Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #8581
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Is that a decal or what on the windscreen? I always look over the screen so wouldn't matter if mine was decorated up like that. I'm not sold on the wheel rim decoration yet though.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #8582
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
The softness of the edges of the y logo it will be a special peint job i think, itsa verry complicated contour to get a decal so faultles over the edge of the screen all aroud.
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #8583
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Over on GSpot "thehomealien" seems to think he has a problem with his final drive;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1

But the consensus is that this amount of rumble is normal from the GS final drive with the bike running on the centerstand. I know a certain amount of drive lash is normal in shaft drive bikes, and I've had something similar on my airheads when idling in gear. But only at very low revs, anything just above idle it would smooth out

It would be interesting for someone to get a video of the S10, idling in gear on the centrestand, just for comparisons sake, y'know... Anyone up for it?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #8584
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Over on GSpot "thehomealien" seems to think he has a problem with his final drive;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1

But the consensus is that this amount of rumble is normal from the GS final drive with the bike running on the centerstand. I know a certain amount of drive lash is normal in shaft drive bikes, and I've had something similar on my airheads when idling in gear. But only at very low revs, anything just above idle it would smooth out

It would be interesting for someone to get a video of the S10, idling in gear on the centrestand, just for comparisons sake, y'know... Anyone up for it?

Gee, sounds like someone is shaking a can of bolts I hope the S10 doesn't sound like that
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #8585
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Dang! That poor thing is in need of a Doctor...
My coffee grinder sounds better than that. lol At least it is a constant grind. lol
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #8586
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
mine rumbles while running on the centrestand..
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #8587
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Well thats really unfair to the bike, the GS has a 6,5 cm free play on its final drive, so if you don't tip in a wee bit ofrear brake the engine will give the rearwheel a hurtle, and then when that speeds down again give the transmissiondamper a whack, thats what you hear, but if he just puts his little finger on the rear brake, all that whacking and rattling will vanish.

Don't knowwhat the S10 will do without a little rearbrake damping, i presume it will be a little bit better because it has a real oldfashioned cushdrive, *and* a rubberdriveshaft coupling, but if thats a bit elderly could also make the wheel hustle and bustle, allthough not with such metallic clancking. Will have a look into it tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #8588
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Lots of bikes, both chain drive and shaft drive, make this sort of racket when running on the centerstand in gear. As stated previously, the engine may get in resonance with the driveline lash and cause awful noises that never occur in normal operating conditions. I don't know if the S10 is better or worse, but it's really a stupid test because it tells you nothing about how the bike runs under normal loads. You're operating it in a way it was never designed to be run so strange things happen.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #8589
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
lots of bikes, both chain drive and shaft drive, make this sort of racket when running on the centerstand in gear....
- mark
+1

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #8590
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Lots of bikes, both chain drive and shaft drive, make this sort of racket when running on the centerstand in gear. As stated previously, the engine may get in resonance with the driveline lash and cause awful noises that never occur in normal operating conditions. I don't know if the S10 is better or worse, but it's really a stupid test because it tells you nothing about how the bike runs under normal loads. You're operating it in a way it was never designed to be run so strange things happen.

- Mark
Also if the traction control is not switched off it causes the engine to hunt increasing the backlash rattles.
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #8591
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
There's no load on the rear wheel so of course it's going to jump around and make a racket when on the centre stand. Mine does it too, but no worse than my Wee Strom did, just a different sound due to shaft versus chain.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #8592
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thumb some "free play"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Well thats really unfair to the bike, the GS has a 6,5 cm free play on its final drive, so if you don't tip in a wee bit ofrear brake the engine will give the rearwheel a hurtle, and then when that speeds down again give the transmissiondamper a whack, thats what you hear, but if he just puts his little finger on the rear brake, all that whacking and rattling will vanish.

Don't knowwhat the S10 will do without a little rearbrake damping, i presume it will be a little bit better because it has a real oldfashioned cushdrive, *and* a rubberdriveshaft coupling, but if thats a bit elderly could also make the wheel hustle and bustle, allthough not with such metallic clancking. Will have a look into it tomorrow.
You got that one down, young man.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #8593
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
I love the hair splitting! Tends to detract from the real benefit of this bike: Reliability! I don't think most serious riders give a hoot about the small stuff.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #8594
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
I love the hair splitting! Tends to detract from the real benefit of this bike: Reliability! I don't think most serious riders give a hoot about the small stuff.
Well perhaps i'm not serious enogh a rider with only 32 years of XT riding (~45k a year) but to me de details are essential.

And Yamaha is one of the few manufacturers that looks at the details too, take any bike offroad and hit the ABS, the S10 will really scare the shit out of most riders, you really have to go and hang in the front brake to even trigger it, and when it then regulates, its really well behaved.

They have tuned it really hairsplittingly secure, while the first off road ABS adventure, was quite hairsplitting or should i say Hair*grey*ing, when my girl tried to hit the brakes on grass, and nothing whatsoever hapenned...

But this was a question of rattle in the machine, i've made two clips so you can hear the difference.

Poor gearbox being maltreated

Damped out the slack almost entirely (brake is to hefty so the engine protests)

Sorry they aren embeded, thougt lets try the Picasa Video, but can't get the link to embed, or play in Youtube itself ?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #8595
Arktus
on XTzy!

Oddometer: 90
Found that today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEqJs...e_gdata_player

Was new to me. Nice Idea of the Yami-guys.

Greetz

Arktus

Now playing: Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Ténéré, Legendary XRV750 Africa Twin RD07
Arktus is offline   Reply With Quote