Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #8626
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,708
Pdp...

~

I don't know about other Yamaha PDP deliveries in different years, but back in 2006 I ordered up an FJR1300 via the PDP, and was scheduled to get one of the very first in the USA. Oddly enough, the delivery date on those 2006 FJR's slipped... and slipped... and the bikes came a couple of months late, ostensibly because of a supply issue having to do with a subcontractor supplying the bags.

Anyway, despite my living in South Texas, and Yamaha having a Texas warehouse, my '06 FJR1300 came directly from the California warehouse, arriving off the truck with a direct bill of lading from California to my dealer in Texas.

Given the apparently small numbers of Super Tenere's coming to the USA it would not surprise me to see something simialr here - i.e. all of the USA S-10's coming out of the California warehouse and POE.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #8627
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
choosing crashbars

Well it really is getting near time I made a decision on a few things. Tossing up between the SW-Motech and Hepco Becker crash bars.

H&B have a bar joining the two sides, the SWM doesn't but bars come up higher and cover more of the tupperware. Price is roughly the same. I haven't seen a definitive answer on ease of access to remove side panels with the SWM, but the H&B would definitely be no problem.

Does anyone have the H&B and do you have some experience of whether or not they provide enough coverage? Better still, have you crash-tested them!?

The SW Motech bolts at 3 locations on each side.

I like these R&G Racing bars from the UK. They are similar to the SWM but preserve the stock plastic bumper. Anyone who's seen edog200's crash test video knows that this bumper alone can be quite effective in saving the bike in a road crash (might be different on dirt).

They are distributed by Twisted Throttle in the US but they don't have any and don't appear to have plans to get any... bummer.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #8628
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Given the apparently small numbers of Super Tenere's coming to the USA it would not surprise me to see something simialr here - i.e. all of the USA S-10's coming out of the California warehouse and POE.

Dallara

~
It's sad that Yamaha is only doing it this way, they have no confidence in the US market

In the mean time BMW, Ducati, KTM, Triumph and even Moto-Guzzi with the NTX are all going after the adventure market and have bikes in showrooms

Except for Yamaha
If it wasn't for the reports from Wasp and others in Europe there's no way I would order a bike without being able to at least sit on it and have a feel for weight, ergonomics and overall looks

So, thanks guys, I hope I will not be disappointed
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #8629
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
~

Dallara

~
That could happen and I hope that you are correct, as mine is one of the first ordered. However, when I check on YDS, it says mine will go to the Chicago warehouse.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #8630
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,708
Warehouses...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post

That could happen and I hope that you are correct, as mine is one of the first ordered. However, when I check on YDS, it says mine will go to the Chicago warehouse.

I understand, and currently my dealer's computer says mine will come out of the Dallas, TX warehouse...

But that's where the computer said my '06 FJR was coming out of, too, the entire time it was on order right up to when it was delivered off the truck to my dealer's doorstep.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #8631
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,117
i would expect the same thing. all bikes off the boat and in cali storage. then all bikes on trucks asap across the us. truck teams can long haul across the us in 2 days. not saying that teams will be used but yamaha knows it needs this bike in the hands of owners asap for this riding season. as each dealer probably is getting 1 to 3 bikes on average, trucks will be loaded and delivered regionally w/ the potential for the east coast ones to come in via teams.

Quote:
~

I don't know about other Yamaha PDP deliveries in different years, but back in 2006 I ordered up an FJR1300 via the PDP, and was scheduled to get one of the very first in the USA. Oddly enough, the delivery date on those 2006 FJR's slipped... and slipped... and the bikes came a couple of months late, ostensibly because of a supply issue having to do with a subcontractor supplying the bags.

Anyway, despite my living in South Texas, and Yamaha having a Texas warehouse, my '06 FJR1300 came directly from the California warehouse, arriving off the truck with a direct bill of lading from California to my dealer in Texas.

Dallara

~
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #8632
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
w/ the potential for the east coast ones to come in via teams.

Can I be part of a team I will fly to California
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #8633
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
~

I understand, and currently my dealer's computer says mine will come out of the Dallas, TX warehouse...

But that's where the computer said my '06 FJR was coming out of, too, the entire time it was on order right up to when it was delivered off the truck to my dealer's doorstep.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see...

Dallara

~
i'm bet that was the original plan as the bikes would move with other yamaha bikes and then go out...thus it's still in the computer this way.
logistics have changed since the tsunami and yamaha is in a race with this one. yamaha has alot at stake making this bike successful in the us.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #8634
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Well it really is getting near time I made a decision on a few things. Tossing up between the SW-Motech and Hepco Becker crash bars.

H&B have a bar joining the two sides, the SWM doesn't but bars come up higher and cover more of the tupperware. Price is roughly the same. I haven't seen a definitive answer on ease of access to remove side panels with the SWM, but the H&B would definitely be no problem.

Does anyone have the H&B and do you have some experience of whether or not they provide enough coverage? Better still, have you crash-tested them!?

The SW Motech bolts at 3 locations on each side.

I like these R&G Racing bars from the UK. They are similar to the SWM but preserve the stock plastic bumper. Anyone who's seen edog200's crash test video knows that this bumper alone can be quite effective in saving the bike in a road crash (might be different on dirt).

They are distributed by Twisted Throttle in the US but they don't have any and don't appear to have plans to get any... bummer.

Keep in mind that the SW-MOTECH bars replace the PLASTIC bar with a STEEL tube. We have seen edogs video and in that particular crash on pavement the plastic bar did an excellent job. I doubt I would trust this bar to replace a steel bar in most cases though.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #8635
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
i just hope you don't expect to be the first one to get it in your hands as it's not gonna work that way now.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #8636
eakins
Butler Maps

is there a consensus as to where the bars should be protecting?
up high or down low? yamaha is protecting lower, whereas most aftermarket is going high. what part really hits 1st? the best looking bars i've seen are the yamaha one with an upper that bolted to it for top to bottom protection. anyone tried to use yamaha's bars (lower) and then see if other high mounts ones will fit together? i like the quality of construction of alt rider stuff http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...00z/pcid/600-1 there video showing the bike on it's side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUV...layer_embedded shows plenty of lower engine clearance if the bike ends up on it's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Keep in mind that the SW-MOTECH bars replace the PLASTIC bar with a STEEL tube. We have seen edogs video and in that particular crash on pavement the plastic bar did an excellent job. I doubt I would trust this bar to replace a steel bar in most cases though.

eakins screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 10:42 AM
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #8637
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
is there a consensus as to where the bars should be protecting?
up high or down low? yamaha is protecting lower, whereas most aftermarket is going high. what part really hits 1st? the best looking bars i've seen are the yamaha one with an upper that bolted to it for top to bottom protection.
Hi Bill.

The intention of the SW-MOTECH bars is to cover the most surface area. That doesn't always mean a real tall bar. The angle at which the bar sits can do more to cover the upper regions of the "Tupperware" as someone put it. Here is a great video with aftermath to show the SW-MOTECH bars on a Versys. - We have been unable to find a full time crash dummy to do this on purpose - yet.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #8638
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:

I guess that's partly my point. The stock plastic did an adequate job on it's own, just needs some help protecting the fan area. The R&G's do that without adding the (presumably) extra weight of another piece of steel on each side.

It's all hairsplitting at this point though!

Trevor
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #8639
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Hi Bill.

The intention of the SW-MOTECH bars is to cover the most surface area. That doesn't always mean a real tall bar. The angle at which the bar sits can do more to cover the upper regions of the "Tupperware" as someone put it. Here is a great video with aftermath to show the SW-MOTECH bars on a Versys. - We have been unable to find a full time crash dummy to do this on purpose - yet.

How the hell did that happen? he didn't seem to be going that fast
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #8640
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
How the hell did that happen? he didn't seem to be going that fast
I share an office with the rider. It was really just a matter of fatigue. He had ridden through tons and tons of hairpins and was wiped. Poor guy having to ride through all of those hairpins all day for a week straight. Needless to say I am a little jealous.