the next two months... thanks
Here's a better one

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #6990
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer