User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #8146
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Jesses are ordered

Placed my order for Jesse Odyssey bags for the S10 today. Due for July delivery. Not cheap at $1250 but by far the tightest fit to the bike for the capacity. Yamaha has gone to great lengths to centralize mass on the S10 it just seems a shame to me spoil all that good work buy fitting bloody great honking wide bags to it. The Odysseys are the same width as the OEM bags (35.5") but with 41 liters more capacity.

Not a bad first farkle eh?

Trevor
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #8147
Dirt_Dad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Placed my order for Jesse Odyssey bags for the S10 today. Due for July delivery. Not cheap at $1250 but by far the tightest fit to the bike for the capacity. Yamaha has gone to great lengths to centralize mass on the S10 it just seems a shame to me spoil all that good work buy fitting bloody great honking wide bags to it. The Odysseys are the same width as the OEM bags (35.5") but with 41 liters more capacity.

Trevor
Not seeing it on their website yet. What all do you get for $1250? Mounts, top box...? Do tell.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #8148
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
The Odysseys are the same width as the OEM bags (35.5") but with 41 liters more capacity.
Trevor

Trevor, how does that calculate out? What is the capacity of each of the Yamaha bags versus the Odysseys?
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #8149
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,984
The Jesse decision is interesting and I see why you bought the size you did. If you have other bikes with Jesse Bags you can spec the same key number on the new bags btw. We have 3 bikes with Jesses and having them all keyed the same is really convenient

If one were to buy the widest 115 litres they would be 2.5 " wider than the stock bags and bars, I think for even longer touring trips up north you could run without a top box wih that capacity

I used to lane split on a Gold Wing so the width doesn't bother me for lane splitting but keeping the weight low and forward sees like it has some real advantages .

As a big bastard 6'4" tall all my XLT clothes, size 12 shoes etc, take up more space, my wife can take 3 times the amount of clothes I do on a trip in her side cases .

Don't ask why she takes more clothes, it just happens

Quote:

Trevor
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #8150
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Trevor, how does that calculate out? What is the capacity of each of the Yamaha bags versus the Odysseys?
This is the release they came out with a while ago - and they just posted a pic on the web site today.

http://www.xplorermoto.com/o2yamaha.html

Note they mention here 2 sizes of Safari bags, but they are producing the Odyssey first - 105l vs 64l for the stock bags, but no wider than stock. Also note to get them this narrow, passenger grab rails have to be removed. They will be making billet replacements later.

Jesse Luggage for the Super Tenere

Jesse Luggage Systems & XplorerMoto were fortunate to secure a Yamaha Super Tenere for a couple of days to get the mounts mocked up. Finishing the mock up this far in advance means Odyssey II & Safari luggage systems will be in inventory before the bikes start arriving in May/June. Both the Odyssey II & Safari bags will ride on the unique, adjustable Odyssey II mounts.

Here are a few specs: Odyssey II system capacity boasts 105 liters vs 64 liters (stock bags), but are no wider than the stock overall width of 35.5”. The 9” Safari’s offer a generous 90 liters, at 33.5” width. Our largest bag, the 11” Safari, provides 112 liters at 38” in width. Contact XplorerMoto (info@xplorermoto.com) for more info, and to reserve your place on our pre-order list. Many thanks go to the fine folks at Yamaha Sportscenter, in Longview, TX for their hospitality during our stay. Here’s a sneak peek at the progress to date.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #8151
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
Not seeing it on their website yet. What all do you get for $1250? Mounts, top box...? Do tell.
Just mounts and bags - like I said, expensive... but still $300 less than say Touratech stuff, with less width and more capacity. And no need to have "lopsided" bags.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #8152
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I'm undecided. I talked with the guys at Jesse a few days ago but price was not fixed then but said to be near the GS price. I like the tightness but hate to give up the grab rails. They won't be giving the billet ones away either. I've had Jesses before and liked them on my Strom. These look a little big on the bike and are due to the capacity. Of all the bags I've seen, I like the Trax best for looks. I know the down sides but still not decided yet. .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #8153
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,386
JDP, down side on the Trax to you?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #8154
Toompine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Can someone clue me to the differences between the Odessey and the Safari?
Toompine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #8155
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
JDP, down side on the Trax to you?
I've read that there have been some leaks, but they do come with a dry bag liner just in case. I'm not concerned about leaking but some people are. I don't carry loose clothing but usually use somekind of liner bag. There is about $400 savings going with the SWMotech side racks and Trax cases, but mainly I like the looks of them (on Wasp's bike page 30 on his pages). I won't be getting a top case since will use a seal line dry bag if needed for travel. BTW, in the various pics of the Jesse bags, they just look a bit too large for the overall looks of the bike IMHO.

JDP
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #8156
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toompine View Post
Can someone clue me to the differences between the Odessey and the Safari?
Safari bags have rounded corners, different lid design and different mounting system.

Presumably the S10 version will look similar to this - 2 sizes, one 9", 90L and one 11", 112L. The Odyssey lands in between them in capacity and width.

Also probably relevant to us... in the GS version at least, the Safari is $200 more than the Odyssey.

dcstrom screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 07:46 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #8157
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
I've read that there have been some leaks, but they do come with a dry bag liner just in case. I'm not concerned about leaking but some people are. I don't carry loose clothing but usually use somekind of liner bag. There is about $400 savings going with the SWMotech side racks and Trax cases, but mainly I like the looks of them (on Wasp's bike page 30 on his pages). I won't be getting a top case since will use a seal line dry bag if needed for travel. BTW, in the various pics of the Jesse bags, they just look a bit too large for the overall looks of the bike IMHO.

JDP
Never been a fan of the Trax bags, or any bags that are riveted together and/or rely on a lot of plastic parts, for that matter.

Here's what the Corporate Runaways found on their trip to Sth America - about halfway down this post;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=903

Trevor
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #8158
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Never been a fan of the Trax bags, or any bags that are riveted together and/or rely on a lot of plastic parts, for that matter.

Here's what the Corporate Runaways found on their trip to Sth America - about halfway down this post;

Trevor
Thanks Trevor. I misstated (sounds like a politician) the price savings. It would be about $250-275 more for the Jesses than the SWMotech siderack and Trax cases (37L left and 45L right unless powerdercoated black then $40 narrowed price). I'm still on the fence and will decide soon. I didn't think my old Jesses looked too big on my Strom but these look a bit big on the Super Tenere--maybe just optical illusion.

JDP
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #8159
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

Trevor
Thanks for posting this... It is a very good gear and parts review. I have been reading RRs and have gotten some good info from them.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8160
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Anybody know of any soft saddlebags for the Tenere?
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote