KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #8177
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,980
For a one way ride, Iron Butt Records

http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm

of documented rides show:

Trans Americas (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina)

Name Home Town Date Motorcycle
Dick Fish Cardston, AB CANADA 09/21/06 BMW R1150GS

Mileage/Days 14,423 21-D 2-H 8-M

* Guinness World Record - however they stopped keeping records on this ride in 2003

Kevin Sanders Julia Sanders (passenger) Cambridge, ENGLAND 08/18/03 BMW R1150GS 34-D 23-H 21-M

and for Prudhoe and back:

Trans Americas Challenge (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina - Round Trip)

Name Home Town Date Motorcycle
Tom Sayer Pequot Lakes, MN 01/06 Suzuki V-Strom

Mileage/Days 30,912/122

We all wish Nick the best, this is going to be exciting to watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Nick Sanders, of round-the-world-record-breaking-on-an-R1 fame, is going for another record - Prudhoe Bay and to Ushuaia AND BACK. Guess what bike he's on this time?
http://www.nicksanders.com
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112

Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #8178
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Just read that Nick is doing OK heading south from Prudhoe Bay, but during (what looks like being) a 950-mile day, his fork seals blew. Not a disaster, and this is after a quick 11,000 miles from Ushuaia to get to Prudhoe to start the record attempt. He's got a quick stop coming up to get them replaced.

The point is... this is the THIRD occurrence of leaky seals that I've heard of on the S10. That by no means constitutes a trend, but I wonder if there's a way to protect them? They look pretty exposed. Do upside-down forks collect more crap on the sliders than conventional forks? I seems like this might contribute to leaky seals. I'm at 80k miles on my Vee and it's never needed fork seals.

There might be an opportunity for the aftermarket to come up with something - not sure what, traditional rubber gaiters wouldn't work but shouldn't be rocket science to come up with some kind of plastic shield. It could bolt on via the 2 front mudguard mount bolts.

I'll be throwing a couple of fork seals in the parts kit I'm putting together for the big trip.

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 11:37 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #8179
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Just read that Nick is doing OK...
Where did you read?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #8180
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Nick Sanders, of round-the-world-record-breaking-on-an-R1 fame, is going for another record - Prudhoe Bay and to Ushuaia AND BACK. Guess what bike he's on this time?
http://www.nicksanders.com
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112

Nick has had a few problems - the fork seals being one of the least.

Dunno why this was not put on his blog but....reported in the UK MCN.

A few of the bikes on the trip were breaking down "due to riders failing to maintain" and the support vehicle was delayed as result. It was ambushed by bandits at gunpoint. The bikes on the back and the 4x4 stolen. The driver was cast adrift when the bandits realised he was English and not American.

I spoke to nick earlier this year and he said that Yamaha gave him this bike foir the trip. He had not been on one at the time. It will be interesting to see his view on return.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #8181
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Where did you read?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=694112&page=2

"News!

Just had Nick on the phone from a call box in Coldfoot.

Official start time for record ride was 05.15 local time. That's 14.15 BST.
And......fork seals just gone on bike. However it has just done 11,000 miles test ride from Ushuaia with some really tough piste, Ruta 40 and crossing the Andes 4 times on piste and across Bolivia off road......and more!
Tim at Wrights Motorcycle parts in Salt Lake City will put it 'right' I'm sure. Meantime Nick will just keep squirting in oil and keep on riding. Looking like a 950 mile day today.....more news later."
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #8182
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadRider View Post
Hi guys..

I've been lurking here for some time, falling in love with the S10 with every comment you said about the bike...well today I took my son and left a downpayment for a 3600 km (2250 miles) 2011 S10, that looks brand new

It comes with all the first edition equipment (cases, skid plate, light protection), in a beatiful blue color...next wendsday I will be able to ride it and share with you my impressions (coming from a FZ6, I think I will have a lot say...jajaj)

Bye

Jean Claude
(from Chile)
Congratulations!! 2250 miles is not even fully broken in. Enjoy it. You got the best color, too!

Blue one on order. August is just around the corner!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #8183
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=694112&page=2

"News!

Just had Nick on the phone from a call box in Coldfoot.

Official start time for record ride was 05.15 local time. That's 14.15 BST.
And......fork seals just gone on bike. However it has just done 11,000 miles test ride from Ushuaia with some really tough piste, Ruta 40 and crossing the Andes 4 times on piste and across Bolivia off road......and more!
Tim at Wrights Motorcycle parts in Salt Lake City will put it 'right' I'm sure. Meantime Nick will just keep squirting in oil and keep on riding. Looking like a 950 mile day today.....more news later."
That is some serious abuse to any bike. So we will wait and get his perspective. Ya gotta admire taking on that kind of ride. I've got some buds doing a huge ride on KLRs and have had some mechanical issues too and not as much off road as Nick.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #8184
DeadRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Congratulations!! 2250 miles is not even fully broken in. Enjoy it. You got the best color, too!

Blue one on order. August is just around the corner!
Thanks guys...these are gonna be the longest 3 days of my life...then many years of pleasure on the road....

By the end of the year i am planning my 2nd trip with friends to Bariloche, Argentina (if the volcano stops erupting)...and 2013 will be the year of my trip to Ushuaia...

If you ever come around here, do not hesitate to ask me for references on what to see or trips to make with a bike...we have all kind of climates on this long and strech country and everything is pretty close (think of 2 to 3 hours between the sea and the mountains), excelent sea food, good regulations and public services so no problem with corruption....

By the end of the week i will post photos of my beautiful Na'Vi (like Avatar guys)

cheers

JC
DeadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #8185
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Nick has had a few problems - the fork seals being one of the least.

Dunno why this was not put on his blog but....reported in the UK MCN.

A few of the bikes on the trip were breaking down "due to riders failing to maintain" and the support vehicle was delayed as result.

The support vehicle also broke down.

Tough trip so far.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #8186
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Was talking about Nick's leaking fork seals earlier and wondering if there was a way to protect them a bit on the S10..

Duh! in the off-road world there are a ton of options for this. Now just have to find something that will fit the S10. Not sure which would be more suitable - "fork skins" as protection for the seals, or these plastic guards that protect the entire leg? Fork skins probably, plus they would be easier to fit. The legs already have fairly decent protection with the way the mudguard wraps around them.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #8187
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Was talking about Nick's leaking fork seals earlier and wondering if there was a way to protect them a bit on the S10..

Duh! in the off-road world there are a ton of options for this. Now just have to find something that will fit the S10. Not sure which would be more suitable - "fork skins" as protection for the seals, or these plastic guards that protect the entire leg? Fork skins probably, plus they would be easier to fit. The legs already have fairly decent protection with the way the mudguard wraps around them.
To fit the fork skins you have to get the forks dismounted but are well suited to protect them ... I'm working on a fiber and carbon protection 'a la Worldcrosser'.
Will inform on progress.
Cheers,
Roberto
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #8188
Braun2332
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I put about 60 miles on one of these last week. Nice bikes, pretty comfy, and boy are they flickable. They seem to handle pretty well actually, better in the slower section vs long sweepers but nevertheless...over all good handling bike.

Some wind buffeting at highway speeds 75mph +. Great torque range, 3.5k rpms's is the sweet spot up to about 8k. I could tell a difference in the suspensions settings touring/sport.

Transmission seemed pretty tight, but will probably break in more as it breaks in.

This bike will be competitive in the market...
Braun2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #8189
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
To fit the fork skins you have to get the forks dismounted but are well suited to protect them ... I'm working on a fiber and carbon protection 'a la Worldcrosser'.
Will inform on progress.
Cheers,
Roberto
I ain't putting no foreskins on me bike . But if'n I did I hear whale foreskins work amazingly well. OHhhhh fork skins---nevermind .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #8190
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Will inform on progress.
Cheers,
Roberto
Great Roberto, will be looking out for it. Not sure why covers would need to be quite as elaborate as on the Worldcrosser though? Seems they got a bit overtaken by styling, rather than just making it purely functional. KISS I say...

dcstrom screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 03:10 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote