Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #8281
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpresco2 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew what type of grease I should use on the rear wheel drive hub splines?

I got some Molybdenum grease from the local auto parts store - it says it is suitable for drive shaft splines - but I thought I might check with the collective brains here. I trust you guys a lot more than the pimply youth that served me at the shop.....

(Hope this does not turn into an "oil" thread.....)

Thanks

Ken.
According to the service manual, the rear wheel drive hub should be lubricated with lithium soap based grease. The rear wheel drive hub I'm referring to is item 2 on the following diagram.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #8282
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Trouble starting

I've been back from my ride around Australia for two weeks now and it has been that long since I started the bike. I went out to fault find my broken Oxford heated grips and fiddle around for a few minutes with the ignition on before I thought it best to start the bike so I didn't drain the battery.

Engine turned over but wouldn't start. Checked voltage and it was reading 12.6 volts loaded, which meant it was marginal but would likely have read more than 12.8V disconnected which should have been enough. I kept cranking it over and after a minute or so it fired every now and again, but still would not start. Cranked it over off and on for another few minutes but still nothing.

It was time to change the spark plugs anyway, so I pulled off the air box in preparation and tried starting it again, to no avail. Changed the spark plugs (pain in the ass undoing/redoing the restraining bolts!), put it all back together and tried starting again. Nothing. The old plugs were wet with fuel from repeated cranking, but otherwise looked fine.

The fact that it had cranked for probably 5 minutes all up since I tried starting the bike, I figure the battery must have been OK after all. Nonetheless, it was starting to struggle turning the engine over, so I hooked up jumper leads to my son's car. More enthusiastic cranking, but again nothing.

In a last desperate attempt, I opened the throttle up full before hitting the started and she coughed into life, spluttering pulsing white smoke for the next five minutes while it warmed up. Took it for a test ride and rode it like I stole it and all was fine. Revved it in the garage and no more smoke. Bike now starts no problems.

What the heck would have caused this?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #8283
Don in Lodi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
That was a "clear flood" trick you used. I dunno, is it possible the injectors were letting fuel through while you fiddled with the broken electrical? Does the pump stay on till the battery is dead? Probably don't want to just sit there with the key on any more. That was definitely a flooding scenario you described.
Don in Lodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #8284
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
It wouldn't be the first time that has happened to someone after sitting for a while.

I can see a minor trend.

Mention it to your dealer and see if they have heard of it.

If they don't sell many ring around a bit.

But sounds like injectors injecting while sparks plugs not sparking for some reason.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #8285
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Odd. Mine sits for weeks with no attention then fires up just fine.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #8286
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It wouldn't be the first time that has happened to someone after sitting for a while.

I can see a minor trend.

Mention it to your dealer and see if they have heard of it.

If they don't sell many ring around a bit.

But sounds like injectors injecting while sparks plugs not sparking for some reason.

Cheers
Graham
I a lurker on this thread...wasnt there a post on one of the s10 threads where this very thing happened...maybe a low voltage thing ?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #8287
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Lodi View Post
That was a "clear flood" trick you used. I dunno, is it possible the injectors were letting fuel through while you fiddled with the broken electrical? Does the pump stay on till the battery is dead? Probably don't want to just sit there with the key on any more. That was definitely a flooding scenario you described.
Why would a modern bike flood like that? Admittedly, I've had a similar thing happen before when I started the bike successfully but it died when I put it into first because the sidestand was still down (doh). Crank it over and it would not start, but go WOT and crank it and it starts right away. I didn't try this this time because it never started the first time. Again, why would a modern bike flood like that on first start?

Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #8288
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
Why would a modern bike flood like that? Admittedly, I've had a similar thing happen before when I started the bike successfully but it died when I put it into first because the sidestand was still down (doh). Crank it over and it would not start, but go WOT and crank it and it starts right away. I didn't try this this time because it never started the first time. Again, why would a modern bike flood like that on first start?
Could it have been a combination of fiddling with it over the grips and then haveing not tried the WOT starting thing, it just compounded the issue by pumping more fuel in that was not being burned whilst you were fiddling with the plugs etc.

As I am sure you already know but all FI vehicles pump more fuel into a cold engine than normal so the situation just compounds itself and wet plugs allow the spark to arc along the ceramic instead of across the gap.
In the old days we would just turn the choke and the fuel tap off but that cannot be done with FI systems.

I could of couse be talking rubish but in any case it's good to know the WOT method works.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #8289
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Why would a modern bike flood like that?
I don't know but modern cars do it too. My wife has managed it a few times, but that is usually a combination of starting it with the foot half buried on the throttle and then dumping it in gear and flooring it on a cold morning.

Cough, cough, flood.

Leave it for 15 minutes and all is OK. WOT doesn't even save it initially. You just have to leave it alone for a while.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #8290
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I've learned something new and if it happens again I hopefully I won't have to fluff around as much to get it to start.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #8291
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Thanks guys. I've learned something new and if it happens again I hopefully I won't have to fluff around as much to get it to start.
Glad you have it sorted. You probably know this, but just in case, I'll mention that most modern FI'ed bikes (S10 included) are designed to be started, hot or cold, with a completely closed throttle. You only do the WOT trick if you think the bike is flooded.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #8292
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Nick Sanders has updated his blog

http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/parallel_world.html

They've turned off tracking at the moment, but as of this morning he was in central Mexico.

Tires seem to be an issue - he wore one to the cords and had to make an unscheduled stop to get it changed, and after leaving Salt Lake City where the bike had a service, he now has FIVE tires on board...

Trevor
Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #8293
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Nick Sanders has updated his blog

http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/parallel_world.html

They've turned off tracking at the moment, but as of this morning he was in central Mexico.

Tires seem to be an issue - he wore one to the cords and had to make an unscheduled stop to get it changed, and after leaving Salt Lake City where the bike had a service, he now has FIVE tires on board...

Trevor
Those Conti Attacks are good tyres but not realy for what he is doing with them. Then again, no tyre is designed to be ridden almost 100 % in the centre.
Good to see the bike can be serviced even before they get them in the US. The service parts also fit several other Yamahas. Thats the beauty of the bike, its easy in all respects.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #8294
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

The Super Tenere certainly has an appetite for rear tyres on long flat roads. My last one only lasted 10 000 kms and Nick is doing 5 x that.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #8295
kpresco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The Trail Attacks certainly outlast the Tourance EXP's - I got 10000 k on my EXP rear tyre.

The trail attack I have on now has done 11500ks - and probabaly has 3-4000 k more left in it - but I will be replacing it this week due to a puncture...

Ken
kpresco2 is offline   Reply With Quote