Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #8296
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpresco2 View Post
The Trail Attacks certainly outlast the Tourance EXP's - I got 10000 k on my EXP rear tyre.

The trail attack I have on now has done 11500ks - and probabaly has 3-4000 k more left in it - but I will be replacing it this week due to a puncture...

Ken
How are the Trail Attacks on gravel roads?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8297
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
The Trail Attacks certainly outlast the Tourance EXP's.
There are so many variables involved in tire life, one cycle of a tire really doesn't constitute enough data to say much of anything about how long they'll last.

My overall take is that Tourances continue to be about the highest mileage tire in this genre.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #8298
GOBBOMAI
GOBBOMAI

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
That is a great looking bike and set up. That white is really nice but not an option for us in the USA. Do you have any idea what rack that is on the rear of the bike? It sure looks good for strapping on a dry bag etc.

JDP
You can find all the works of that bike (panniers, rear rack etc etc) on the www.clubtenereitalia.it forum, at this post

Work In Progress...by Tosco60!!

http://www.clubtenereitalia.it/viewt...046450#7046450

The nickname of the guys is TOSCO60 and he produce and sell a lot of works for the ST1200...........
GOBBOMAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #8299
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

My overall take is that Tourances continue to be about the highest mileage tire in this genre.

- Mark
Right - but that's old Tourance, not the EXP's (that will come stock on our S10's, if they don't come with Battlewings). Apart from mileage, performance everywhere else is "average or below average".
Old 06-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #8300
kpresco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
There are so many variables involved in tire life, one cycle of a tire really doesn't constitute enough data to say much of anything about how long they'll last.

- Mark
Mark you are correct and I should have qualified my statement by saying it was only my opinion - it is however an opinion formed after having run both tyres on an S10.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Tourance is a great tyre, but for my riding style and budget, I think the Trail Attacks suit me better.

Ken.
kpresco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #8301
kpresco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How are the Trail Attacks on gravel roads?
The rear is OK - have not had the front on all that long, so I really can't comment on it just yet.

Ken.
kpresco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #8302
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the Tourance is a great tyre, but for my riding style and budget, I think the Trail Attacks suit me better.
By all reports, the TA's are a good tire. I'm just saying that if mileage is what you're after, my money is on Tourances (apparently not the EXPs) lasting the longest. It's the tire I'm going to be putting on my S10 if I'm going on a long trip and need to stretch the tire mileage to avoid a mid-tour tire change.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #8303
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
I got 9000 to 10,000 miles out of rear Tourances on my GS. Lots was 2 up on dirt. Seemed pretty good to me. Kept the new Tourances I just put on the GS before a deer totaled it. I'm told they'll fit my Tenere. Hope so. Have been impressed with Tourances. Have seen no real need for knobbies other than deepish mud & sand.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #8304
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta25 View Post
no,but the next week my gsa is ready and i go to athens to buy the s10...i hope that good bike...

take a look in my bike problem

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry buddy... I had a BMW, never again. My XT1200Z is good no problems, every day it rides better.

Not sure what Yamaha warranty service is like because of the 4 Yamaha's I've had none had any problems. BMW warranty is BULLSHIT, basically if the bike doesn't work at all it may have a problem otherwise "Sorry can't fault it, it's all to specification".

Here I setup http://www.badmotorworks.com in honour of my BMW experience... feel free to send your story to rayone2.3456@blogger.com it's anonymous and it appears immediately.

raybies screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 05:53 AM
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #8305
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,467
There've been a few FJR issues and while it took Yam a while to figure out a couple and develop fixes, they did it. What we've seen is that Yamaha goes very quiet while they work furiously behind the scenes. Suddenly, fixes get announced. We're going through this now for a grounding problem in Gen2 bikes (2006-present).

Heck, the ticking valve seat issue for Gen1 still gets fixes as a warranty issue, even though the newest of those bikes is a 2005! Compare that to BMW and Harley responses, even for items possibly still in warranty.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #8306
colorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
We're going through this now for a grounding problem in Gen2 bikes (2006-present).
I guess I need to spend more time on the FJR forums so I will know when I have a problem!!
Loveland, Colorado ~ USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #8307
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
There've been a few FJR issues and while it took Yam a while to figure out a couple and develop fixes, they did it. What we've seen is that Yamaha goes very quiet while they work furiously behind the scenes. Suddenly, fixes get announced. We're going through this now for a grounding problem in Gen2 bikes (2006-present).

Heck, the ticking valve seat issue for Gen1 still gets fixes as a warranty issue, even though the newest of those bikes is a 2005! Compare that to BMW and Harley responses, even for items possibly still in warranty.
Yeah, I've got an 08 and didn't have any grounding issues, but I did a $50 grounding harness overhall just as a preventive measure. Yamaha probably has come up with a fix also by now, but I didn't wait on that. It was a pretty simple fix made by one of the great minds on the FJR forum. I've got about 48,000mi. on my FJR and no issues. I expect the XT1200Z to be the same.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #8308
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
Sorry buddy... I had a BMW, never again. My XT1200Z is good no problems, every day it rides better.

Not sure what Yamaha warranty service is like because of the 4 Yamaha's I've had none had any problems. BMW warranty is BULLSHIT, basically if the bike doesn't work at all it may have a problem otherwise "Sorry can't fault it, it's all to specification".

Here I setup http://www.badmotorworks.com in honour of my BMW experience... feel free to send your story to rayone2.3456@blogger.com it's anonymous and it appears immediately.
What he said. Had 2 BMWs.Never again. ST1100s , FJRs were great bikes. Beemer RT(new) was friggin disaster as was the "service". Will look at the above links. My GS's replacement on the way--Tenere. Better days ahead.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #8309
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,094
Check you PM's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBOMAI View Post
Hi guys, greetings from Italy

This mine just to show you the best panniers I've seen since now for our ST 1200 . You can mount them on the original Yamaha attacks

The manufacturer is an Italian Yamaha Dealer and they just make an agreement with Yamaha Europe related to the sales .

In the last page of this post of the Clubtenereitalia forum you can find the pictures (post 430)

http://www.clubtenereitalia.it/viewt...045399#7045399

Tosco60 is the nick of the producer and http://www.motoshopyamaha.com/News/ is the dealer . He made these panniers in every colour........... I've just ordered them in ALU color with black top.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #8310
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
What he said. Had 2 BMWs.Never again. ST1100s , FJRs were great bikes. Beemer RT(new) was friggin disaster as was the "service". Will look at the above links. My GS's replacement on the way--Tenere. Better days ahead.

+ 1000000000!!!!

In over 300K miles of riding spread between 1 Yamaha and 3 Hondas (PC800, ST1100, ST1300) the only time any of the bikes went to a dealer was for major services (valve adjustments or tires). I did not have a single mechanical or electrical failure, or warranty issue.

Until I owned a BMW ('09 800 GS) I never considered the possibility that I would be walking, flying, renting a car, or hitching a ride to get back home from a weekend trip. I also didn't know anything about warranty claims or 30+ day waits for backordered warranty replacement parts. Most importantly, until I owned a BMW, I had never been the cause of so many problems on a motorcycle - the dealer almost always told me that whatever was wrong with the bike was because of something I had done.

I guess I should be grateful to BMW for introducing me to this new way of thinking, for broadening my horizons, and for giving me more colorful stories to tell.

Chris

Blue S10 on order
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote