ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #7471
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
and...

http://www.super-tenere.net/index.php/forum/

which is more Euro-oriented.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #7472
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
...it does not appear that any two wheel trailer regardless of size would be much fun to bring along . i wonder if any single wheel trailer no matter how small and light would so greatly detract from the riding experience that it would be a total party killer ...
???

Never done it myself, but most reports I've read and FJR/Gold Wing owners I've spoken with relate that unless overloaded, it doesn't take too long to forget it's back there.

The SuperT has a lot of commonalities with the FJR, including weight, power, and the shaft drive. The FJR has been pulling trailers for years, both monowheel and traditional dual. You might go to FJRForum and do a search, or even just Google "FJR trailer" and go to images. Examples from the web:


__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #7473
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 146
bike and trailer pics

thanks wreckchecker for the bike and trailer pics . the second pic you posted looks like an fjr1300 with the popular uni-go trailer . that is a lovely combination . the uni-go trailer only weighs 70 pounds . a rider probably wouldn't notice the trailer after a few hundred miles . there are several mono wheel trailers listed on the internet . yesterday bross posted a link for third wheel trailers which are just like the uni-go but about ten inches longer . i might order a third wheel trailer after my black 2012 s10 arrives from japan -- whenever that may be . i will post a full unbiased review of using the third wheel trailer behind a yamaha super tenere . hopefully the third wheel trailer won't end up being a waste of time and money but will instead make the campsite a better party with more toys food and vodka .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #7474
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 423
Thanks fredz43 & markjenn!
I`m now a member there even if I do not own a XT1200, maybe one day.
Still not 100% convinced it would be 2X as good as my DL650 when it comes to value AUD$10K vs AUD$20K.
It seems to consume more than 4.5 liter/100 k`s, 2X insurance premium, not sure about tyre wear but most likely less than 16K km`s for the rear.
The screen seems to be as or almost as bad as the DL, think it would be quite hot on the side where the radiator is in the hot Australian summer (nice in the winter though), not sure about the vibes since I only done a shorter test ride.
What seems to be good is the seat, shaft drive (heard the 1st gear is a bit too tall though), really like the looks, traction control plus the ground clearance is higher.
I do not have any problem to keep up with more powerful bikes such as the GS1200 on dirt with the DL and would not worry too much about drop a much cheaper bike.
I will continue to try to justify the price tag, but it is a beauty indeed at least compared to my DL.
Cheers.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #7475
Animo
Beastly n00b
 
Animo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Playa del Carmen
Oddometer: 4,811
All good thoughts on your part, but you will only fully justify the price tag after you own the S10 for a few months. After that you will realize that you would have paid more if you had to and you would still be happy with the money well spent.
__________________
Life is good, even in adversity!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #7476
Chris618
Studly Adventurer
 
Chris618's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Troy, NY
Oddometer: 772
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a S10. Gregs front fender mod pushed me over the edge, love it! I am concerned about selling my loved fjr and/or loved 950se for the S10. I hope it is as good as both these bikes have been. Thanks guys for all your input helping me decide on this bike!
__________________
Super Tenere
400 exc sm
ttr 125
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #7477
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Thanks fredz43 & markjenn!
I`m now a member there even if I do not own a XT1200, maybe one day.
Still not 100% convinced it would be 2X as good as my DL650 when it comes to value AUD$10K vs AUD$20K.
It seems to consume more than 4.5 liter/100 k`s, 2X insurance premium, not sure about tyre wear but most likely less than 16K km`s for the rear.
The screen seems to be as or almost as bad as the DL, think it would be quite hot on the side where the radiator is in the hot Australian summer (nice in the winter though), not sure about the vibes since I only done a shorter test ride.
What seems to be good is the seat, shaft drive (heard the 1st gear is a bit too tall though), really like the looks, traction control plus the ground clearance is higher.
I do not have any problem to keep up with more powerful bikes such as the GS1200 on dirt with the DL and would not worry too much about drop a much cheaper bike.
I will continue to try to justify the price tag, but it is a beauty indeed at least compared to my DL.
Cheers.
In Oz the Stroms are hard to beat on value, but there are at least a few choices now if you want to move up, or across, depending on your riding requirements. The S10 will be a better bike but as you said $10K more better is totally up to you. Better than trying to go $15K more though.

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #7478
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure
 
Robbo60's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 113
My XT1200Z reluctant to start after a bath

I gave the bike a wash this afternoon. It had been on the centre stand in the garage for the last 9 days since parking it up after a nice 200 klm ride with no issues.
I wheeled it out, washed and dryed it. After a wash I always run the bikes up and down the street to dry off the brakes etc. Tried to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and zip. Let it rest, more cranking and zip zero nothing. Let it rest and more cranking now a pop, and eventually a start on 1/8 throttle. Took it for a slow run around the streets, all seemed fine. It restarts now just fine. Letting it go cold at the moment and will then try again.
Anyone experienced this?
In 35 years and god knows how many bikes owned, I've only had this happen to my '82 900SS Duke (kick start only) and a couple of dirt bikes in the late '70,s after they had been for a swim......
BTW the battery was a real trooper it hang in there long after I thought it would......
__________________
XT1200Z
RSV4 Factory

Robbo60 screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 02:58 AM
Robbo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #7479
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I gave the bike a wash this afternoon. It had been on the centre stand in the garage for the last 9 days since parking it up after a nice 200 klm ride with no issues.
I wheeled it out, washed and dryed it. After a wash I always run the bikes up and down the street to dry off the brakes etc. Tried to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and zip. Let it rest, more cranking and zip zero nothing. Let it rest and more cranking now a pop, and eventually a start on 1/8 throttle. Took it for a slow run around the streets, all seemed fine. It restarts now just fine. Letting it go cold at the moment and will then try again.
Anyone experienced this?
In 35 years and god knows how many bikes owned, I've only had this happen to my '82 900SS Duke (kick start only) and a couple of dirt bikes in the late '70,s after they had been for a swim......
BTW the battery was a real trooper it hang in there long after I thought it would......
Do you think maybe you might have got good bit of water down the intake by mistake? That's what it sounds like to me.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #7480
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure
 
Robbo60's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Do you think maybe you might have got good bit of water down the intake by mistake? That's what it sounds like to me.
I don't think so. The airbox entry is up under the tank, above the rocker cover and behind the metal plate behind the steering head. Only way to get water up there is ride through a deep water crossing. I just use a light spray from a garden hose.
If you somehow managed to direct a hose at the intake you then need to fill the airbox until the lower edge of snorkles are immersed, several litres of water. It is just not credible.
__________________
XT1200Z
RSV4 Factory

Robbo60 screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 04:25 AM
Robbo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 AM   #7481
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I don't think so. The airbox entry is up under the tank, above the rocker cover and behind the metal plate behind the steering head. Only way to get water up there is ride through a deep water crossing. I just use a light spray from a garden hose.
If you somehow managed to direct a hose at the intake you then need to fill the airbox until the lower edge of snorkles are immersed, several litres of water. It is just not credible.
Well it's been raining and raining and raining, my house is damp and the doors are swollen. Since I may live not too far from you weather wise...
Could it have been some condensation pooling in the tank? Seems like a possibility after the last week, although I would have thought at least it would have fired with the remaining fuel in the lines. Greater minds than mine would probably work it out.

The bike definitely doesn't mind a bit of a swim, so I would have to agree that is not much of a possibility.

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #7482
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers
 
warnabrother's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Morn. Pen. Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I gave the bike a wash this afternoon. It had been on the centre stand in the garage for the last 9 days since parking it up after a nice 200 klm ride with no issues.
I wheeled it out, washed and dryed it. After a wash I always run the bikes up and down the street to dry off the brakes etc. Tried to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and zip. Let it rest, more cranking and zip zero nothing. Let it rest and more cranking now a pop, and eventually a start on 1/8 throttle. Took it for a slow run around the streets, all seemed fine. It restarts now just fine. Letting it go cold at the moment and will then try again.
Anyone experienced this?
In 35 years and god knows how many bikes owned, I've only had this happen to my '82 900SS Duke (kick start only) and a couple of dirt bikes in the late '70,s after they had been for a swim......
BTW the battery was a real trooper it hang in there long after I thought it would......

sounds like exactly the issue I had in Tassie a few months back.. but this happened to me in the morning with my bike being parked up over night.. No washing or rain etc. etc.. I put it down to dodgy fuel but it's never happened again.. to be honest, I don't think it was the fuel as it didn't happen again that day and I was running on the same fuel.. so, sorry.. no constructive advice here..
__________________
bikeless...
warnabrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #7483
digger
Adventurer
 
digger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NW.NJ.
Oddometer: 24
I have an intrest in this awesome new bike. First I need to unload my super enduro though.
__________________
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #7484
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
I have an intrest in this awesome new bike. First I need to unload my super enduro though.

Bruce-- you have to turn your computer off when Frank's over your house!!!!!
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #7485
digger
Adventurer
 
digger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NW.NJ.
Oddometer: 24
No Walt, it's true. SUPER ENDURO is so, oh I don't know, 1980's.
__________________

digger screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 01:22 PM
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014