Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #736
imdickie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I watched the video three times and then after I realized it will be a longshot for this bike to come to the US. Fingers crossed.
Only theory and conjecture, but I have it from two sources that the Super T will make it to the US. No real timeline though.

An industry guy I know connected to the aftermarket (Pipes, seats, suspensions) is being told to expect them so start thinking products. He has it in his budget for next year to buy one for the company for "Research".

I also sat on a plane flying from Orange County to ATL next to a logistics guy from Yamaha recently and I said I wish Yamaha would come out with something to compete with the BMW GSA. His answer "Wishes do come true, and you aren't going to have to wait that long." This was back in Sept.

I already told my wife I am getting one, even if I have to sell her car to get it. That didn't go over all that well.
imdickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #737
DragoSapien
RAD

Oddometer: 88
OK! Wait!!! Where's all the U.S. info. I'm not liking this one bit.
DragoSapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #738
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis2k
Might have to pop up to Wolverhampton sometime soon then! (I actually went to Uni in Stafford )
Streetbike in Halesowen. Good dealer.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #739
voyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I want one!!!!!!!!
voyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #740
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtele
The new update on the official website shows the shadow front lights similar to the R1s or FZs. Not like the above.
pinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #741
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx
Hey, y'all! Here in Holland the word goes: the new Super Tenere 2010 will be launched february '10, costs around 16.500,- euro's and will be only available thru internet in limited numbers at first(just like the V-max). All true.... wait and see?
Greetz, Hans.
And that comes from what trusty source?

If that pricing is any where near the the actul pricing Yamaha will shoot them self if the foot if not the head, before the bike is even presented officialy.

I think Yamaha will have to set the price not more then 12500-13000 euro if they want a bike that sells well.

My spekulation about the new ST is that is a roadbike with offroadambition and looks.

The bike is properbly going up against competitors as BMW GS, KTM SMT, Multistrada 1200, Tiger 1050.
/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #742
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdickie

I already told my wife I am getting one, even if I have to sell her car to get it. That didn't go over all that well.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #743
DaveM
Rider

Oddometer: 50
Maybe if enough people in the US. sign up for updates it might show enough intrest to bring it over.

I signed up but truthfully I'm not holding my breath

One thing I think the manufactures miss on is making such a difference in each market. the hype generated by a new product would seem to me to generate more sales but getting it a year or 2 later or not at all feels as if they dont care as much. The HD XR1200 comes to mind.

I believe in the US. that the profit margin is not as great so the have to sell more units.
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #744
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Buster
My spekulation about the new ST is that is a roadbike with offroadambition and looks.
The bike is properbly going up against competitors as BMW GS, KTM SMT, Multistrada 1200, Tiger 1050.
Not a chance in hell body boy. This bike will be a true 990 adv competitor. Or so the facts point to.

stege screwed with this post 12-26-2009 at 06:53 PM
stege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #745
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege
Not a chance in hell body boy. This bike will be a true 990 adv. Or so the facts point to.
It seems to me there are some who want a V-strom competitor. Others a 1200GS killer. I'm with you, hoping this new offering will want to be an alternative to the KTM 990.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #746
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Buster
And that comes from what trusty source?

If that pricing is any where near the the actul pricing Yamaha will shoot them self if the foot if not the head, before the bike is even presented officialy.

I think Yamaha will have to set the price not more then 12500-13000 euro if they want a bike that sells well.

I totally agree with you. The source I got this from, is an Allroadmaniacs forum member in Holland, who got this info from a Yamaha dealer. But like I said, wait and see!
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #747
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
This bike will be a true 990 adv competitor. Or so the facts point to.
Nothing would make me happier, but i doubt it.
/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #748
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Not a chance in hell body boy. This bike will be a true 990 adv competitor. Or so the facts point to.
As others said, I hope you're right. But what facts are you referring to? Seems to me the facts Yamaha has reveled has put a lot of emphasis on shaft drive and all the fancy electronics, including ABS, traction control and linked brakes. All things that scream STREET in my book. I'm guessing it may be a more dirt worthy GS (12) for guys that don't want to go the BMW route. If that's the case it maybe a replacement for my strom, as I would enjoy a streetbike that has some more offroad in it.

I'm not holding my breath for it to give the 990 competition in the dirt, but I hope I'm wrong. So far everything that I see that eludes to it's dirt prowess isn't fact but romantic imagery of associating it with it's Dakar heritage. BMW does the same thing with it's GS12. The little dig at the LWR makes me think its target rider is a GS12, the question is how much better is it. That's fine, I think Yamaha could build a better GS.

The fact is that most following this thread will be disappointed judging by all of our different expectations, as it can't be everything. I love watching the progress on this sort of thing

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #749
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Judging by the manner in which the whole official video presentation was made (no carving between hills on asphalt and shit) makes me believe this bike is more oriented to the extreme biker out there rather to the GS type. Sure, it has electronics and gizmos but hey, the same kinda stuff was said about the portable radars mounted on planes long time ago.

I would love to be right on this one as much as you would love to be wrong.

Time will tell but the official info points towords a competition tough breed not a fast lane offroadish looking pig.
I hope to god this turns out to be a reliable 990 adventure and not a 1050 tiger. Fingers crossed really...
Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #750
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
Maybe if enough people in the US. sign up for updates it might show enough intrest to bring it over.

I signed up but truthfully I'm not holding my breath

One thing I think the manufactures miss on is making such a difference in each market. the hype generated by a new product would seem to me to generate more sales but getting it a year or 2 later or not at all feels as if they dont care as much. The HD XR1200 comes to mind.

I believe in the US. that the profit margin is not as great so the have to sell more units.
Hype does not equal sales. How many people (even just here on advrider.com) said that if H-D brought the XR to the states, "I'd buy one." The bike is successful in Europe, but here in the states it's a showroom anchor. That's the reason you can only get the super sweet XR1200X in Europe.