Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #7666
Crocker
just passing through

Oddometer: 3,329
so what's the consensus on the Yamaha side cases? I can get a good deal on them and I like the way they look, but how durable are they? I understand they are plastic clad aluminum, and worry if a spill will do serious damage.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #7667
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I did Mark, and bought the ALTriders bars.
The original question was about skid plates, not crash bars. The discussion was hijacked to bars which I have no opinion on.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #7668
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
SW motech crash bars

Hi all,
Just thought I'd pass on some info on the SW-motech side crash bars.
I joined the puss brigade and put some heated grips on my bike yesterday. To wire them up the right hand side plastics had to be removed to access the Supertenere's battery...
I can say that with my bike fitted with the crash bars I was easily able to remove the side casing by unfastening it and rotating the fairing piece anti clock wise and lifting it out...gaining access to the battery..

just a little snippit of information,
Horseman.
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #7669
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
That's a nice looking scoot! I've got a blue one coming too. Have we decided who makes the best skid plate yet? (Mounting to the frame and not the engine).

Pete
Dont know if its the best, but I decided on the SW Motech myself. Price was one factor, availability another(couldnt get it locally when i was looking), but the main thing was i didnt like the very vertical front face of the Altrider one, the SW Motech is more angled and more likely to slide over an obstacle to my way of thinking. But thats just me and what I decided.

I like the Altrider bars and might get them when they finally become available. Why? I like the mountings, the way the load is spread and I like the look of the stainless over the blue/silver paint (can't chip like powder coat). And I don't want my bike to look like it's surrounded by builders scaffolding.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #7670
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,460
This turned up at work today !!!!

And yes it is for the S10 !!!!
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #7671
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Is that a Ruckus hiding to the right?
Nope that is a YAMAHA ZUMA 125, the grocery getter
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #7672
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Dont know if its the best, but I decided on the SW Motech myself. Price was one factor, availability another(couldnt get it locally when i was looking), but the main thing was i didnt like the very vertical front face of the Altrider one, the SW Motech is more angled and more likely to slide over an obstacle to my way of thinking. But thats just me and what I decided.

I like the Altrider bars and might get them when they finally become available. Why? I like the mountings, the way the load is spread and I like the look of the stainless over the blue/silver paint (can't chip like powder coat). And I don't want my bike to look like it's surrounded by builders scaffolding.

Al
I really want more info on the unit made over in South Africa-

http://motogear.co.za/75/shopbrowse

Combined skid plate with crash bars. Looks like a pretty good set up!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #7673
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
Yes... and it's not short enough.
Earth to Raybies...this is the Yamaha Super Tenere, not a Kawasaki Z1000 .
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #7674
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post

And yes it is for the S10 !!!!
That looks good. Never heard of them over this side of the pond. Any chance of a link to where you purchased?

Thanks.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #7675
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
That looks good. Never heard of them over this side of the pond. Any chance of a link to where you purchased?

Thanks.

Paul,

Take a look at Wasp's exhaust also. http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...oducts_id=1183

Here are some youtube clips of it. I have yet to hear a Super Tenere exhaust that sounds as good as this: (though it is a bit expensive)

with baffle

without baffle

A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #7676
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Excellent stuff. Sounds and looks great. Pardon my ignorance as i'm new to the 10 and it's farkles, but is the motorradworks stuff Australian and linked to Mike of Waspworks?
I only ask as far as shipping is concerned.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #7677
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Hi Tim,

I understand your concern. I have been talking with Traxxion Dynamics about their building a front end kit for the S-10. Depending when mine arrives, I am planning to ship them my forks so that they can use them as a fitting mule for production.

I have their front end kit on my KTM 990 and it is superb, I also have the Penske Rear Shock on the 990 and it is very nice.

At 6'4" 245 I expect that all MC stock suspension will be stressed for me and just change it over at purchase. I already have the rear Ohlin purchased for the S-10 and in the garage so I am halfway there.

I sat on the bike and it seemed fine ergonomically for me. I believe that stuff like suspension can be fixed and it is a constant on all our bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
My #1 concern is how the frontend feels. I have had a 2006 DL1000 and really did not like how heavy the frontend felt. I have a KLR685 and like the feel of the frontend. I don't expect the S10 to feel the same as the KLR just want to know how it feels before I invest a lot of time and money in accessories..
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #7678
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Excellent stuff. Sounds and looks great. Pardon my ignorance as i'm new to the 10 and it's farkles, but is the motorradworks stuff Australian and linked to Mike of Waspworks?
I only ask as far as shipping is concerned.

You are almost correct. Mike is the guy that runs the motorradgarage website that sells the product.

Wasp (whose name is actually Greg) of waspworks is the guy who designed and produced a number of products for the super tenere including that exhaust. He's the guy in that video.

Yes they are australian and based near Perth, I believe.

Here is Greg's thread down in the vendors section. He discusses all of his products http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #7679
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for that.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #7680
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for that.

no problem. To further clarify, I think he refers to anything that is sold through the motorrad garage website a "Motorradworks" product as opposed to waspworks product.

Another product that you may find very useful is the windscreen adjustment bracket http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...oducts_id=1191