ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #8431
pretbek
Studly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

(I'm a medieval reenactor and stunt fencer)
That has got to be one of the most rare and also cool jobs of all inmates.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #8432
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
This are the mounting points of the plate:

By the way, some cool data about the mileage. With my bike reaching 10K Km it's effiency is rising. Also note the wind influence with such big bikes. On this weekend trip to work (I'm a medieval reenactor and stunt fencer) I've done 400km, medium tail winds, fully loaded bike with GF on the back, average 115km/h, average 4,7l/100km. On the secound part of the trip, same 400km, medium to strong head winds, same load, average 140/150km/h, average 7l/100km.
Now the susprise, last part, 80km, little to no wind, same load but no GF, average 80km/h, 4,1l/100km
Sounds like the GF needs her own bike.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #8433
jdpower
Studly Adventurer
 
jdpower's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
Thanks Rema! Anyone have direct experience with this plate? I'm not having any luck finding install diagrams. It would be nice if it required less than 8 fiddly bolts to change the oil.

Chris
I'm thinking I looked at the Hepco Becker plate once and saw it was about $125 more than the SWMotech and more than $200 than the Givi. I guess if I wanted to spend that kind of bucks, I'd go for the Altrider plate.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #8434
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
I'm thinking I looked at the Hepco Becker plate once and saw it was about $125 more than the SWMotech and more than $200 than the Givi. I guess if I wanted to spend that kind of bucks, I'd go for the Altrider plate.

JDP
This is weird - the HB plate is almost $100 cheaper in AUSTRALIA than it is in the US. That almost never happens...

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...product_id=631

http://www.amotostuff.com/super_tenere/810-4531.html


Must be something to do with strong aussie dollar/weak US$, but that seems like not enough to account for the difference. At around US$280 (the Australian price, converted after removing tax) I'd be a lot more interested in this skid plate...

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #8435
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Edgewater, Md
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
This is weird - the HB plate is almost $100 cheaper in AUSTRALIA than it is in the US. That almost never happens...

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...product_id=631

http://www.amotostuff.com/super_tenere/810-4531.html


Must be something to do with strong aussie dollar/weak US$, but that seems like not enough to account for the difference. At around US$280 (the Australian price, converted after removing tax) I'd be a lot more interested in this skid plate...

Trevor
Trevor,

You gave me a brief moment of hope! Unfortunately, the link you put up for the aussie site is for the engine guard (crash bars). They call the skid plate a sump guard:
http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...roduct_id=2317

and charge the same as in the US. From reading Wasp's thread, shipping might be a killer too....

Chris
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #8436
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
Trevor,

You gave me a brief moment of hope! Unfortunately, the link you put up for the aussie site is for the engine guard (crash bars). They call the skid plate a sump guard:
http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...roduct_id=2317

and charge the same as in the US. From reading Wasp's thread, shipping might be a killer too....

Chris
Ah crap - thanks for picking that up. I was starting to scheme about how to get one. I'm meeting rellys from Perth in Bali later this year, thinking someone could bring one in their suitcase... along with some Wasp stuff of course!

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #8437
Chadx
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Yeah Thagua over on Wasps thread fitted them
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1702
but said he had to do some mods to get them to fit
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1704
I'd be interested in them if they had a kit for the S10 - anybody have a contact at HDB?
Hi guys,
I've exchanged a couple posts with some of you but thought I'd post up some of my comments for the masses information.

I posted, in Wasp's thread, asking Thagua if he used the standard HDB handguards or the beefier and longer Ultimate guards. By looking at his photos, he had a pair of standards which would naturally be much too short for a big bike with bar end weights, etc. I don't foresee any reason why the Ultimates won't fit. For various BMW with bar end weights, Paul sells an package that includes the Ultimate handguards and new bar end weights. I imagine he'll get his hands on a Super Tenere fairly quickly and see what needs done to mount on the stock bars.

Personally, when my bike comes in, I'll ride it for a bit to determine what, if any, bar bend changes I want then order up Protaper bars of that flavor, HDB Ultimate guards and top clamp. I'll determine then if the bar end weights stay or go or are replaced with replacement bar end weights that Paul comes up with or I just do the anti-vibe bar end inserts. Until Paul gets a bike in hand, the only thing we'll have to go by is those overseas and as of yet, Thagua is the only one to mount HDB handguards and, as mentioned, those appear to be the much shorter standard version since he said they were several inches too short and he rigged some Acerbis bar clamps to secure the inside end to the bars.

If anyone with the bike "in garage" orders up some Ultimate handguards and a top clamp (100x38/40mm is the correct size), it would be great to hear about. 15% off coupon lasts until the end of June. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679142
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #8438
jdpower
Studly Adventurer
 
jdpower's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
Trevor,

You gave me a brief moment of hope! Unfortunately, the link you put up for the aussie site is for the engine guard (crash bars). They call the skid plate a sump guard:
http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...roduct_id=2317

and charge the same as in the US. From reading Wasp's thread, shipping might be a killer too....

Chris
For my type of riding that will not be quite as adventurous as wasp and bargenator, I think the SWMotech stuff will work OK for me. I'd prefer the HB or Altrider but don't want to spend close to $700 for both those two parts. I got some new Micatechs in with roof racks recently so have to parcel out my farkle bucks more now .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #8439
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Edgewater, Md
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
For my type of riding that will not be quite as adventurous as wasp and bargenator, I think the SWMotech stuff will work OK for me. I'd prefer the HB or Altrider but don't want to spend close to $700 for both those two parts. I got some new Micatechs in with roof racks recently so have to parcel out my farkle bucks more now .

JDP
I'm in the same boat from a farkle buck parcelling standpoint, but fully expect to do some riding similar to Wasp and Bargenator... hopefully minus interactions with the trees!

My thought is to ride the bike in stock form until I wear out the OEM tires. By that time, I expect to have roughly 12K on it, and will have a really good idea of what is *needed*, and what is *wanted*.

Chris
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #8440
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ze_zaskar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: 4117'51.59"N / 843'56.76"W
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
That has got to be one of the most rare and also cool jobs of all inmates.
Yep, it's a cool thing to do if one has a passion for history and martial arts. And keeps me entertained while I finish my mechanical engineering degree

Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #8441
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,143
And on the coast of Portugal no less! Enjoy it!
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #8442
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...
 
Thagua's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 326
Not Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Hi guys,
I've exchanged a couple posts with some of you but thought I'd post up some of my comments for the masses information.

I posted, in Wasp's thread, asking Thagua if he used the standard HDB handguards or the beefier and longer Ultimate guards. By looking at his photos, he had a pair of standards which would naturally be much too short for a big bike with bar end weights, etc. I don't foresee any reason why the Ultimates won't fit. For various BMW with bar end weights, Paul sells an package that includes the Ultimate handguards and new bar end weights. I imagine he'll get his hands on a Super Tenere fairly quickly and see what needs done to mount on the stock bars.

Personally, when my bike comes in, I'll ride it for a bit to determine what, if any, bar bend changes I want then order up Protaper bars of that flavor, HDB Ultimate guards and top clamp. I'll determine then if the bar end weights stay or go or are replaced with replacement bar end weights that Paul comes up with or I just do the anti-vibe bar end inserts. Until Paul gets a bike in hand, the only thing we'll have to go by is those overseas and as of yet, Thagua is the only one to mount HDB handguards and, as mentioned, those appear to be the much shorter standard version since he said they were several inches too short and he rigged some Acerbis bar clamps to secure the inside end to the bars.

If anyone with the bike "in garage" orders up some Ultimate handguards and a top clamp (100x38/40mm is the correct size), it would be great to hear about. 15% off coupon lasts until the end of June. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679142
Well,someone had to do the 'guinea pig' and even though the standard hand guards I got are way too short to be bolted to the top clamp as the instructions said (for a WR450 maybe), I managed to install them with the Acerbis bar clamps and a piece of aluminum bar ... the top clamp was installed and then removed when I installed the ROX risers with dampening ... maybe if I send back the top clamp HDB will send me the ultimate Hand Guards with the proper fittings for our Super Tenere's ... dreams sometimes are fulfilled.
Cheers,
Thagua
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #8443
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Still mounts to the sump up front though? or are these set up somehow that they can't damage the engine the same way the OEM one can?
On the SW-MOTECH skid plate the forward mounts have rubber insulators that will fail in a traumatic hit. They will effectively break away and save the motor.
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #8444
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
On the SW-MOTECH skid plate the forward mounts have rubber insulators that will fail in a traumatic hit. They will effectively break away and save the motor.
Hmm looking forward to somebody (else!) testing that theory.

Wasp, you have an SW Motech right? Get out there and find some big rocks and bounce your engine off them!
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #8445
Wasp
Supa10 pilot
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Hmm looking forward to somebody (else!) testing that theory.

Wasp, you have an SW Motech right? Get out there and find some big rocks and bounce your engine off them!
Nah.. The past has taught us that rocks and ZT1200Z engine cases dont play well together, so I try to avoid them as mush as pos..

Greg.
__________________
The original WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933
The NEW "Long Term" WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014