Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #7066
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The compression ratio of the S10 is 11:1. The compression ratio of the 800GS is 12:1. The higher the compression ratio the most sensitive the bike is to octane rating, meaning it demands higher octane gasoline. And on top of that, the 800GS does not have a knock sensor (as far as I know).
There's a long thread here on one of the F800 forums
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...-octane-rating..

Interesting discussion in general about fuel octane ratings, but I was checking to see if the 800GS has an anti-knock sensor. A bit of confusion about that, but the consensus is that it DOES NOT. If the S10 has one, chalk up another advantage compared to the 800GS (not sure about the 1200GS?).

BUT - can anyone confirm that the S10 DOES have an anti-knock sensor? Googling turns up nothing...

Trevor
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #7067
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I notice he didn't take the Tiger out of the "back yard".

Why would you want to kiss Homer Simpson anyway?

Looking forward to riding both for a day

Cheers
Graham
Maybe he should have taken it out of the yard.
Perhaps it would not have struggled on the washboard and sand like the Yamaha appears to be.

BTW, they have also tested the R1200GS. He obviously is a bike whore. And I'm envious of that.

Overall, great new bikes are just around the corner!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #7068
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post

I went to order the side wind deflectors and they wanted $350us! Wtf? They are two pieces of clear plastic than I can buy for $100us in Europe. I want to try the side wind deflectors and go back to the original windscreen and see how that works, but for $350us I will take the wind instead.

Dealers in the US are selling the side wind deflectors for only about 60 or 70 dollars. Or you can order them from yamabits in the UK for 70 pounds. the prices for the accessories really seem to vary a lot by location, but with some research it is not hard to find someone with the best price to ship to you
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7069
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
BUT - can anyone confirm that the S10 DOES have an anti-knock sensor? Googling turns up nothing...

Trevor
Trevor,

I THINK I recall reading that is does have a knock sensor and IF I remember correctly, it was one of the articles about the ride with the bikes that were sent to Africa. My ST1300 (2005) has one and I would be a little surprised if the S10 doesn't.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #7070
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The compression ratio of the S10 is 11:1. The compression ratio of the 800GS is 12:1. The higher the compression ratio the most sensitive the bike is to octane rating, meaning it demands higher octane gasoline.
There are many other factors other than compression ratio (CR) the determine how much octane an engine needs. For example, 9:1 CR Harleys require 92+ while first gen R6's with 12.5:1 CR require only 87. Bigger bores, air-cooling, carbs (vs. FI), higher ambient temps, heavy loads, low RPMs, and many other factors raise octane requirements (in addition to higher CR).

Quote:
And on top of that, the 800GS does not have a knock sensor (as far as I know).
This surprises me as the R12's do, but I found other people saying it doesn't so sounds like you're right. If so, then that would potentially explain how someone could damage a F800 engine with low-octane gas and why this experience wouldn't necessarily be applicable to a S10 (assuming it has knock sensors). You would have to be pretty insensitive, I would think, to ignore engine knock so bad it would harm an engine in the short term. As you say, there could be other factors involved besides octane when refuelling in far-flung locations with questionable fuel quality control. For example, significant amounts of diesel in a petro engine are really bad for its health.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #7071
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Not that I would compare an f800 to the xt1,200z but....... The r1,200gs does have the anti-knock sensor and freely advertise it on their specs for the bike. The xt1,200z on the other hand does not have one, or you would find that info freely online.

It is not a big deal really. Does the Supa12 have higher octane requirements than I like? Yes. Do I feel that my engine will implode because of it? No. Just add additional octane if needed and all will be fine.

As much as I was totally on Betitolara's side over the two F800'ds imploding I also realize that it was a question of bad gas and riding the tank out before doing anything about it. They most likely purchased gas from the side of the lonely road, filled up both bikes and the bikes started sputtering and knocking hard. They kept riding instead of stopping as soon as the hard knock started. It could have been a case of really bad, tainted fuel from someone's back yard. I think that had they stopped immediately, turned off their engines, drained the tanks and refilled both bikes would have been in much better shape.

When I moved back to the Cayman Islands after living in Mexico for a couple of years I pulled up to the gas station to fill up my Jeep. Not think straight I went to the pump and took the green handle pump, which in Mexico is 87oct and filled up.

In Cayman the green handle is diesel, in Mexico the black handle is diesel. About one mile past the gas station my engine started sputtering and knocking hard, so I immediately turned off the car thinking I just filled up with bad gas.

I drove back to the gas station in another car to tell them they sold me watered down gasoline and we all finally figured out that I filled up with diesel. They were so nice that two station attendants came with me to my Jeep, they helped me drop the tank, drained it and helped me put it back on and refilled it with fuel.

Long story short, I'm still driving my jeep years later without any engine problems. Had I kept driving, thinking "What’s that strange noise?" I bet you my engine would have fried.

I think there is a big difference between riding with a couple of points less octane and riding out a full tank with tainted fuel.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #7072
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye56 View Post
Trevor,

I THINK I recall reading that is does have a knock sensor and IF I remember correctly, it was one of the articles about the ride with the bikes that were sent to Africa. My ST1300 (2005) has one and I would be a little surprised if the S10 doesn't.
I just read thru the XT1200Z service manual and don't see any indication that it has a knock sensor. I had thought it would also, as you say, our ST1300's do, so they will run fine on regular even though premium is recommended.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #7073
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
For reasons that I cannot understand, Yamaha decided that this bike did not need a knock sensor... Correct - There is NO knock sensor on the Super Tenere in it's current form.
I say that because I believe Yamaha will see the error of it's ways and have to re-engineer this component into the bike in future models.
If there was ever a bike that was over advanced in the 3000 > 3600rpm rev range this is it.
I would say this state of tune is for the benefit of emissions and noise but it is something that I believe Yamaha will have to solve in the near future buy installing a sensor that will communicate with the other devices (air temp + O2 sensors + ECU) to alter ignition mapping.
The moment a third party develops a remapping device for this bike I will be there like a rat up a drain pipe.

Please,,, someone smarter than me... Develop a magic ignition mapping control adapter and ask me to test it for you

I LOVE this bike now, but I know how much more potential it has up it's sleeve.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #7074
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
I just spent a few minutes with the service manual, parts manual, and owner's manual and I'd agree with the conclusion that it doesn't have a knock sensor. A couple sources online say it does, but I think they're mistaken.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #7075
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
agree

I agree with wasp, this is a fantastic bike with even more potential without too much alteration necessary.

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #7076
b3nji
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
One time I had to fill up with the 87 and did not think to add octane booster and that crap made my engine knock so hard it nearly knocked me off my bike!
Was this on the S10??
b3nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #7077
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nji View Post
Was this on the S10??
Yep, S10 and low grade fuel, but it didn't blow up .

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #7078
b3nji
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Please,,, someone smarter than me... Develop a magic ignition mapping control adapter and ask me to test it for you
Would something like the Dynojet Power Commander V work?

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mmander_v.aspx
b3nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #7079
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,094
If any of you fellas outside the U.S. think you may like the black panel look of the S10 that we will be getting very soon here in the USA, over your silver and 2 tone seat look. and want to trade when I get mine, PM me, I'd be game for it.
Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #7080
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
UK Ténérians

Yamaha UK are offering buyers are a "free adventure in Wales" at the Ténéré Experience school (like the BMW thing, except with decent bikes ).

I think it would be only fair to invite those of us who've already bought the bike, too.

Check out:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/uk/cam...adventure.aspx
http://www.yamaha-tenere-experience.co.uk/

The video suggests a good day out.
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote