Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #8356
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm View Post
By the book filter change only every 2nd service and add these http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...ve-Yamaha.html to make life quicker and less messy.

Cheers Rick
No thanks. Quick drains can be good on an airplane but not on a motorcycle. I've seen branches and such lodge under these and dump the oil.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #8357
MADDOG5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
No thanks. Quick drains can be good on an airplane but not on a motorcycle. I've seen branches and such lodge under these and dump the oil.
That would be my worry as well, I love the concept, but not sure I could get past something protruding from the bottom like that.

Wreckchecker, saw your note about Tengai body work! Brought back fond memmories as my college roommate freshman year (and lifelong cycle trip buddy) had a Tengai. They were an odd one back then, but sure dont hear much about them now days!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #8358
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
When I tried to open that link for the service manual I get "no result". Do you think it has been closed off?

JDP
JD, when I clicked on the link it did not open, but started the download. It is a PDF..

Try the smaller parts file. Click on that and wait until it should be done and it will open on your screen, then save the file.
That's how it worked for me. HP/win7
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #8359
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
Told me it was because of my "anatomy".
Read this http://www.badmotorworks.com/2010/07...y-bike-of.html for some comical relief.

PS: Reading/posting about BMW vs Everyone never gets boring for me... what else do ya wana talk about, sump plugs?!
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #8360
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Tyres: Seen a lot of posts about Turance, Conti Trails... has anyone tried or got an opinion of the Michelin Anakee 2's?
http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...moreProduct/38

I've always had a soft spot for Michelin and the reality is a ride my XT like a naked.
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #8361
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
Tyres: Seen a lot of posts about Turance, Conti Trails... has anyone tried or got an opinion of the Michelin Anakee 2's?
http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...moreProduct/38

I've always had a soft spot for Michelin and the reality is a ride my XT like a naked.
Have them on the Strom, The front was on when I bought it. It's still there 12,000K later. The rear was put on 6,500K ago and is starting to look a bit "flat" in the middle, but that's all so far.

Feel a bit "squishy" after the Pilot Road 2 Rear, but all OK. Handles fine road and dirt.

I am a brisk, but smooth rider, not a tear arse. Your mileage may vary.

Give 'em a Go I reckon.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #8362
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
... has anyone tried or got an opinion of the Michelin Anakee 2's?
I have used Anakee (10k kms), and Anakee 2 (10k kms so far, and counting) on the rear of my TDM850. I have found it suitable for gravel and seal. In combination with the Sirac on the front, it's ideal for what I do.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #8363
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
JD, when I clicked on the link it did not open, but started the download. It is a PDF..

Try the smaller parts file. Click on that and wait until it should be done and it will open on your screen, then save the file.
That's how it worked for me. HP/win7
Great, it worked this time. Thanks.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #8364
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Read this http://www.badmotorworks.com/2010/07...y-bike-of.html for some comical relief.

PS: Reading/posting about BMW vs Everyone never gets boring for me... what else do ya wana talk about, sump plugs?!
Agreed. Looked at your link about "Bad Motor Works"............where they make Big Mistakes on Wheels(bmw). A hoot. Sent it all over hell. Thanks.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #8365
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
One S10 available at Romney WV

I'm at Romney Cycles WV right now, just finished riding 2 Super Teneres (but that's a different story - short summary - a better V-Strom, exactly what I'm looking for).

Romney Cycles had one cancellation, so get in touch if you want/need it. Ask for Larry and tell him Trevor sent you. Good deal and good people.

Trevor
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #8366
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I'm at Romney Cycles WV right now, just finished riding 2 Super Teneres (but that's a different story - short summary - a better V-Strom, exactly what I'm looking for).

Romney Cycles had one cancellation, so get in touch if you want/need it. Ask for Larry and tell him Trevor sent you. Good deal and good people.

Trevor
Trevor, I loved both the 1000 and 650 V-Stroms and felt they were the most comfortable LD bikes evar (well I did find Corbin seats helped a bunch). I wanted ABS and a bit more technology, so what you are saying makes me glad too. With all it has on it, it would be hard for Suzuki to make a V-Strom with all that on it at that price I'm thinking.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #8367
grZack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Can it fit for me?

hello Everyone,

I'm new here, read 1000ds of posts with regards to the S10 here in advrider.com. I really-really appreciate the contribution.
I have a stupid question. I ride a 2006 FZ6n (highly customized) but now I a thinking about to buy something which is bigger and the most important thing is to have shaft drive instead of chain...
I immediately started to look after GS/GSAs, but I have a big problem with these BIG bikes. I AM SHORT, which means these are too high for me. My hight is 5"3 (160 cm) [don't laugh] . Question: Can the XT1200Z fit for me somehow? There is a factory available lowered & narrowed seat drops -35mm. There are "dog bones"/low links which can drop additional 25-40 mms OR Hyperpro spring set, also dropping 40 mm both on front and rear side.

Thanks for the reader & sorry for my english.
grZack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #8368
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by grZack View Post
hello Everyone,

I'm new here, read 1000ds of posts with regards to the S10 here in advrider.com. I really-really appreciate the contribution.
I have a stupid question. I ride a 2006 FZ6n (highly customized) but now I a thinking about to buy something which is bigger and the most important thing is to have shaft drive instead of chain...
I immediately started to look after GS/GSAs, but I have a big problem with these BIG bikes. I AM SHORT, which means these are too high for me. My hight is 5"3 (160 cm) [don't laugh] . Question: Can the XT1200Z fit for me somehow? There is a factory available lowered & narrowed seat drops -35mm. There are "dog bones"/low links which can drop additional 25-40 mms OR Hyperpro spring set, also dropping 40 mm both on front and rear side.

Thanks for the reader & sorry for my english.
You can get a lower seat and lowering links. Will fit most people fairly well.
I would definitely try before you buy though. It's a good thing but if it's too big it's too big.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #8369
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post

Trevor
Hmmm, what kind of deals are they working out now on the S10?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #8370
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedikker View Post
Hmmm, what kind of deals are they working out now on the S10?
You'll have to ask Larry, but assuming the same deal he's been doing all along, $12295 otd.