ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #8521
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
Nick Sanders made it to Ushuaia 17 hours outside the record time. Border crossings and snow slowed him down, sounds like not a single problem with the bike - unless you count the front end being tweaked after being hit by a scooter in Ecuador...

Looks like we'll be seeing how the S10 does on snow tires on the trip back!

I arrived in Ushuaia at 4.30 this morning and hit 50 kms of snow over the mountains which took me 5 hours to complete. I head planted into the side of the road and broke a bone in my foot, can't walk on my left foot, but as I'm on a bike it doesn't matter. Keep it in the boot and it'll be fine. Big snow coming so I have found an amazing workshop and expert moto crosser and he is fitting snow tyres with studs for tommorow. Will cope with a foot of snow, should make good pictures for the Super Tenere.
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #8522
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolftrax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns Ga.
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiivee View Post


Super Ténéré is certainly a great bike but it lacks that something what makes it special. I'm not convinced that I should spend that kind of a money for what it is.
I know exactly how you feel. I've had one on order since September.

I've taken three test rides and each time have walked away with "nice bike, I like it. " I have yet to get the stupid grin and "WOW".

Yet I persist and patiently await it's arrival. I do this because almost to the one, owners report the longer you ride it better it gets. It does whats asked of it with no drama and reliability. That's enough for me to wait.
__________________
2014 Honda CRF250L
2013 Husky TR 650
1990 KLR650
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #8523
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer
 
Rema in Paluda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
I've taken three test rides and each time have walked away with "nice bike, I like it. " I have yet to get the stupid grin and "WOW".
Then you better buy a Miltstrada...

The S10 is an Adventurers biken, not a bike Adventure...

Its linguistic very close but a word apart, if you want toe have an Adventure with the bike buy an BMW, it will be a real Adventure, like rockclimbing without ropes, will you get ther? God only Knows.

But if your aan Adventurer in the sense of travel to parts unknown (well that will be quote an Adventure to find an Unknown place these days) then the Sensible choice is the Tenere, its al about Sense and Sensability, not about Fear and Adrenaline
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #8524
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I've had one on order since September.

I've taken three test rides and each time have walked away with "nice bike, I like it. " I have yet to get the stupid grin and "WOW".

Yet I persist and patiently await it's arrival. I do this because almost to the one, owners report the longer you ride it better it gets. It does whats asked of it with no drama and reliability. That's enough for me to wait.
Are you gonna give it longer than you did the Tiger before deciding to sell it? How long was that brief ownership experience anyway?
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #8525
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Touring the Americas
Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
The only function a beak *has* is to be ripped off at the first natural discovery...

There are allready a few different BMW indoctrinated beaks on the market, but as its origonal (DR-Bgig) it ruins a bikes profile, its a Bike not a Penguin
And who would want a good new bike, look like an old second rate one. ;-)

BTW another poor sod on a GS had to be towed off the UK Horizons Unlimited meet last weekend due to a dead fuel pump .
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #8526
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolftrax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns Ga.
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Are you gonna give it longer than you did the Tiger before deciding to sell it? How long was that brief ownership experience anyway?
Touchette! The Tiger was the single most impulsive thing Ive ever done. I wanted my Tenere and I wanted it NOW. After the earthquake I figured the Tenere would never reach the US. I figured the Tiger would fill the bill. It didnt. My old KLR does a better job of meeting my driving style than the Tiger. Hoping the S10 will be the 21st Century KLR Im looking for. If not i guess it'thump, thump, thump to the grave.
__________________
2014 Honda CRF250L
2013 Husky TR 650
1990 KLR650
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #8527
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolftrax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns Ga.
Oddometer: 333
[QUOTE=Rema in Paluda;16281752]Then you better buy a Miltstrada...

The S10 is an Adventurers biken, not a bike Adventure...

Its linguistic very close but a word apart, if you want toe have an Adventure with the bike buy an BMW, it will be a real Adventure, like rockclimbing without ropes, will you get ther? God only Knows.

But if your aan Adventurer in the sense of travel to parts unknown (well that will be quote an Adventure to find an Unknown place these days) then the Sensible choice is the Tenere, its al about Sense and Sensability, not about Fear and Adrenaline [/QUOTE

I ride a KLR, believe me I know the difference.
__________________
2014 Honda CRF250L
2013 Husky TR 650
1990 KLR650
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #8528
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982
 
switchback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
The only function a beak *has* is to be ripped off at the first natural discovery...

There are allready a few different BMW indoctrinated beaks on the market, but as its origonal (DR-Bgig) it ruins a bikes profile, its a Bike not a Penguin

Thank you for saying it.
__________________
David

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #8529
Animo
Beastly n00b
 
Animo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Playa del Carmen
Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I've had one on order since September.

I've taken three test rides and each time have walked away with "nice bike, I like it. " I have yet to get the stupid grin and "WOW".

Yet I persist and patiently await it's arrival. I do this because almost to the one, owners report the longer you ride it better it gets. It does whats asked of it with no drama and reliability. That's enough for me to wait.
You will not be disappointed, believe me. The Tenere will show you qualities that you had no idea bikes could have, time and time again. Hang in there. One thing is a little "test ride", another is riding your bike the way you ride YOUR bike.
__________________
Life is good, even in adversity!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #8530
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer
 
Rema in Paluda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot
You will not be disappointed, believe me. The Tenere will show you qualities that you had no idea bikes could have, time and time again. Hang in there. One thing is a little "test ride", another is riding your bike the way you ride YOUR bike.
Well certain people *will* be very disapointed though, because it somehow seams to rob you of almost all those adrenaline spiking "Oooow Shit" moments, where mu trusty old beemer and espaccially my XT500 totally loose there composure offroad, or on graded Tarmac (were the grind longitudinal grooves in it) the S10 just doesn't seem to notice the ridges, not even in corners, it just deals with the problems itself, instead of putting it onto the handlebarwrestler...

And where the Beemer and XT660Z get into wild pogo-ing ofroad because the backwheel jumps around all sides when hitting a angled ridge, the S10 feels like a DS, yeah now i think of it, thats the best analogy, the S10 is an Offroad capable DS.
ANd it really is like riding a goddess, soft warm dependable and omnipotent !
For them not knowing the Citroën DS ("la Deesse", meaning "the Goddess") was a car with hydraulic suspension, which made riding very plush, *without* the wobbling of Plush cadiddylacs, just like the S10 makes the ride plush without the numb fussyness of the telelever...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
And who would want a good new bike, look like an old second rate one. ;-)

BTW another poor sod on a GS had to be towed off the UK Horizons Unlimited meet last weekend due to a dead fuel pump .
Nah, that just means, there was no GeeSzer with tooling knowledge, pop the bonnet of the pump, put a paperclip on the right connectors and the *stupitronics* are bridged, and the pump gets into service again...
Dont they read ADV's hall of wisdom anymore, those creditcarded people ???

Rema in Paluda screwed with this post 06-30-2011 at 01:20 AM
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #8531
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT
 
pirate63's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: brisvegas,oz
Oddometer: 443
Electrical question
Just pluged my new bike pump into the aux socket and it blew the 3amp fuse,i put a5amp in and it blew that, i had a look on the pump box and it says run on a 10/15amp fuse. Would it be ok to put that size fuse in or should i just clip the pump to battery and just use the aux socket to run a gps and the like
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #8532
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT
 
pirate63's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: brisvegas,oz
Oddometer: 443
Just found the answer,keep the dash socket to 3/5 amp for gps use andwire up a separeat fuse and wire rated socket for the pump
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #8533
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolftrax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns Ga.
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Well certain people *will* be very disapointed though, because it somehow seams to rob you of almost all those adrenaline spiking "Oooow Shit" moments, where mu trusty old beemer and espaccially my XT500 totally loose there composure offroad, or on graded Tarmac (were the grind longitudinal grooves in it) the S10 just doesn't seem to notice the ridges, not even in corners, it just deals with the problems itself, instead of putting it onto the handlebarwrestler...

And where the Beemer and XT660Z get into wild pogo-ing ofroad because the backwheel jumps around all sides when hitting a angled ridge, the S10 feels like a DS, yeah now i think of it, thats the best analogy, the S10 is an Offroad capable DS.
ANd it really is like riding a goddess, soft warm dependable and omnipotent !
For them not knowing the Citroën DS ("la Deesse", meaning "the Goddess") was a car with hydraulic suspension, which made riding very plush, *without* the wobbling of Plush cadiddylacs, just like the S10 makes the ride plush without the numb fussyness of the telelever...





Nah, that just means, there was no GeeSzer with tooling knowledge, pop the bonnet of the pump, put a paperclip on the right connectors and the *stupitronics* are bridged, and the pump gets into service again...
Dont they read ADV's hall of wisdom anymore, those creditcarded people ???
This is what I want to hear. Exactly the qualities I'm looking for. Thanks Rema
__________________
2014 Honda CRF250L
2013 Husky TR 650
1990 KLR650
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #8534
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer
 
Tee Dee Mmm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Karalee
Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
The only function a beak *has* is to be ripped off at the first natural discovery...

There are allready a few different BMW indoctrinated beaks on the market, but as its origonal (DR-Bgig) it ruins a bikes profile, its a Bike not a Penguin
Welcome Back
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #8535
Jetjock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Leicestershire UK
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Well certain people *will* be very disapointed though, because it somehow seams to rob you of almost all those adrenaline spiking "Oooow Shit" moments, where mu trusty old beemer and espaccially my XT500 totally loose there composure offroad, or on graded Tarmac (were the grind longitudinal grooves in it) the S10 just doesn't seem to notice the ridges, not even in corners, it just deals with the problems itself, instead of putting it onto the handlebarwrestler...

And where the Beemer and XT660Z get into wild pogo-ing ofroad because the backwheel jumps around all sides when hitting a angled ridge, the S10 feels like a DS, yeah now i think of it, thats the best analogy, the S10 is an Offroad capable DS.
ANd it really is like riding a goddess, soft warm dependable and omnipotent !
For them not knowing the Citroën DS ("la Deesse", meaning "the Goddess") was a car with hydraulic suspension, which made riding very plush, *without* the wobbling of Plush cadiddylacs, just like the S10 makes the ride plush without the numb fussyness of the telelever...


+1

My R1200GS is up for sale
Jetjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014