Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #8326
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
Sorry! You're right.

We were talking about tires before.... - anyone have comparative experience running a 140 vs 150 rear on the Tenere?

Chris
I believe Wasp has run both sizes - some discussion over on his thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

can't tell you where to find it! but the thread is worth going through if you haven't read from page 1 before
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #8327
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Guys, could we drop the incessant BMW vs. Jap bike bashing and get back to the topic? It's been discussed a thousand times over in other threads - both sides have made their points.

- Mark
And the topic IS ??? jus wondereds,all.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #8328
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,457
Panniers!

AND...contemplating tidy dash setup. (HDB top clamp, Warm N Safe Heat Troller for it, Ram ball with mirror eyelet)...other ideas for tidy minor farkle.

That's what's rolling through my head right about now.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8329
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

OK how's this for on-topic?

Nick Sanders in his latest blog post, written at the Guatemalan border (where he was held up for 8 hours), after riding from Prudehoe Bay over the last 9 days. Talking about the Super Tenere;

"I put 250mls of oil into the bike and set off. This bike is so tight. I never had reservations, just didn't know of what it was capable. It is more than tight; it is taut, like a piano string. It is a thoroughbred of a bike dressed in quiet clothing. It has a sense of understatement, as if to say, 'can I really do this?' but my God it can. My understanding of what this machine can do has been up-ended by the experience it has given me. It is superb. It will be a world beater. "

I think somehow this bike will be "good enough" don't you?

Trevor

PS When he says "worldbeater" I think that can safely be translated to "BMW beater".... But enough of that!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #8330
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
OK how's this for on-topic?

Nick Sanders in his latest blog post, written at the Guatemalan border (where he was held up for 8 hours), after riding from Prudehoe Bay over the last 9 days. Talking about the Super Tenere;

"I put 250mls of oil into the bike and set off. This bike is so tight. I never had reservations, just didn't know of what it was capable. It is more than tight; it is taut, like a piano string. It is a thoroughbred of a bike dressed in quiet clothing. It has a sense of understatement, as if to say, 'can I really do this?' but my God it can. My understanding of what this machine can do has been up-ended by the experience it has given me. It is superb. It will be a world beater. "

I think somehow this bike will be "good enough" don't you?

Trevor

PS When he says "worldbeater" I think that can safely be translated to "BMW beater".... But enough of that!
Yeah boy. I was off to buy another stinkie GS(& cancel the Tenere) the morning my Yammy dealer called about the August(rather than November) delivery dates for the Tenere. Was saved by maybe 20 minutes. Somebody up there likes me. Whew! Gonna LOVE this Yamaha . Gosh, I was lucky. This bike just keeps sounding better & better.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #8331
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
Yeah boy. I was off to buy another stinkie GS(& cancel the Tenere) the morning my Yammy dealer called about the August(rather than November) delivery dates for the Tenere. Was saved by maybe 20 minutes. Somebody up there likes me. Whew! Gonna LOVE this Yamaha . Gosh, I was lucky. This bike just keeps sounding better & better.
you are both lucky and ........a....a sucker for punishment. We have learned on another thread that Sanders is a big self promoter and has a way of embellishing the facts. Since Yamaha supplied him the bike I suspect his rhetoric is a litlle over the top.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #8332
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
you are both lucky and ........a....a sucker for punishment. We have learned on another thread that Sanders is a big self promoter and has a way of embellishing the facts. Since Yamaha supplied him the bike I suspect his rhetoric is a litlle over the top.
Yes that's quite likely but... being a self-promoter is a part of being in the business he's in. He wouldn't be able to do a lot of the stuff he does otherwise. So, take what he says with a grain of salt, sure, and Yamaha did supply the bike so of course he's going to say nice things if he wants another in the future. In the end though the bike still has to perform, and AFAIK it has been perfect so far, except for leaky fork seals. Don't forget it had already been South to North before he turned it around and started the record attempt.

Trevor
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #8333
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Yes that's quite likely but... being a self-promoter is a part of being in the business he's in. He wouldn't be able to do a lot of the stuff he does otherwise. So, take what he says with a grain of salt, sure, and Yamaha did supply the bike so of course he's going to say nice things if he wants another in the future. In the end though the bike still has to perform, and AFAIK it has been perfect so far, except for leaky fork seals. Don't forget it had already been South to North before he turned it around and started the record attempt.

Trevor
As for the fork seal problem.
He has been riding non stop and has hardly had a chance to clean the bike. In fact he was disapointed when they did clean it whilst is was being serviced.
Its not surprising that the seals have gone. Few of us would do that kind of mileage without cleaning the crap off many many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Or he could just be telling the truth... Stranger things have happened.

I spoke to nick before this trip and he had never even sat on an S10. He was asking me what they were like. And yes, he is full of himself but he is still the fastest man to circumnavigate the world on any bike. He has done this many times and ON HIS OWN. You need to have a special kind of dogged personality to do that. Probably not one that everyone would like.

On top of that he does this for a living and needs to promote himself. When was the last time you bought toothpaste or aftershave that you did not see advertised on TV with girls falling over themselves for the actor ?
Promotion is all about embellishment but at then end of the day, all he has done to the bike is put 250ml of oil in the engine and blown a set of fork seals in about 24,000km.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 06-15-2011 at 05:45 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #8334
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,457
I like my topics better.

Sounds like you guys just started another debate.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #8335
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
250 mL oil? Troll food! It's an oil burner. Synthetic? Regular Rotella T? Which filter?

On a very serious note, I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out which bash plate to start saving for.

The general consensus seems to be that the Yamaha plate is too light duty. Past personal experience makes me hesitant to use a bashplate that mounts to the sump, though I guess it's got to mount to something up front, and the engine is the only option (unless using the Rumpax integrated setup?)

I've been trying to get information on the Hepco Becker plate, which seemed to have the best solution (according to H3B? - what happened to him?) from his Intermot show visit.

Am I right in thinking that the rear of the AltRider and Hepco Becker plates both use the footpeg mounts in some way? What about the front of the plate? All the bracketry has me a bit worried. Also (with no intentions of turning this into an oil thread!) which is easier to remove for oil changes?

Thanks,

Chris
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #8336
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
Am I right in thinking that the rear of the AltRider and Hepco Becker plates both use the footpeg mounts in some way? What about the front of the plate? All the bracketry has me a bit worried. Also (with no intentions of turning this into an oil thread!) which is easier to remove for oil changes?

Thanks,

Chris
SW-Motech fits into this same catagory as it also mounts via a pressed cross piece to the frame both sides at the rear.

Greg
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #8337
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
As you can see by their manual:

Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8338
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

Still mounts to the sump up front though? or are these set up somehow that they can't damage the engine the same way the OEM one can?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8339
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Question

[QUOTE=sail2xxs;16170239]250 mL oil? Troll food! It's an oil burner. Synthetic? Regular Rotella T? Which filter?

1/4 of a quart since Salt Lake City (normal for other brands) where the service was done, my other Yamaha's would not use oil between oil changes. I wonder how this bike was broken in, if it was fired up and run on the freeway for days or if the proper break in was followed. I think proper break in is important to seat the rings properly. I guess I will find out when mine comes in 2 months. Still if that's all he's added since then, no big deal.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8340
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

Wow, looks like 8 bolts need to come out so you can get to the filter for an oil change

With the miles I do it will become a pain pretty soon
Looks like I will be making a little mod to the unit to add a few more bolts just so I can get the filter out
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote