Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #7816
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Being on Wasps bike about guarantees it's not stock. No usable stock parts on the Tenere.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #7817
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by combo View Post
I think the foam is a replacement for the paper from what I remember reading from past early posts.

I understand your comment Mark about the paper filters over foam if not in dusty conditions but I like foam filters better, you just have to stay on top of them more with cleaning and oiling them.

Foam works well too for long distance without dust but may require another spray or two of oil before cleaning. Just a personal thing for most I think. I am an old dirt bike guy with foam on the brain.
I think the tradeoffs are pretty well established. Paper universally protects the engine better, but airflow becomes more restricted as the paper loads; foam never restricts, but if you let maintenance slide, it also stops filtering. Paper becomes very expensive if you're in dusty conditions and require frequent replacement. Bottom line is that paper is generally better for a street bike and foam is better for a dirt bike. That's why I would view the swapping of paper with foam to be a negative for most S10 riders unless they're doing a lot of dirt riding. I'm hoping the US S10s keep the Euro paper element.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #7818
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
air filter

All Australian S10s are fitted with foam filters by Yamaha instead of the paper element

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #7819
grox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Being on Wasps bike about guarantees it's not stock. No usable stock parts on the Tenere.
Not sure about that: the seats are very comfortable, the headlights and tail lights work well and the instrumentation apart from the lack of a gear indicator is clear and the fuel tank is fairly large... I would not change these parts on my bike. However, as with most bikes, there are many parts that can be improved :)
grox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #7820
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 958
I think you would enjoy this photo gallery

http://www.motociclismo.it/gallery/m...page=1&ipage=1

Gian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #7821
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think the tradeoffs are pretty well established. Paper universally protects the engine better, but airflow becomes more restricted as the paper loads; foam never restricts, but if you let maintenance slide, it also stops filtering. Paper becomes very expensive if you're in dusty conditions and require frequent replacement. Bottom line is that paper is generally better for a street bike and foam is better for a dirt bike. That's why I would view the swapping of paper with foam to be a negative for most S10 riders unless they're doing a lot of dirt riding. I'm hoping the US S10s keep the Euro paper element.

- Mark
I given the stock paper element for a spare as well as the Uni Filters fitted and I would have to say I was not too impressed with the look of the paper element as their is no rubber seal around where the filter goes into the airbox and it relies on the hard plastic sealing in a hard plastic groove in the airbox, If I were to ever refit it I think it would be with a liberal coating of grease around the lip to stop any ingress of dust between the two surfaces. I was told that the change in filter which also happened to the 660 Tenere was because Australia has some of the finest dust in the world.

A paper element is at its most inefficient when it is brand new and after it starts receiving some dust it then becomes more efficent.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #7822
MATHI4424
n00b

Oddometer: 3
ideal engine oil

Hi guys i am riding XT1200 in my country with a climate of 34 degrees so i would like to know what is the ideal engine oil to use for my tenere? can anyone guide me

cheers
MATHI4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #7823
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHI4424 View Post
Hi guys i am riding XT1200 in my country with a climate of 34 degrees so i would like to know what is the ideal engine oil to use for my tenere? can anyone guide me

cheers
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #7824
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Question Paper, Foam, or Gauze...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm View Post

A paper element is at its most inefficient when it is brand new and after it starts receiving some dust it then becomes more efficent.

Cheers Rick

Really? Do you have any links, etc. with more about this? I'd love to read and hear more about that kind of info...

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #7825
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Small scary world eh?

Paul,

Are you using the Yamaha low seat on your bike? How tall are you/ inseam measurements?

Thanks,

Skrow
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #7826
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
I have the standard seat on the low setting. I'm about 5 ft 10, with a 30 inch inseam. I can flat foot the bike and had no issues after a 300 mile ride on Monday. Comfort, for me, seems A1.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #7827
Bundu
===============

Mechanic type opinion needed S10 10 000km service

Do the items charged for my 10 000km service tie up with what one should expect in 10 000km service on the S10? I thought the costs were reasonable...
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #7828
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
Do the items charged for my 10 000km service tie up with what one should expect in 10 000km service on the S10? I thought the costs were reasonable...
Amused to see that "sundries" appears to be a piece of nonsense appended to service bills the world over, Bundu...there's not even a chain to lube.

Hang on though - did they drop the final drive oil?
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #7829
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca View Post
Amused to see that "sundries" appears to be a piece of nonsense appended to service bills the world over, Bundu...there's not even a chain to lube.
Expensive shop rags, washing for customer pick-up, and beer for the shop crew's lunch.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #7830
Bundu
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca View Post
Hang on though - did they drop the final drive oil?
oddly enough, I asked him if he did and he said "yes", but it's not charged for and not required by the maintenance schedule at 10 000km... but charged for engine oil filter and this was not supposed to have been changed at this service.... Go figure..