Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #7396
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
The other bug bare I have is that the throttle response is sometimes a bit laggy/snatchy just off idle in either mode. Maybe I'm too used to carbied bikes and I may take some time to get used to it, only time will tell. The speedo should pass 800km by the end of the week.
Brendan,

I noticed that too when I first got my bike. It was a demonstrator and had 950kms on the clock. I was quite worried at first but it seemed to disappear after a week or two and I don't have the issue anymore. I can't explain it.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #7397
Glenn C
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
Hey, Glen C. Up for a ride? Cheers, Rob.
Robbo60,

You have a PM.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #7398
Glenn C
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
As you mentioned the tightness of the cables and hoses, which risers, and what size did you use.
thanks
Japako,

The risers I use are some cheap generic ones I got from a bike shop just to experiment with. They have several "spacers" so you can adjust the overall lift but I couldn't really get more than 25mm before getting problems with the cables and hoses when at each sterring lock.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #7399
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
My ST ran dry coming into Cowes last month and it took 22.5 litres to the brim. The bike hiccuped about 2 kays out, .....
That's good to know, thanks Robbo60!

I'm assuming starting the S10 after running dry, wasn't a problem?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #7400
shieldsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig View Post
A few months ago I recieved a letter from our local dealer here regarding the top case mount problem and the recall. It also said that they have asked for feedback about the bike from all the buyers and that all were very happy with the bike but all commented about the "First Edition" paniers and top box poor quality. The local dealer that is also the Givi importer decieded to give and attach every XT1200Z a free of charge set ( top box and paniers) of the new Givi adventure cases ( http://www.givi.it/Side-hardbags/Mon...TRK33N-TREKKER). Yesterday I went in to the local dealers shop and came out with the new set all attached.
What a bloody change !
I am for one a very happy customer and give my dealer a big thumbs up.
Yep I'd have to say they are the biggest disappointment with the bike, the stock Yamaha side cases and top box are pure shite - the locking mechanism is a bastard and very fiddly to get the boxes locked down properly. I wish I would have waited and looked at the rest of the market first.

I wonder if Yamaha Australia will replace the crap luggage they sold down here ?

The other thing I didn't like at all is the calsci screen - barn door look alike and now sitting in my shed gathering dust, I've heard people say function over form but that thing is plain ugly and detracts from the bikes overall looks. I've gone the larger Yamaha screen and the excellent waspworks screen adjusting mechanism. Perfect :-)
shieldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #7401
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Addicional info on the XTZ1200R:
- + 10hp over the stock one;
- 220kgs dry;
-Ohlins suspension.

Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #7402
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
Addicional info on the XTZ1200R:
- + 10hp over the stock one;
- 220kgs dry;
-Ohlins suspension.

Sounds good but I would like to see wet weight instead.

10hp should be doable on a standard bike, as long as it doesn't kill the bottom. They should try for 50hp for a RRR. not 10.

The suspension should be good, but how much better than standard?

I know I might be sounding all negative but it's not a huge difference, except maybe weight.

However if this was really the 2013 model in disguise, that would be different. Good tweaks although I'd personally loose the seat.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #7403
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Keep in mind that this bike will be used in races (unlike the World Crosser), the first of those the Sardegna Rally in May. I can't see the use of a 150hp rally bike, even in the hands of Cantanese
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #7404
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
sure, but ALL the S10 owners that have commented on when reserve kicks in (and I've read of quite a lot), have said that it is when 17-18ltrs have been used up, so 5 to 6ltrs should be left in the tank
I DID have to push after 60km on reserve once
That was in very heavy traffic (jam) conditions though...
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #7405
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
The distance you will be able to cover once in reserve is fully speed dependent. The Super does have a huge reserve but how far it will go depends on you.

The difference in fuel consumption is incredible on that bike. My median speed on the highways as around 140kmph and my KM/L is around 12km per liter. When I ride with my wife she likes riding at a more comfortable (read "safer") speed on her bike of 100kmph to 110kmph and my fuel consumption suddenly goes to around 30km/L.

Not only am I safer, I safe a lot of money when she rides besides me

The other day at 150kmph+ I was down to 9KM/L.

One time I was nowhere near a gas station, went on reserve and I rode well over 90km at a speed of 80kmph to 90kmph without a problem. Had I raced there I probably would have been out of fuel 30km later.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #7406
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
That's good to know, thanks Robbo60!

I'm assuming starting the S10 after running dry, wasn't a problem?
No problem, just filled it up and away. I doubt it is likely to get BONE dry,...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #7407
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
The distance you will be able to cover once in reserve is fully speed dependent. The Super does have a huge reserve but how far it will go depends on you.

The difference in fuel consumption is incredible on that bike. My median speed on the highways as around 140kmph and my KM/L is around 12km per liter. When I ride with my wife she likes riding at a more comfortable (read "safer") speed on her bike of 100kmph to 110kmph and my fuel consumption suddenly goes to around 30km/L.

Not only am I safer, I safe a lot of money when she rides besides me

The other day at 150kmph+ I was down to 9KM/L.

One time I was nowhere near a gas station, went on reserve and I rode well over 90km at a speed of 80kmph to 90kmph without a problem. Had I raced there I probably would have been out of fuel 30km later.
I am not sure how you calculate your km/l. At between 9-12 is pretty bad. For me on stock I had travelled 330km at between 150-170km/h and put in 22litres. 330km divded by 22litres i get 15km/l.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #7408
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,949
Quite a few of us have been bugging Rick and he and Al take it all in stride.

I have ordered the 115 Litre side cases to avoid a top box and keep the weight down low. One thing you little b*st*rds forget is for those of us 6'4 tall and 245 all of our clothes are XL and if we carry a pair of running shoes they half fill up a side case.

One of the really nice features of Jesse Bags is that you can order them keyed to match your other bikes Jesse Bags. All three of our Jesse equipped Bikes have the same key and that just simplifies life on the road.

You can order your Jesses now for delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #7409
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Any one know where I can get one of those carbon fiber muffler heat shields I see on all these bikes...

raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #7410
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I DID have to push after 60km on reserve once
That was in very heavy traffic (jam) conditions though...
thanks! that makes me think I'll in future reset my consumption meter if I run into reserve and am far away from a filling station
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote