ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #7561
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
The bike is apparently getting a quite consistent 4.8-5 km/l (I don't do l/100km, sorry).
Al

Is that riding through floods with water up to the headlights or on the freeway?
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #7562
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
I personally don't see a problem with the OEM luggage. If the locks are fiddly then push down on the friggin lid then turn the key, seems rather simple to me.

I am planning on going OEM.

Go ahead pull the trigger...
Ok. You are a man that likes character in his boxes
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #7563
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill
 
AL-58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Blue Mountains, OZ
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Min requirement on the S10 is 95, which thankfully is ethanol free. Haven't ridden mine enough to check the real consumption figures, but it is very good, they are an economical bike like the TDM900 was. But with the speedo reading 10-11% fast how much do I trust the dash computer. I need to check the odometer reading against one of the 5km speedo check areas on the freeways to see if/how much any correction is required. The bike is apparently getting a quite consistent 4.8-5 km/l (I don't do l/100km, sorry).

Al
Bloody l/100km getting in the way again.

20km/l plus is normal on the avg fuel consumption thing on the dash. No idea whats in reserve, the light comes on too early and I haven't tried to run it out yet.

Al
__________________

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #7564
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill
 
AL-58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Blue Mountains, OZ
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Is that riding through floods with water up to the headlights or on the freeway?
It was obviously the water resisitance causing the high consumption. I havent gone that far on a tank yet, but based on what I'm putting in it after the reserve light goes on, I would trust it to 400kms. I've only run this one with the bags on, It would do better without them.

It was quite impressive last weekend, we had to go look at some houses, the two of us went out on the S10 (a rare occurence as she has her own 2 bikes). The 1200 seems to pull just as hard 2-up as it does with just me. The TDM used to notice the extra quite a bit, the S10 also has a pillion seat that doesnt give me a sore ear.

Al
__________________

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #7565
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post

It was quite impressive last weekend, we had to go look at some houses, the two of us went out on the S10 (a rare occurence as she has her own 2 bikes). The 1200 seems to pull just as hard 2-up as it does with just me. The TDM used to notice the extra quite a bit, the S10 also has a pillion seat that doesnt give me a sore ear.

Al
Sounds like your are pretty well healed up then. Good stuff.

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #7566
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure
 
Robbo60's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 99
1st Sydney Riders Ride Sat 26th March 2011

http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...0March%202011/

I hope this works, pics of the day. As if you need to see more pics of an ST.
Sorry about the Wee Strom, this pest kept following us around, I think he is an ST groupie.
__________________
XT1200Z
RSV4 Factory

Robbo60 screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 12:17 AM
Robbo60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #7567
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass
 
gmsnowball's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Oklahoma Some Where
Oddometer: 882
Wee Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...0March%202011/

I hope this works, pics of the day. As if you need to see more pics of an ST.
Sorry about the Wee Strom, this pest kept following us around, I think he is an ST groupie.
I guess you weren't pushing the ST, surely it can outpace the Wee...

I have a silver Wee and a blue ST on order. If the ST is the bike I think it is I may let someone else have the Wee.

P.S. Nice pics
__________________
Snowball
Ride Hard, Fast and Often

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #7568
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 837
the sign explains it.. looks like they just were just obeying traffic rules

A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #7569
Animo
Beastly n00b
 
Animo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Playa del Carmen
Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
I personally don't see a problem with the OEM luggage. If the locks are fiddly then push down on the friggin lid then turn the key, seems rather simple to me. Surely a little thin key won't turn the lock mechanism with the lid under pressure from a water tight seal gasket.


The problem is with the lock mechanism itself, not so much pressure on the OEM panniers. When I first bought the bike I bent the first key opening the panniers, after a few months the locks were a little smoother. As a warning, the retaining screws of the locks vibrate off. They are two little screws that hold the lock in place on the inside of the pannier/top box and they should be checked regularly and re-tightened. If the screws are loose (which is probably what bent the key in the first place) the panniers/top box are really difficult to open.

The other day I had to break into the top box because the two screws rattled off the lock, and the lock was free spinning. I now check them once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Bloody l/100km getting in the way again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
20km/l plus is normal on the avg fuel consumption thing on the dash. No idea whats in reserve, the light comes on too early and I haven't tried to run it out yet.
Al


Because of this topic I now check my average gas consumption more often, yesterday it was 12.5km/Liter. I now always ride with the TCS on 2, and on Sport, I am having a blast with the acceleration so I am burning way more gas than usual, but it's worth the extra cash. I rode around for at least 80km on empty before filling up. The octane requirement is 95 or higher in the manual, 97 octane or higher is written on the gas tank , I add Octane on every fill up and I noticed an improvement in gas mileage, but could just be me thinking that.....
__________________
Life is good, even in adversity!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #7570
horseman474
Outback Albatross
 
horseman474's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Oddometer: 154
S10 get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...0March%202011/

I hope this works, pics of the day. As if you need to see more pics of an ST.
Sorry about the Wee Strom, this pest kept following us around, I think he is an ST groupie.
Had a great ride yesterday and good to put faces with names...
Have to do it again soon..
Also great to see what other mods have been done to bikes and how they work...
Rob's exhaust is music to my ears ... The bike sounds awsome with a pipe on it..
I think we may have got another 100k's under our belt if it wasnt for Mr Weestrom (Mark's ) flapping of gums and cheese fetish .
He must have been giddy being surronded by all that tenere magic.
Cheers
Geoff.
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7571
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure
 
Robbo60's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 99
Oh I just gotta make Mark see this - 'giddy being surronded by all that tenere magic' - and have camera to hand to capture his dial as he reads it, pure gold boy am I gonna get some mileage outa that........
Can't wait for the next one, hopefully even more ST's will come along!


Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman474 View Post
Had a great ride yesterday and good to put faces with names...
Have to do it again soon..
Also great to see what other mods have been done to bikes and how they work...
Rob's exhaust is music to my ears ... The bike sounds awsome with a pipe on it..
I think we may have got another 100k's under our belt if it wasnt for Mr Weestrom (Mark's ) flapping of gums and cheese fetish .
He must have been giddy being surronded by all that tenere magic.
Cheers
Geoff.
__________________
XT1200Z
RSV4 Factory
Robbo60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #7572
MotorcopBBQ
Adventurer
 
MotorcopBBQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Oddometer: 17
What is the total length from left to right with the factory panniers on the bike.
MotorcopBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #7573
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure
 
Robbo60's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcopBBQ View Post
What is the total length from left to right with the factory panniers on the bike.

A tad under 900mm. The bars at the bar end weights are about the same but the hand guards make it near enough to 1000mm.
So, generally, if the bars fit the panniers are sure to follow.....

Name:  DSC01150.JPG
Views: 1721
Size:  176.1 KB
__________________
XT1200Z
RSV4 Factory

Robbo60 screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 01:35 AM
Robbo60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #7574
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,925
Top Shot Robbo.

First time I've seen that angle. That tank does look a bit Strom-ish from up there. (no Offence)
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #7575
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill
 
AL-58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Blue Mountains, OZ
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post





Because of this topic I now check my average gas consumption more often, yesterday it was 12.5km/Liter. I now always ride with the TCS on 2, and on Sport, I am having a blast with the acceleration so I am burning way more gas than usual, but it's worth the extra cash. I rode around for at least 80km on empty before filling up. The octane requirement is 95 or higher in the manual, 97 octane or higher is written on the gas tank , I add Octane on every fill up and I noticed an improvement in gas mileage, but could just be me thinking that.....
Ethanol in your fuel?

Al
__________________

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014