Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #826
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
All any of the Japanese manufacturers would have to do is .......

take two of their 450 enduro thumpers top ends put into a 6 speed V-Twin
Gas Tank that carries the fuel low with a capacity of 4.5 gallons
Stretch out the frame as required and add .5-1" to the swingarm
Put dual discs on the front
Reduce the suspension travel to 10.5" both ends.
Sturdy subframe on it with some mounting holes for luggage
Install a sturdy rear rack with some mounting holes
Heavy duty alternator with two accessory outlets prewired.
Heated grips stock
Simple fairing that blocks enough wind so you aren't forced to death grip the bars while cruising at 85mph.

If you were to get a bit more complicated you could do a 800cc version with a 21" front wheel and ready to ride weight of no more than 365lbs.... msrp of $10,500 for those interested in real adventure
a 1000cc version with 19", ABS, and a frame mount fairing that tops out at 420lbs. MSRP $12,500.... for those that spend most of the time on a real road venturing onto gravel 10-25% of the time.

Down the road they can do a 1200cc tire shredding gas guzzler for the Starbucks crowd.....

Kawasaki has done well with their KLR over the years with it having earned a large following. I think a similar bike with a bit more oomph and better suspension/brakes would have the same success.....a KLRV???
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #827
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,283
Japanese not listening

Japanese manufacturers are not listening!
They are credited with more efficient production yet they have been unable lately to evenbring to market sensibly cheaper machines than the European makers.
I am pretty sure the new SuperTenere will be nowhere near the KTM 990 in terms of any-terrain capability, low-weight and crash-worthiness and might be even more expensive.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #828
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,879
My Bet is 19 inch!

More sales with a 19 inch. Look at GSs versus KTM Advs. Not sure what sales are North America versus Europe but 19 inchers are bigger sellers on Big Trailies overall. Real dirt guys prefer the 21s but money talks and Yamaha is going after BMW GS1200 sales, if they're smart.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #829
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat
Kawasaki has done well with their KLR over the years with it having earned a large following. I think a similar bike with a bit more oomph and better suspension/brakes would have the same success.....a KLRV???
It already exists, Suzuki's Vstrom series, briefly even as a Kawasaki with the rebadged Kawasaki KLV1000. As much as they're loved, they're no more than the "KLR's of adventure tourers", only without antiquated chain driven balance shafts.

I'm all for Yamaha making a strong competitor to BMW's successful GS series and won't expect it to be priced any differently, such as their highly regarded FJR model.

You want cheap, buy Chinese, Korean, Russian or an Enfield...
And I'll take a DR650, any day of the week over a KLR.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #830
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
It amazes me how many of you guys dreams are exactly the KTM990 Adventure, 950SE, or the 950SMR - yet you think of some reason for not buying one!!

Furthermore, you fantasize that if these dreams were made by the Japanese all shortcomings would vanish!

Look at the quality and componentry used by KTM and other European manufacturers - it is top notch.

Let's face it - a 1200CC bike is a road bike except in the hands of the top 1% of riders. And even for those guys it is a handful and not much fun. Look at the Dakar riders complain that the 690 is big and heavy compared to a nimble 450.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #831
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
It amazes me how many of you guys dreams are exactly the KTM990 Adventure, 950SE, or the 950SMR - yet you think of some reason for not buying one!!

Furthermore, you fantasize that if these dreams were made by the Japanese all shortcomings would vanish!

Look at the quality and componentry used by KTM and other European manufacturers - it is top notch.

Let's face it - a 1200CC bike is a road bike except in the hands of the top 1% of riders. And even for those guys it is a handful and not much fun. Look at the Dakar riders complain that the 690 is big and heavy compared to a nimble 450.
Yet Jbird,
The overall cost and upkeep ofthe KTM's are higher than most and the availability of parts are somewhat limited. For those who are true mechanics, this might not be a consideration but for those of us less mechanical, .....
(my girlfriends wore buttons as zippers confuse me) The displacement is of no concern as the overall attributes of the bike play too much an important role. KTM, good as they may be, does not have the total answer for that.
I still ride a 1000cc V-Strom and find it acceptable fo adventure riding. Maybe not Dakar like stages but for a bike which I ride from home to the ends, I feel it serves its' purpose. You can all talk of weight, and all the shortcomings of the heavier bikes, but for those of us who "RIDE" our bikes from the beginning to the end, better read the small print.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000

Thumpercrazee screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 09:36 AM
Thumpercrazee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #832
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Bird man I totally agree with you. What I want and everyone I talk to wants is a KTM 900 series built by a Japanese company. Here is why I don't want a KTM in any form as simply as I can say it.

THE KTM'S FUCKING BREAK DOWN AND HAVE CONSTANT MECHANICAL PROBLEMS!!!!!!!

I base my opinion on personal experience, friends, ADV Rider, Thumper Talk, and others. I also don't have the time or does anyone want to read the continual list of shit that KTM's have go wrong. I will just give you the last one a friend had recently. The nut on the clutch side of the crank came loose on a 530. Ever heard of that on a Jap single? I NEVER have!

Yeah the KTM's have quality add on parts....but they still way too many serious/not serious issues for a bike that I would want to ride.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #833
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,879
My 06 950 Adventure!

Ran like a clock. Not 1 problem for 2 years and 30,000kms. Most fun I ever had. XR 650R on steroids. Sold it before I killed myself on it. Made me do crazy stuff and constantly push the ragged edge. So I got a not so fun but great GS1200. Not so crazy anymore. A Jap version of a KTM would be great though, as long as it had decent suspension, which it probably won't. Drive the price up too high.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #834
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Ok..Ok...I have to concede and probably clarify. Yes there are those who have no "problems" with KTM's. The issue is who and what determines a problem. I know a lot of KOOL AID DRINKERS who don't think the following are problems. To each their own but these are problems to me.

When my foot peg falls off for no other reason then I was riding the bike that is a problem. When the shock bolt falls out and ruins the swing arm in the process that is a problem. When the kick starter bolt falls out and strip the shaft that is a problem. When the output shaft seal lasts only about a year that is a problem. When the fuel pump will go out randomly that is a problem. When you have to make multiple modifications to a new bike in order to make it reliable that is a problem.

My experiences are that KTM's have considerably more issues then Japanese bikes across all "problems".

To give KTM's a positive they have incredible HP and suspension for ADV style bikes.

Ok I've beat this dog almost to death.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #835
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
I will just give you the last one a friend had recently. The nut on the clutch side of the crank came loose on a 530. Ever heard of that on a Jap single? I NEVER have!
typical on the drz too.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #836
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
When is the XTZ1200 available for test rides?
Heard April or June, any idea?
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #837
mr moto OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust
When is the XTZ1200 available for test rides?
Heard April or June, any idea?
No news from Yamaha yet , but the euro bike press is saying june 2010 .
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #838
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
This thread is a riot. "My non-existent motorcycle is more reliable than your motorcycle".

When Yamaha has actually built and mass produced a large adventure tourer with the features and technology that this class (R1200GS, 990 Adventure) demands these days - and the bikes have been thrashed for a few years - in the way Adventure Riders are thrashing KTMs and BMWs, then we can talk. Until then, this is fantasy land. FWIW I hope that Yamaha does produce and have success with this bike. I won't be buying one, because my last Yamaha experience was a nightmare, but more choices in the segment are always better than less.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #839
mr moto OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
The latest teaser bloody pointless update .....JUST SHOW US THE BLOODY BIKE WILL YA !!!!!!
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/super-tenere/
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #840
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,154
I pray for long suspenssions, please Yamaha , give us at least 250mm travel on forks&shock , ...............better 265mm