User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #796
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,091
Dear Yamaha,

Please continue with your protracted ad campaign on the highly anticipated 2010 release, of your Super Tenere' 1200. In northern climates where the winter can drag on to somewhere near 6 months, your innovative "Dance of the seven veils" new release promotional approach, has me drawn to the infrequent internet postings, like a moth to a candle.
You sick, sadistic bastards, oops pardon me...

Your last black silhouette rendering certainly looks interesting, both headlights illuminated, tidy pannier setup etc...

Anyway keep up the abuse, I mean the innovative ad campaign and of course, don't gamble on marketing this big bore adv tourer in North America, as we all ride tassled Harleys or polished framed Hayabusas...

Sincerely,

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #797
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
All the GS bashers. Jealousy is a terrible burden to carry around.
...I guess you ride a GS...rough bike for a sensitive guy...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #798
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Jeez I just about lost a load when I saw this possibility posted in one of the Kool Aid Forums. Then I find out the bike is old news. Not holding my breath on this one, but I wish they would get a bike like that in the US. I have written and called at least once a year.

Price Concerns - WTF do you want a bike that equals or surpasses the KTM or BMW for 10 grand? This is exactly what Yamaha has replied back to me. They are concerned tight assed Americans won't spend the money on one of their bikes if they built a ADV style bike. Yamaha is totally right we expect to pay shit because it is a Japanese bike. I would easily spend 15-20 thousand or what it cost for a Jap bike that will run circles around and last twice as long as any Kool Aid bike.

Weight - As always it is a concern, but hopefully if they build one it will weigh in the KTM 990 or better yet the 950SE range.

Still hoping....hell maybe they can get them in Cananda and we can just buy one and bring it down.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #799
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Dear Yamaha,

Please continue with your protracted ad campaign on the highly anticipated 2010 release, of your Super Tenere' 1200. In northern climates where the winter can drag on to somewhere near 6 months, your innovative "Dance of the seven veils" new release promotional approach, has me drawn to the infrequent internet postings, like a moth to a candle.
You sick, sadistic bastards, oops pardon me...

Your last black silhouette rendering certainly looks interesting, both headlights illuminated, tidy pannier setup etc...

Anyway keep up the abuse, I mean the innovative ad campaign and of course, don't gamble on marketing this big bore adv tourer in North America, as we all ride tassled Harleys or polished framed Hayabusas...

Sincerely,

996DL

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #800
Ron_Luning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
With the specifications mentioned on the Yamaha site, what would a reasonable price be?

I think MSRP of $12.5K would be appropriate given that is how much their top of the line sportbikes cost in the US. Those are very high tech machines and have short life cycles, so if they can make back the cost of their investment and begin to profit before moving on to the next iteration at that price, why not with a bike like this?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #801
spokes81
enjoy your spagehtti

Oddometer: 169
I worked the Suzuki and Kawasaki booths at our local motorcycle show here in Calgary this year. I talked to a few Yamaha reps who told me this bike will not be coming to North America this year. Now i've heard rumbling's to this effect already but these guys flat out told me it isn't gonna happen. I sure hope they are wrong, but it isn't looking to good.

"As bad as that went, it couldn't have gone any better for that particular situation!" - Travis Pastrana
spokes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #802
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Has anyone thought about getting a petition going on this site to obtain a list of North Americans that want the Tenere and Super Tenere sold here.

Surely if enough interest is demonstrated they have to open their eyes.

Does anyone know how to contact the site administrator here to see if this is possible to do?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #803
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Depending on set up....guessing.....with durability and long life as the major design principal....followed by quality suspension...then extras such as heated grips, acc. outlet, large tank, sitchable ABS, HO Alternator....my guess is 14k MSRP. You will pay full MSRP for at least the first 3-4 years because they won't make enough. A base model right around 12K.

I probably missed it but what has Yamaha said as to why they have not introduced or even offered the 660 in NA??????

Personally I would take a 660 but would really want closer to 1000cc. They would have to offer up a deposit to really verify who wants one.....but then that results in the entire worry about a new model. Only way around is not screw with what they are selling in Euro....just make it NA available.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

wickit screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 05:45 PM
Old 01-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #804
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
$18k Cdn.

Is my bet if it will ever become available in Canada.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #805
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
http://www.gizmag.com/yamahas-1200cc...m_medium=email
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #806
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

The more I see/read on this bike the more it looks like another freaking street bike that gets rode on dirt roads. Sorry guys as I know the next statement will upset some....... but the bikes being listed (Multistrada, vereduda, GS, veestrom, etc.) it is going to compete with are not what I consider a top shelf ADV bike.

Yes people ride them in the dirt, but they are far from what a good true multi terrain bike is. I base my opinioin on seeing these bikes ridden by different levels of riders in all different terrain.

Yes I know this is constantly debated, but the only bikes I would consider really ADV bikes are the KTM 900's and 800GS. I am not a KTM fan, but they really are a great design for an ADV bike. Too bad they are constantly breaking down and needing mechanical attention. The larger GS is good as long as there are no major ground/side clearance issues. Then it is just a heavy pig that drags and scrapes and gets hung up on everything.

Hey still hoping for a NA Jap bike like the Africa Twin, KTM 900's, 800gs style and engine size.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #807
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Big Bikes!

I always get a kick out guys who want a new big Adventure bike but want to ride it on trails. Get with the program. Big Bikes are for paved roads, alot of dirt roads and some easy jeep trails. Wanta go trail riding, get yourself a light single. Quit moaning.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #808
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Pretty quick to jump ship there, wickit

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540205

Until the bike is released, who knows how Adventure-worthy it will be. Personally, I think Yamaha is developing the new SuperTen to try and grab sales away from the BMW 1200 GS/GSA. Bikes in that class are Adventure Tourers in my opinion - people take them places they don't really belong but if that makes it an adventure to them, good for them.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #809
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
You will pay full MSRP for at least the first 3-4 years because they won't make enough. A base model right around 12K.

They would have to offer up a deposit to really verify who wants one.....but then that results in the entire worry about a new model. Only way around is not screw with what they are selling in Euro....just make it NA available.
They could do a repeat of the FJR 1300 sales tactic by importing it on a special order only basis for the first year to guage interest. They initially thought there would be no market here for the FJR. How wrong they were.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #810
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Laugh

Oh no not jumping ship at all. The lovely internet/email fail to get across the message in the correct manner. I just about crapped when I saw the information, and got so excited it was happening I never looked closer. Then as I am now a few days into my fantasy the reality of what is going on and has been going on surfaces.
I guess this whole thing/bike I believed was going to be like the You Tube video. I just don't want a bike like one of the ones I mentioned. If they build one like or close to the video where the guy photoshopped some different colors on it I would buy one. I would ride mine on trails, reasonable single track, across open country, and even jump (across a 4-5' ditch, etc.) it at times not airmail off a six foot drop. We did the DV thing for over 700 miles and the 900KTM or 800gs set up ruled that type of terrain. Again only reference the 900 or 800 as the bike style, suspension, type bike that would allow the type of riding I do, but will also run 12 hours on the slab. We also ride a lot of logging, fire roads, and then run over a ridge line to get to the next trail or road. Sorry, but there are few GS bikes that could do most of the cut offs. The riders would not be the limiting factor it is the bike. They would be stuck, hung up, or wedged in place due to the bikes design. The others I listed as not wanting would do better but again their design would limit them.
I am not bailing at all and I made my phone call today and mailed my letter in with the links to the You Tube video attached. That is not someone bailing but someone who really wants a KTM/800 contender from one of the BIG 4!!!!!!!!!!!
Bottom line for me is I want/need a certain style bike, but I don't want it to be a KTM or BMW if I can get a Jap bike of similar design. Hopefully my delay this year in getting an ADV bike will work out for the better. In the mean time just dumping money into the WR. That light single red was suggesting I get.

Please don't kick me off because I would not want a bike like a Wee Strom for an ADV bike. That was humor.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!