Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #8311
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Right - but that's old Tourance, not the EXP's (that will come stock on our S10's, if they don't come with Battlewings). Apart from mileage, performance everywhere else is "average or below average".
I'm planning on mounting Heidenau K60s as soon as the original tires on the S10 are worn out. I got just short of 20k miles on the first set of K60s I ran on my 800 GS, and still had plenty of tread left. Pics at post 13 on the 800 riders forum - http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/52600-Looking-for-Aggressive-Tire-Options

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with these tires on an S10. Not expecting quite the same mileage since its a heavier bike.

Wasp - weren't you running these for a while?

Chris

Blue S10 on order
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #8312
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,403
The Tourances and the Trail Attack are both good tyres, but they are designed for slightly different purposes so they cannot realy be compared together. The TA has very little open tread and will be completely useless on mud but good on road whereas the Touarances will to some degree better on loose/dirty surfaces but as it has less rubber on the road it will likely wear quicker.

Genereally, the less the rubber in contact with the road the quicker it will wear obviously. Both tyres will have the same overall footprint but with less rubber actually in contact with the road the bearing pressure on the actual rubber is greater and will wear quicker unless it is a hard compound which will be rubbish in the wet.

At the end of the day it is down to how you ride.

I have had a set of TCK80s on my S10 for 5,500 miles and the rear has now had it. The same tyres were taken off my old GSA where they did a further 1000 miles. Most people get a lot less from the TCKs but most of my riding is 2 up so hard acceleration and breaking are rare.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #8313
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Anybody run knobbies on GSs or Teneres? 2 up,maybe? I've wondered what kind of mileage you get out of them. I never used'em on big bikes .....yet, because knobbies just wear out too fast on my smaller dirt bikes when used on asphalt. Be buying tires every 3rd coffee stop. But in sand & mud they make sense. Thanks.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #8314
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
Anybody run knobbies on GSs or Teneres? 2 up,maybe? I've wondered what kind of mileage you get out of them. I never used'em on big bikes .....yet, because knobbies just wear out too fast on my smaller dirt bikes when used on asphalt. Be buying tires every 3rd coffee stop. But in sand & mud they make sense. Thanks.
Read the post above yours
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #8315
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Read the post above yours
I did read it.That's what prompted me to ask the question about knobbie longevity. That post was one guy's experience under his riding conditions with his brand of tyre. All that varies,ya noed. Any others? jus asking,sport. I have wondered it about because there are times I wish I had knobbies on the bike. Happens to all of us,I spose. Not an uninteresting question to lots of dual sporters,I'd guess.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #8316
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
That post was one guy's experience under his riding conditions with his brand of tyre. All that varies,ya noed. Any others?
No experience with dirt(ier) (or any!) tyres on an S10 (natch), but had several Shinko 705's on my Vee now - love 'em. Especially now that the radial versions don't disintegrate! They don't last that long (4000 miles or so on the rear, about 3 times that on the front), but they are so good, and so cheap, I don't care. $150 for the set. I have a set ready to go on the S10 (if I don't wear out the one on the Strom first!).

The other tyres I want to try on the S10 are the Hidenau K60's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...443958&page=52
Availability (in the US) has been an issue, but that situation seems to be improving now. They are nearly double the price of the Shinkos, but according to many reports, should go more than double the miles. We'll see!

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 07:44 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #8317
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

I had extremely good luck with the K-60s. They were easily the best thing I had on my 800 GS. I bought the tires from Heindl Engineering and Basin Motorcycle Works. Shipping was quick, and pricing was in line with the few other dealers that had the tires.

Basin Motorcycle Works will even store a set for you and mount them for something like $20 if you time your tire replacement on a trip through their neck of the woods. I haven't taken advantage of this service yet, but definitely will when I ride the S10 to Prudhoe Bay next year.

Anyone have any experience with running the 140 size rear instead of the 150 on the S10? The 140s seem more readily available.

Chris
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #8318
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
+ 1000000000!!!!

In over 300K miles of riding spread between 1 Yamaha and 3 Hondas (PC800, ST1100, ST1300) the only time any of the bikes went to a dealer was for major services (valve adjustments or tires). I did not have a single mechanical or electrical failure, or warranty issue.

Until I owned a BMW ('09 800 GS) I never considered the possibility that I would be walking, flying, renting a car, or hitching a ride to get back home from a weekend trip. I also didn't know anything about warranty claims or 30+ day waits for backordered warranty replacement parts. Most importantly, until I owned a BMW, I had never been the cause of so many problems on a motorcycle - the dealer almost always told me that whatever was wrong with the bike was because of something I had done.

I guess I should be grateful to BMW for introducing me to this new way of thinking, for broadening my horizons, and for giving me more colorful stories to tell.

Chris

Blue S10 on order
Well put. Our experiences mirror one another. Know what I notice going back to jap bikes from beemers? I enjoy the ride. Am not worrying about impending bike problems. Dealer & manufacturer wars.Enjoy the scenery again. Hurry up, Tenere.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #8319
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Well put. Our experiences mirror one another. Know what I notice going back to jap bikes from beemers? I enjoy the ride. Am not worrying about impending bike problems. Dealer & manufacturer wars.Enjoy the scenery again. Hurry up, Tenere.
Youse guys are lousy Kool Aid drinkers!! All those things are a part of the "Character" of the bikes and a part of the roundel club . It wouldn't be the same if the owners didn't have those things to talk about . Seriously, I would have had a BMW in the stable by now if perceived or real reliability was there (well maybe not with the high cost and lack of dealer proximity).

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #8320
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
Youse guys are lousy Kool Aid drinkers!! All those things are a part of the "Character" of the bikes and a part of the roundel club . It wouldn't be the same if the owners didn't have those things to talk about . Seriously, I would have had a BMW in the stable by now if perceived or real reliability was there (well maybe not with the high cost and lack of dealer proximity).

JDP
I was willing to sip, but found the Kool Aid sour. When it was running right, the 800 GS was easily the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

The lack of dealers was a very serious issue for me - when something goes wrong, it is generally a long way to a BMW dealer. Just about any town with a population over 2000 seems to have at least one Honda or Yamaha shop.

Chris
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #8321
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post

JDP
Gud'n. Yeah, Kool Aid makes me sick. Always did. Sail2xxs said his beemer dealer blamed everything on him. My new RT's brake pedal went verticle. Dealer(different state) couldn't fix it.Told me it was because of my "anatomy". That's what he said. I said I hear anymore of that,I'll stick my German anatomy foot up his arse. True story. 1st chapter in a long book. Tome,even. Title it ,"Tales of Kraut Woe". I told a few of the tales on GSPOT section. Pissed EVERYBODY off. But the GS1200 I had WAS a great bike on-off road....when it worked.Truth hurts. But truth will set you free. Hurry up,Tenere.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #8322
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Gud'n. Yeah, Kool Aid makes me sick. Always did. Sail2xxs said his beemer dealer blamed everything on him. My new RT's brake pedal went verticle. Dealer(different state) couldn't fix it.Told me it was because of my "anatomy". That's what he said. I said I hear anymore of that,I'll stick my German anatomy foot up his arse. True story. 1st chapter in a long book. Tome,even. Title it ,"Tales of Kraut Woe". I told a few of the tales on GSPOT section. Pissed EVERYBODY off. But the GS1200 I had WAS a great bike on-off road....when it worked.Truth hurts. But truth will set you free. Hurry up,Tenere.

They're just being "sauer krauts". Two of my three friends who bought BMW cars are now driving a Lexus. The third drives a dealer loaner almost as much as he gets to drive his own car. Almost 14 years later, I'm still driving the same Toyota Tacoma. At 360K+ miles, it has never broken down, and is still on the original clutch. We have all agreed NOT to talk about cars after the 4th beer.

I don't want or need "character". I want and need reliability. This becomes more important the further I get from "civilization", which, in my mind, is the whole point of adventure riding!

Chris

sail2xxs screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 10:55 AM
Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #8323
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
They're just being "sauer krauts". Two of my three friends who bought BMW cars are now driving a Lexus. The third drives a dealer loaner almost as much as he gets to drive his own car. Almost 14 years later, I'm still driving the same Toyota Tacoma. At 360K+ miles, it has never broken down, and is still on the original clutch. We have all agreed NOT to talk about cars after the 4th beer.

I don't want or need "character". I want and need reliability. This becomes more important the further I get from "civilization", which, in my mind, is the whole point of adventure riding!

Chris
So true. And if reliability isn't an ESSENTIAL & huge part of "character",what is? In both bikes & people. Hurry up,Tenere.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #8324
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,358
Guys, could we drop the incessant BMW vs. Jap bike bashing and get back to the topic? It's been discussed a thousand times over in other threads - both sides have made their points.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #8325
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Guys, could we drop the incessant BMW vs. Jap bike bashing and get back to the topic? It's been discussed a thousand times over in other threads - both sides have made their points.

- Mark
Sorry! You're right.

We were talking about tires before.... - anyone have comparative experience running a 140 vs 150 rear on the Tenere?

Chris