Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #8986
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
Mine will take place in my garage. I'm gonna use plain ol dino 10 W 40 for first oil change and later on switch to synthetic (Rotella T6 unless they change formulation). Walmart super tech works for this and superteck filter 7317 or 6607 after skid plate installed. Rear drive is easy too and all nuts and bolts checked anyway.

doctorj
You guys not afraid if problems develop later that they might say it's because you did the service yourself? you didn't know what you were doing?

I don't want any shit from the dealer or Yamaha
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #8987
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
You guys not afraid if problems develop later that they might say it's because you did the service yourself? you didn't know what you were doing?

I guess it kinda depends on how well you know the service manager at your dealer as that is usually the person negotiating with Yamaha on warranty claims on your behalf. Me, I have confidence that the gentleman in question will stand up for his customers as he has already went head to head with Yamaha on my behalf on a previous machine...and the work was 100% covered by Mama Yama. YMMV.
spklbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #8988
Steve in ATL
How ya like me now?

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ View Post
Re: they may want to check the valve clearances.......While the recommended interval for this is something like at 6000 km checking this earlier may not be a bad idea if rough running is suspected.

You need to check your owners manual re: the recommended service intervals.
So do you. The owners manual states 26600 miles (42000km) for valve clearance check.

"The point of the journey is not to arrive - Anything can Happen!"
Steve in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #8989
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Cool2 Super Tenere Valve Adjustment Interval...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ View Post

Re: they may want to check the valve clearances.......While the recommended interval for this is something like at 6000 km checking this earlier may not be a bad idea if rough running is suspected.

Just to clear up any confusion or misinformation...

The Yamaha factory recommended valve adjustment intervals are every 40,000 km (or 24,000 miles) as per page 3-1 of the factory Yamaha European service manual *AND* on page 6-3 of the factory Yamaha European owners manual.

Further, on page 7-3 of the factory Yamaha USA owners manual it says valve adjustment intervals are every 26,600 miles (or 42,000 km)...

So I think everyone who has a new Super Tenere is safe from valve adjustments for a few miles...

And on another note, I've always done all my own maintenance and regular servicing of my bikes, for 40 years, and I've never had a warranty claim problem or issue with a dealer yet based on that.

Just FYI... YMMV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 01:07 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #8990
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 580
So when you guys change your oil, do the copper washers get swapped out for new every time?

D
Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #8991
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
You guys not afraid if problems develop later that they might say it's because you did the service yourself?
Like others have stated, it should not be a problem. Check out the Magnuson-Ferguson Act. Protects consumers from fraudulent warranty rejection.

After 45 years and 60+ bikes, I've never had an issue. If you follow the recommended maintenance schedule in the owners manual and keep a record you should not have any grief.

Now if fill it with "Energy conserving" car oil and the clutch slips, or you swap out the hypoid oil with mayonaise... then you may be on your own.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #8992
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Like others have stated, it should not be a problem. Check out the Magnuson-Ferguson Act. Protects consumers from fraudulent warranty rejection.

After 45 years and 60+ bikes, I've never had an issue. If you follow the recommended maintenance schedule in the owners manual and keep a record you should not have any grief.

Now if fill it with "Energy conserving" car oil and the clutch slips, or you swap out the hypoid oil with mayonaise... then you may be on your own.
I think you guys just swayed me, I have been doing all the services on my other bike, up to 42K miles and no problems but I didn't buy the bike new and it was out of warranty

I am stopping by the dealer and getting the oil and filter, I hope they have it in stock
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #8993
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Oil Filter is a common Yamaha, Easy to service this bike..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #8994
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,182
Quote:

unless yamaha offers to give the oil & filter for free, you are free to choose your own and still keep the warranty...it's the law.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #8995
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
unless yamaha offers to give the oil & filter for free, you are free to choose your own and still keep the warranty...it's the law.
However, if you use a filter that does not specifically indicate it is for the model you are using it on, the manufacturer can deny a warranty claim if the oil filter can be linked to the cause. Eg., oil burning can be shown to be the cause of a filter not listed for use on the Tenere. Filters have blow by devices and other things that are important to the proper flow of oil through your motor/filter. The same logic can be applied to an oil not meeting the specs as listed in your manual.

I do all my own maintenance on my bikes. Always have, with the only exception being the first service. That one is always done by the dealer. After this, I keep a log book stating all the pertinent info and maintain all receipts for parts used. You are completely covered under all warranty issues as a result.

After having gone through the lemon law twice in the last year with BMW and showing them all my records they had not one leg to stand on for anything. Both were bought back. That allowed my Tenere to be paid for in full with money left in the bank.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #8996
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan View Post

After having gone through the lemon law twice in the last year with BMW and showing them all my records they had not one leg to stand on for anything. Both were bought back. That allowed my Tenere to be paid for in full with money left in the bank.

I wonder if they add that to the trade in value statistics,

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #8997
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Might be time for a new user name.

Enjoy the new bike.

sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #8998
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Might be time for a new user name.

Enjoy the new bike.
Yep! can't see how to change it here or I would! I am Firefight911 on the Tenere and BMWST forums.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #8999
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,182
good point if it can be proven.

you can always get a napa gold filter (wix) for the bike as they are top shelf and Wix always reverse-engineers it's filters and uses all the same features oem does. i'm sure some one else will have the part #.

yamaha, of course, is not making filters (nor does any of other mfg) but contracting them out to a filter mfg. per their specs, so there is no magic voodoo in there filters only they can produce.

Quote:
However, if you use a filter that does not specifically indicate it is for the model you are using it on, the manufacturer can deny a warranty claim if the oil filter can be linked to the cause. Eg., oil burning can be shown to be the cause of a filter not listed for use on the Tenere. Filters have blow by devices and other things that are important to the proper flow of oil through your motor/filter. The same logic can be applied to an oil not meeting the specs as listed in your manual.

I do all my own maintenance on my bikes. Always have, with the only exception being the first service. That one is always done by the dealer. After this, I keep a log book stating all the pertinent info and maintain all receipts for parts used. You are completely covered under all warranty issues as a result.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #9000
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard View Post
So when you guys change your oil, do the copper washers get swapped out for new every time?

D
I just did the initial engine oil change at and final drive oil change. The engine oil drain plugs had the nice, copper alloy crush washers on them. The crush washers I got from the dealer are the plated steel jobs.

I left the copper ones in place. The copper crush washers are more conforming to the mating surface of the crankcase and oil pan and I much prefer them to the steel ones. Use a torque wrench when replacing the drain plugs (14 lbs/ft.).

I purchased extra FD oil, so I could drain, flush completely with the extra oil and then refill. I'll do this again at the 1,000 mile change and be good to go with the factory interval after that. I noticed the standard, metallic "glint", when I drained the oil. Guess the various parts are getting to "know", one another!

I used Yamalube 10W-40 dino oil for the first change out, and will use it again at the 1K & 2K mile points. After that I may go with Repsol, AMSOIL or a synthetic blend like Motul, depending on what the drain looks like.

This motor seems to be very tight,and may require more of a "break in", than the manual suggests....

My old, BMW oil head RT, was the same way. It took 5K miles before she started to smooth out and show a relatively "clean" drain.

I'm going to give this new motor a bit more time on the "break-in".

The low end torque of this bike is a real hoot! Kind of like a JD tractor, crossed with a small block Chevy that thinks it's a Formula 1 motor. Hard to describe, obviously....
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote