User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #7501
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Thought people may be interested..

Just had a long conversation with a major repairer in NSW regards current RTA rules and regs trying to clarify a few things regards definitions and current state of the new JAN 2011 write off provisions. Those in NSW, Australia may be interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4138

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #7502
tassiemays
Big Pete

Oddometer: 17
Wicked Happened to me once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I gave the bike a wash this afternoon. It had been on the centre stand in the garage for the last 9 days since parking it up after a nice 200 klm ride with no issues.
I wheeled it out, washed and dryed it. After a wash I always run the bikes up and down the street to dry off the brakes etc. Tried to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and zip. Let it rest, more cranking and zip zero nothing. Let it rest and more cranking now a pop, and eventually a start on 1/8 throttle. Took it for a slow run around the streets, all seemed fine. It restarts now just fine. Letting it go cold at the moment and will then try again.
Anyone experienced this?
In 35 years and god knows how many bikes owned, I've only had this happen to my '82 900SS Duke (kick start only) and a couple of dirt bikes in the late '70,s after they had been for a swim......
BTW the battery was a real trooper it hang in there long after I thought it would......
Once after a bath as well, roll started it and it has never happended again. Moisture in something, somewhere.
tassiemays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #7503
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git ray View Post
thats because they have finally realised that they are crap and an embarrassment to the rest of the bike.
+1
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #7504
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I gave the bike a wash this afternoon. It had been on the centre stand in the garage for the last 9 days since parking it up after a nice 200 klm ride with no issues.
I wheeled it out, washed and dryed it. After a wash I always run the bikes up and down the street to dry off the brakes etc. Tried to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and zip. Let it rest, more cranking and zip zero nothing. Let it rest and more cranking now a pop, and eventually a start on 1/8 throttle. Took it for a slow run around the streets, all seemed fine. It restarts now just fine. Letting it go cold at the moment and will then try again.
Anyone experienced this?
In 35 years and god knows how many bikes owned, I've only had this happen to my '82 900SS Duke (kick start only) and a couple of dirt bikes in the late '70,s after they had been for a swim......
BTW the battery was a real trooper it hang in there long after I thought it would......
Yep.
Just had this happen to me the other day. I have ridden the bike in heavy rain, cross water crossings and have washed it a few times but this time I came back full of mud and had to use a great deal of water to get the bike clean. Then instead of starting it up I rolled it into the garage and left it over night. The next day it would not start come hell or high water. In the end we had to open the bike down to the plugs and dry them (as the engine was fule flooded) and after that the bike starded without an issue.
My lesson is that it is a good idea to start the engine during the wash or at least right after it so you do not get a nasty suprise a few hours later.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #7505
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
Y'Know, the white one is utterly gorgeous...
Attached Images

Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #7506
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
white one is great but I'll take any damned color at this point

give me the friggin bike!
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #7507
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
I know this has probably been covered here, but as i'm a lazy git, what's the average tank range / MPG of the bike.
Apologies for any hair that may be pulled due to my idleness...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #7508
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,282
Minimal bodywork

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
white one is great but I'll take any damned color at this point

give me the friggin bike!
My point exactly!q/
The painted body work is so minimalist that one could change bike color every month.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #7509
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues View Post
My point exactly!q/
The painted body work is so minimalist that one could change bike color every month.
I was just thinking how easy it would be to paint my S10 white....

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #7510
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I know this has probably been covered here, but as i'm a lazy git, what's the average tank range / MPG of the bike.
Carries 23 Litres. About 0.5Litres won't be used. Gets about 6L/100km brisk riding down to about 4.5L/100* MAX steady "Oh shit I'm gonna run out" T1 mode.

So 375min - 500Km max.

*I might be confusing indicated with actual. No guarantees that based on these figures you won't be left de-hydrating in the middle of no-where. Carry a fuel pod and water if you are concerned. No other spares needed. Running a whole tank in "Oh shit I'm going to run out mode" can lead to fatigue and boredom. Get many snooze stops if you intend to do this

You'll have to do the conversions*, you lazy sod

*Unless SuperCruise does them for you.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 03:14 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #7511
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Obviously it depends greatly on riding style, speed and traffic conditions, however I now seem to get the same economy whether riding to work or I am out on the highway. I am not shy with the throttle but only if I know I will be sustaining whatever speed I have rapidly accelerated up to for more than say 15 seconds. I often coast much of the way to a stop if trailing traffic is not a factor.

With 6600 kms on the clock, I am now consistently getting 355 kms until the last fuel bar flashes then another 60 kms (ie. 415 kms total) before refueling with 20-20.5 litres. This averages out to 4.9 l/100 kms, 48 US MPG and 58 Imperial MPG. This gives a theoretical range to completely empty of 470kms ( 292 miles).

The bike's economy gauge reads 4.4 l/100 under these conditions, so the gauge is about 11% optimistic. Nonetheless, like with the speedo error, I find the economy gauge to be consistently out by this much so, with the error factored in, it is therefore still a useful indicator of likely range.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #7512
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
The tank range was one of mine worries but up to 500 km`s on a tank is good enough.
4.9 l/100 km`s is only 0.5 more than the 550 cc 45 kilo lighter DL650.
Maybe time to trade in my beloved Wee Strom?
Probably have to pay around $AUD13K in between which still is a lot of $, need to play the Lotto.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #7513
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
sw motech trax side cases for the yamaha super tenere

gentlemen
my new s10 is due stateside sometime before the end of the summer . i will be receiving an all black ( raven ) version and i will equip the bike with a black carbon fiber muffler , black exhaust heat shield , crash bars , skid plate , fog lights , and other accessories . plus i plan to mount a full set of sw motech black trax evo alu boxes on the s10 . the trax 45L side case measures 19.3" X 11" X 14.6" . the trax 37L side case measures 19.3" X 9.1" X 14.6" . i have ordered two arai xc ram open face helmets . i do not yet know the length width or height of the arai xc ram but i would like to find out because the dimensions of the helmet will determine whether i order a 45L sw motech trax side case or a 37L trax side case . i intend to stash my two arai xc ram helmets inside the trax side cases when i am not riding . ( one helmet will be locked inside the right case and one helmet will be locked inside the left case . ) i hope that the 45L side case is wide enough to contain one open face helmet but the 37L side case might not be large enough . if the arai xc ram fits inside 45L side case but does not fit inside the 37L side case then i will install two 45L trax side cases on the yamaha s10 . if the arai xc ram does fit inside both the 45L case and the 37L case then i will use the 37L on the left side and use the 45L on the right side . have any of you sw motech trax evo alu box owners ever stored a helmet inside your side case ? ( i am also installing a 38L trax top box which is known to hold a full face helmet but this case might not always be attached to the bike or will often be occupied by other essential gear . ) please respond if you have any knowledge about the capacity of the trax side cases . thank you .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #7514
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,323
I see some mileage figures in this thread that seem pretty optimistic to me. I've never heard of anyone getting 300+ miles out of a tank, nor anyone consistently getting 48 mpg. There are a lot of reports of high-30's MPG.

FWIIW, I'm planning on low-40's for typical mileage and refueling stops about every 200-220 miles with a 1-gal reserve. I think this is a lot more realistic.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #7515
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I see some mileage figures in this thread that seem pretty optimistic to me. I've never heard of anyone getting 300+ miles out of a tank, nor anyone consistently getting 48 mpg. There are a lot of reports of high-30's MPG.

FWIIW, I'm planning on low-40's for typical mileage and refueling stops about every 200-220 miles with a 1-gal reserve. I think this is a lot more realistic.

- Mark
There is no optimism in the figures I just posted, they are fact for how I have ridden the bike for the last couple of thousand kilometres. Take it or leave it.

Comparitively with my Wee Strom I used to ride under the same conditions, I used to get 4.4 l/100kms riding to work and 5.1 on the open highway. So for ME, the S10 gets 10% worse economy in urban riding but slightly better economy out on the open road. Again, take it or leave it.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote