Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #7576
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Top Shot Robbo.

First time I've seen that angle. That tank does look a bit Strom-ish from up there. (no Offence)
I'll be sure to keep THAT comment away from my mate WeeStrom Mark......

Robbo60 screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 03:09 AM
Robbo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #7577
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
Factory Panniers

I have no issues with them at all. Yes the locks were stiff when new but like most things if I find fault I make a change. In this case I pulled them apart and relieved some pressure from the mechanism which fixed that and they have since done over 4,900 klm on tour in all conditions and they are great, frankly I don't notice them they just do what they need to. The bike now done 9,250klm but the panniers about 8,000 total (the're not always on the bike). BTW, I have been down hard on the r/h side after hitting a roo. Only damage was the bottom black strip wore away but we slid along the tarmac for a long time. The plastic is very strong but not at all brittle. Once home I pulled the pannier apart to inspect, they are very well made. I think they would be water tight even submerged and they are plenty big enough for me. It amazes me how much crap some people take when they travel, camping or otherwise..
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #7578
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I have no issues with them at all. Yes the locks were stiff when new but like most things if I find fault I make a change. In this case I pulled them apart and relieved some pressure from the mechanism which fixed that and they have since done over 4,900 klm on tour in all conditions and they are great, frankly I don't notice them they just do what they need to. The bike now done 9,250klm but the panniers about 8,000 total (the're not always on the bike). BTW, I have been down hard on the r/h side after hitting a roo. Only damage was the bottom black strip wore away but we slid along the tarmac for a long time. The plastic is very strong but not at all brittle. Once home I pulled the pannier apart to inspect, they are very well made. I think they would be water tight even submerged and they are plenty big enough for me. It amazes me how much crap some people take when they travel, camping or otherwise..
Yeah, and whomever mention the screws working loose, ever heard of loctite?
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #7579
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
S10 get together, odometer accuracy and fuel consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman474 View Post
Had a great ride yesterday and good to put faces with names...
Have to do it again soon..
Also great to see what other mods have been done to bikes and how they work...
Rob's exhaust is music to my ears ... The bike sounds awsome with a pipe on it..
I think we may have got another 100k's under our belt if it wasnt for Mr Weestrom (Mark's ) flapping of gums and cheese fetish .
He must have been giddy being surronded by all that tenere magic.
Cheers
Geoff.
Ohh so cruel

Rob, Geoff and CheeseMan, thanks for the ride yesterday. I found my way home no problems and had the road into Bowral to myself! As you may have guessed, I'm still coming to grips with this sized bike on the open road, especially the twisties, where I'm not sure of the limits etc.

For anyone who's interrested, I also tried a few experiments on the way home...

I've known the indicated speed and the actual speed are different, as verified using a GPS. The speedo reads 10% higher. I've always wondered if the odometer is similarly overindicating, so I did a little test to check the odometer accuracy against the GPS. I reset my trip meter and using OziExplore's trip meter, I compared the results once I got home. I also used the cruise control on the freeway to check fuel consumption at highway cruising speeds for future reference. So I reset the average fuel consumption reading on the bike at the same time.

Odometer results: I travelled 123kms by the bike's trip meter and 121.5kms by the GPS. So it's about 1 % overindicated. Unlike the older mechanical speedo/odometer, obviously they are independant when it comes to tolerance/error of measurement. Handy to know when travelling in remote areas.

Fuel consumption results: I was travelling 1-up, unloaded and on a free-flowing freeway, so no stop-start etc. I was mostly sitting on 110kmh (actual by GPS) except for several kms at 80kmh in a road work area. This was on mostly very flat road, with little in the way of hills. Total distance for the test was as above. The indicated fuel consumption was 24.7km/l which is basically 4l/100kms. I noticed there was very little fuel advantage at 80kmh vs 110kmh but going over 110kmh and the fuel consuption rate increases.

Cheers
S10Glenn
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #7580
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post

Odometer results: I travelled 123kms by the bike's trip meter and 121.5kms by the GPS. So it's about 1 % overindicated. Unlike the older mechanical speedo/odometer, obviously they are independant when it comes to tolerance/error of measurement. Handy to know when travelling in remote areas.
That's pretty accurate, it seems to me that 1% would be within the margin of error of the GPS?

Quote:

Fuel consumption results: I was travelling 1-up, unloaded and on a free-flowing freeway, so no stop-start etc. I was mostly sitting on 110kmh (actual by GPS) except for several kms at 80kmh in a road work area. This was on mostly very flat road, with little in the way of hills. Total distance for the test was as above. The indicated fuel consumption was 24.7km/l which is basically 4l/100kms. I noticed there was very little fuel advantage at 80kmh vs 110kmh but going over 110kmh and the fuel consuption rate increases.
Thanks Glenn - those a pretty much ideal conditions, and good results (4/100km = US59mpg = UK70mpg). But I noticed this was indicated on the bike? Did you figure out the ACTUAL at the end?

Trevor
Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #7581
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That's pretty accurate, it seems to me that 1% would be within the margin of error of the GPS?

Thanks Glenn - those a pretty much ideal conditions, and good results (4/100km = US59mpg = UK70mpg). But I noticed this was indicated on the bike? Did you figure out the ACTUAL at the end?

Trevor
Trevor,

The kms were accurate but I didn't get an ACTUAL fuel usage, as I would have needed to fill up right before and after the trial, so it's based on the reported usage.

When I get a chance, I'll try it again with actual fuel used, as this would be handy to know as well.

Cheers
Glenn
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #7582
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Trevor,

The kms were accurate but I didn't get an ACTUAL fuel usage, as I would have needed to fill up right before and after the trial, so it's based on the reported usage.

When I get a chance, I'll try it again with actual fuel used, as this would be handy to know as well.

Cheers
Glenn
I'll be interested to see whether your fuel usage reading is around 10% optimistic like mine is. You can get a good indication of the error by comparing actual economy between tank fills, as long as you reset your fuel consumption gauge at each fill.

Another thing I have noticed is that since installing cruise control, my economy when cruising freeways improved by about 0.5 l/100kms. I didn't think it would make such a difference.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #7583
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,252
What's this thread doing on Page 2? Is the s10 Soooo lat year already?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #7584
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
What's this thread doing on Page 2? Is the s10 Soooo lat year already?

well I'm starting to believe this bike doesn't even exist. I think this is an elaborate hoax. Smoke and mirrors
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #7585
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Ethanol in your fuel?

Al

I am not sure what I have in my fuel here, sometimes I have doubts it’s even fuel!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #7586
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
well I'm starting to believe this bike doesn't even exist. I think this is an elaborate hoax. Smoke and mirrors
I hope not. I have pile of boxes full farkles ready install when it gets here.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #7587
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
Having been on one and seen them outside of the US, I know that's not true.

What kills me is knowing that I could buy one today in Europe and import essentially the same bike that we'll get whenever they finally arrive on US shores. But it isn't yet on the manufacturer's list, so it'll be impounded at the port for not complying with the EPA or NHTSA regs without big money.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #7588
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Hmmmm, good things come to those who wait. It is going to be a fun bike. Farkle purchases continue.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #7589
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
What kills me is knowing that I could buy one today in Europe and import
You know what kills me?

I have to wait untill saturday to ride because of work So sad, knowing the Ténéré is in my garage, waiting, just begging to be ridden.

I feel your pain.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #7590
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,530
I get to ride mine everyday !!!!
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote